Rear Wheel Removal

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My neighbour has just brought his new Cube Stereo140 TM 29 round to me to ask how to remove the back wheel.
It looks like the through axle is removed with a titchy 5mm allen ket but it is in so tiight that the allen key is bending. All my bikes use a stronger 6mm allen key.
Am I missing something as I don't want to risk breaking anything or stripping threads?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Maybe a blast of penetration oil on the threaded end and make sure the allen key is a tight fit and inserted as far as possible.

1644173659816.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Use an allen key socket rather than a bendy allen key. Torque varies with brand but usually c 12nm so quite a bit for an allen key especially if the thru axle thread was not greased when last installed.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Are you sure you are on the correct end of the axle.

Yes, the other end has the 8mm allen nut that holds the universal dropout in place.
I was hoping a Cube owner would confirm that a 5mm allen key is the correct size and that it is a normal through axle, albeit with a less than substantial mechanical interface than I am used to and that it just needs a good wallop to get it moving.

It's not my bike so I don't want to break anything.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The thru axle on my wife's Cube Access is 5mm.............I think Cube use either Syntace or Newmen 12mm thru axles.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think those thru axles have a chamfered inner face on the head....or sometime a separate chamfered washer. That is probably where dust/mud etc has settled causing the thru axle to be difficult to undo. Sounds a little counter-intuitive but I grease that face a well as the threads when I refit that type of thru axle. Whether it is 12 nm or more torque you re not likely to have anything more than a multi tool out on the trail so it needs to be able to be removed easily with jut a multitool for puncture repair etc.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Sounds a little counter-intuitive but I grease that face a well as the threads when I refit that type of thru axle.

Right on, sir! The grease helps seal out scrunge, inhibits galling, and eliminates potential creaks. Grease is cheap. There's no reason to not put a thin film on there.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks guys, once I knew there was nothing unusual about the through axle, other than the utilization of a farty little 5mm orifice in the bolt, I gave it all the power my 70+ year old muscles could muster (with a socket wrench rather than a bendy allen key) and it gave in.
Copper grease applied in case of trail side emergencies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles