Riding with none E-bikes has it's perks

PINNACLE

Oct 21, 2020
Guildford
I got my Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 last August mainly because like many I had started riding again after many years. Just prior to getting it I was was trying to use my Whyte 729 which I guess I had done about 1000 miles in 6 years. I found it impossible to keep up going up hills and just as bad going down when out with my 15 year old son. It was worse with mates as they had all been riding for years both road and XC to a high level so I felt bad for them waiting for me every few hundred yards.

The Cube levelled the playing field quite a bit. I now tow my son up quite a few hills if we are out for a long ride and my downhill and trail riding skills are so much better with PB's most weeks and a few bike park days under my belt. My mates don't mind if I go for a quick blast up a steep hill in front of them as it pushes them on to race and we still all catch our breath at the top and then have a blast going down. A couple of them have even ordered full suspension bikes for the downhill fun.

Best yet, I went for a mountain bike ride with my 78 year old dad yesterday (I am 54). He is very fit for his age, still works out and walks approx 6-10km every day rain or shine. I decided to ride the 15 miles to his house, off road (where possible) from just north of Guildford to Dorking, as I was running late I pushed it and used 31% of battery. To keep it fair with my dad I switched the bike off and rode with him like that and only put Eco on a few times. In all I used 5% battery over 12 miles with just over 800 ft of elevation. We had a great ride and it was good to see him still enjoying being on a bike even though he seemed slower going down hill than up.

I then rode back home adding a few trails on the way, either side of the North Downs and back up again. Doing 31 miles there and back to do a 12 mile ride with my father was well worth it and great fun.

IMG_7397.jpg

IMG_7398.jpg

IMG_7400.jpg

I have only done two E-bike only rides with my local shop and both were killers and scary, I need a bit more practice before I go again so will stick with my none E-bike buddies for now.

The strange thing is my dad can easily afford an E-bike but is quite happy with his speed of his Rockhopper but my 15 year old son is already planning on spending his apprenticeship wages on one as soon as he can, just to get more laps in and get KOM on every hill he can ride up.

IMG_7400.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles