Replacing Acros Blocklock Headset (Scott Genius 920)

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
Hi all!

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on what to replace my headset with? Currently fitted to my Scott Genius eRide 920 is this (from the website): "Acros Blocklock / Tapered 1.5"-1 1/8", OD 52/62mm, ID 44/56mm"

It's started creaking, I'm not sure I like (or need?) the blocklock system, it uses weird spacers that can't easily be replaced and it seems to have a lot of plastic parts including the upper taper lock. I'd like to replace it with something more standard but I'm a bit lost with what standard this actually is, and again not sure if I need to retain the blocklock system?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020
Omega
My eRide 930 has the Scott Forkstop headset and creaks worse than my knees. I want to replace it but wondering if the forkstop is absolutely necessary. All suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
My eRide 930 has the Scott Forkstop headset and creaks worse than my knees. I want to replace it but wondering if the forkstop is absolutely necessary. All suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Haha same here.

I did have a look at the headset recently, removed the fork, added a small amount of grease on the races etc and reassembled, this did stop the creaking... for about 10 miles lol.

When I get time I'll work out a suitable replacement including determining if the fork hits the frame and thus if the blocklock is really required, and report back here (remembering the 'when I get time' bit lol)

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
Has it really been over a year? Definitely time to do something about the now very creaky headset that's started feeling weird too. Massive thanks to @bmxmarty above for posting their clever solution but I'm planning to keep the knock block & thought I'd share what I have done/am doing in case it helps anyone out.

I've worked out the headset is essentially just a standard, semi-integrated ZS44/56 with the knock block portion solely within the lower cup & race. The upper headset it just a standard ZS44 & I wish I'd have realised this sooner as I'd have replaced that to remove all the nasty plastic parts. The propietary spacers, compression ring and dust seal are all plastic.

Here's what I'm planning:
  • Replace the lower headset completely with the same Acros part, the one in my Scott has worn badly on the race and the bearing is notchy & dry hence starting to feel weird. The Acros part number is 51.02.610S-120
  • Replace the upper headset completely with any good quality ZS44 part (nothing with plastic)
IMG_20240916_152730853.jpg IMG_20240916_152845472.jpg IMG_20240916_155703010.jpg IMG_20240916_155714427.jpg

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
Headset replaced today, it would seem the creaking has gone but I'm going for a proper ride tomorrow so I'll see then...

Notes: Acros headset arrived with sachets of carbon assembly paste (to help stop it rotating in the frame) and bearing anti-rust assembly grease. A nice touch which helps justify it's near £70 cost lol. It went in without a hitch but I had to make a wooden washer to go over the headset press due to the knock block notch.

For the upper assembly I chose a Hope Mix ‘N’ Match ZS44. It went in ok although the hole in the frame is a little undersized. It took a go or two but once it started to go in straight it pressed in without issue.

It looks so much better now & hopefully no more creaking.
We have enough different standards without something as basic as headset spacers being proprietary (and did I mention they were plastic? 🙃)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles