Recommended Pivot/Headset bearing set/supplier

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Hi all, looking to do a bearing swap - back of swing arm were goosed (had some old ones in a drawer) so decided I might as well do the lot.

Obviously want good bearings, any UK supplier recommended??

Also whats the word on the headset/bearings, stripped a while ago and was all fine, but might be worth swapping the bearings out at 1300 Pennine miles now?

Bike is a 2022 H30....

Ta

Last edited:

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hi all, looking to do a bearing swap - back of swing arm were goosed (had some old ones in a drawer) so decided I might as well do the lot.

Obviously want good bearings, any UK supplier recommended??

Also whats the word on the headset/bearings, stripped a while ago and was all fine, but might be worth swapping the bearings out at 1300 Pennine miles now?

Bike is a 2022 H30....

Ta
LeeS69,

The integrated tapered headset that comes on the 2022 H30 Rise is made by Acros. The headset is your typical budget headset. The upper bearing is a IS-42mm tapered bearing and the lower is a IS-52mm tapered bearing.

The ruggedness of the terrain and you area weather conditions , i.e. repeated exposure to moisture will dictate how long the headset bearings will last. I like to ride rocky terrain and the Acros headset on my Rise lasted about a year before the bearings lost their smoothness and became notchy and stiff.

Often times, a headset bearing need only be serviced for it to perform perfectly. There are some detailed You Tube videos which detail how to service headset bearings. Note, if you do service your headset bearings, be careful to not overpack the bearing with grease. This is a common mistake and it will cause your headset to feel very stiff and resistant to turning.

Depending upon your financial budget, you have several options when it comes to servicing/replacing the headset. The cheapest method is to source and replace the individual bearing that has failed. You can pick up a single IS-42 or IS-52 bearing online via Amazon, eBay, or bike shop.

Orbea sells a complete Acros replacement headset on the "Spare Parts" section of it's website.

Whenever possible, try to upgrade to the best parts you can get for your bike. When I buy a new bike, I will usually buy the cheapest base model of the bike. I then swap the premium parts on my old bike and install them on the new bike. I then install the new bike's lower grade components onto the old bike and offer the bike up for sell. In the long term premium parts will last longer and you'll always have a well equipped bike. I recognize that sometimes the wallet and wife will dictate what a person can buy. It's a cruel world....

I personally like Chris King headsets. There are other quality headsets such as those made by Hope, Wolftooth, etc. I would avoid budget head sets such as Cane Creeks 40 series headsets. The 40 series will corrode and rust out in your wet British weather. If you decide to go Chris King on your Rise, the Rise takes a "Dropset 2" Chris King headset. I like Chris King headsets because they come with a lifetime warranty. A Chris King headset isn't cheap, but the headset will go the distance with proper servicing. I have a DropSet 2 Chris King headset which I've transferred bike to bike. The headset now has over 9,000 miles (14,480 Km) on it and it feels just as smooth as when it was new.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 06.06.50.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-02 06.07.08.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles