• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Riding a Bosch Gen 2 in off mode

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
For a good workout and perhaps battery conservation I sometimes want to ride with the power off. I’ve read a couple of times that riding a Bosch Gen 2 with just leg power is not good for the motor and can wear out particular components. Is there any truth to this?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I ride mine as much as I can in off mode for fitness, it hurts :( , to be honest the only thing I have vaguely heard is don't ride the bike with the system off, as in turned off, keep the bike control turned on but just flick it to off when your feeling brave for a few hills :)
If there was any chance at all of damaging the motor then bosch wouldn't have an off mode on the display ;)

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
The Bosch motor does disconnect from the motor when pedaling with the motor off but uses a 2.5:1 gearing to connect the cranks with the chainring. Like every component, wear will take place when using it but I don't believe it will cause excessive wear on these gears. Might wear your legs and knees a little more.....

EBIKERSJARY

Jan 30, 2020
Dl55ht
I have ridden the Performance Line Gen 2 Motor over 3 years and have done 8000 miles over some very rough and steep terrain including the French Alps twice you should have no worries about using the motor on or off as it still turns all the cogs whether you have the power on or off.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles