Revgrips

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
I think it's going to be a personal feel thing. I've been using them for probably a year or so and have liked them very much thinking that they do make a difference. I recently switched back to regular grips and now I am unsure and maybe it was all placebo. For this reason I'd say pass unless you can get them at a cheap price.

Rob180

Apr 17, 2019
Northern California
I noticed what I would call a small increase in suspension plushness. I’m going to run them from now on. They’re not life changing, but I like them. Fiddley as hell to install though.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I run them on all my MTBs and really like them, I do run them pretty firm with only a single spacer in each end to give only a small rotational twist effect, I didn't personally like too much twist. You can totally remove the twist and just benefit from the bar isolation if you really dislike the action but it is really subtle in the minimum setting.

IME they do help but don't expect arm pump elimination, they can only do so much. I did ride Antur Stiniog with normal Santa Cruz Palmdale and suffered severe arm pump even the next day I suffered .. six weeks later I rode Antur again with Revgrips with hardly any arm pump and I was totally fine the next day (I did have the grips set up max twist and done about 2 less runs but this kind of convinced me). So I bought them for my other bikes... since then i''ve done 2 consecutive days at BPW and had no carry over arm pump.. not scientific but they seem good to me.

They are modular and you can easily change grip sizes and buy replacement parts... though they are very expensive relative to other grips. The other negative is they are more of a faff to install, cutting and fitting all the rubber grommets etc.

I imported my first set but Cyclorise now sell them in the UK.
Revgrips available in the UK through Cyclorise

Ultimately I just bought a new bike (E Bike) and I bought a set of Revgrips for them so yeah I like them but I could see some who may not.

20180524_165413.jpg

and a set on my Ebike

Last edited:

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
I like them so far, they seem to absorb vibration from rocky trails that the forks dont.
Only small problem I had was that they move your hands very slightly inboard and my thumb knuckle kept hitting the dropper lever, easily solved by trimming the "pointy bit" off the lever with a file.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
How do you like them? I am still on the fence

Yeah they are really expensive and IMO only worth trying if you get bad hand fatigue or arm pump.
It certainly wont eliminate arm pump but it does help IME and have helped me on multi day bike park stuff which is the only time I suffer from arm pump.

Yeah they take up more bar room than single clamp design so you need to take your controls inboard a bit to compensate so worth installing first and setting up if you trim your bars length.

So overall if the money isn't an issue and your suffering with arm pump they are worth considering.

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
I have them on 6 of my bikes.. I adjust the firmness on all of them based on the bike I am riding.. My BMX and 26" Dirt jumper/cruiser are really firm. The downhill bike, enduro and Levo are medium and medium soft, and then my hardtail trail bike are soft.

I don't think they are going to solve all arm pump issues, but I absolutely notice a difference.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Been running them for three years and I won’t ride without them. There are a couple threads about them already. Search is your friend

Reactions: 06z

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Alternatively try doing some exercises to specifically tone your hands and forearms for the sort of stresses they encounter on an mtb on rough terrain. Using weights at level 2 on a multi gym would help tone muscle groups and strengthen connective tissue. Using the optimum bar width and sweep for your shoulder width also makes a big difference.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Have been getting trapped nerve in both of my palms over the last couple of years, mostly during long rides on the hardtail, but this problem then transfers over to the other bikes including my ebike. Anyway, i have been using sram foam grips and they seem to really help with the problem. Chainreaction sell them for about £12 each and if like me, you have a few bikes, they may be a cheaper alternative.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Glad you found a way to deal with it. It may help you to identify which of the 3 main nerves in the hand is being affected. The ulnar nerve is the most vulnerable because it is closer to the skin and largely affects the outer 3rd of the palm and both little and ring fingers. If indeed that were the case with you the width and sweep of the bars ( and some grips with ergonomic design) can reduce pressure on the outer portion of the palm. A lot of people do little manual work these days so it is not surprising activities like mtb can end up being painful; which is why I also suggested using weights to build up the muscle tissue in the hands and forearms...….that in turn provides more protection for nerves and joints.

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
Glad you found a way to deal with it. It may help you to identify which of the 3 main nerves in the hand is being affected. The ulnar nerve is the most vulnerable because it is closer to the skin and largely affects the outer 3rd of the palm and both little and ring fingers. If indeed that were the case with you the width and sweep of the bars ( and some grips with ergonomic design) can reduce pressure on the outer portion of the palm. A lot of people do little manual work these days so it is not surprising activities like mtb can end up being painful; which is why I also suggested using weights to build up the muscle tissue in the hands and forearms...….that in turn provides more protection for nerves and joints.
What kind of weight exercises do you suggest for a senior citizen (old Man)?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Shoulder press, lat pull, bicep curl. All engage shoulder forearm wrist and hand muscles. I am 69 and do them. You need to do them properly however. Level 2 is designed to develop lean muscle...so not body building level 3 or aerobic level 1 . Level 2 is usually 3 sets of 12 reps per set with weights of 60 to 70% of the max weight you can clean once only.

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
Shoulder press, lat pull, bicep curl. All engage shoulder forearm wrist and hand muscles. I am 69 and do them. You need to do them properly however. Level 2 is designed to develop lean muscle...so not body building level 3 or aerobic level 1 . Level 2 is usually 3 sets of 12 reps per set with weights of 60 to 70% of the max weight you can clean once only.
Thank you!

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Have been getting trapped nerve in both of my palms over the last couple of years, mostly during long rides on the hardtail, but this problem then transfers over to the other bikes including my ebike. Anyway, i have been using sram foam grips and they seem to really help with the problem. Chainreaction sell them for about £12 each and if like me, you have a few bikes, they may be a cheaper alternative.

This can be caused by bike setup and too much weight on your hands. Another culprit is the wrong diameter grips. IME avoid all that palm padding and use plain palms... counter intuitive but it ensures your grip diameter is consistent. For me too large a grip and/or glove padding kills my hands... when I first started biking many years ago big Gel pads were in and these cause me no end of grief... I never touch gloves with anything but ultra thin or preferably no padding now.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
What kind of weight exercises do you suggest for a senior citizen (old Man)?

If your pain is going into the thumb index and middle finger it's carpel tunnel syndrome and the best exercises are wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, starting with very light weights such as 5 pounds even and gradually increasing by 10% as rapidly as the symptoms will allow.
I really favor the ultra slow method for weight lifting for older athletes: 10 seconds to raise the weight/ 10 seconds to lower it, w/ 5 to 8 reps, one set and you're done, 3 days per week religiously. Once you get up to where you're working with 15 to 20 pounds symptoms are usually gone. Hope this helps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles