Rear wheel change - potential problems

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Im about to do a swop on the rear wheel(and front) from the specced shimano to nice Hope pro4 ones, and for the life of me i cant get it out of my head that this is going to somehow cause me issues with the motor/calibration settings.
The rear wheel currently is a Syncros MD30 30mm and im swopping it to a Hope enduro which has a 23mm internal width. Its an older one, i got in the recent Evans sale and though im using it with a 2.25" I dont see any problems width wise. Thats not really the issue.
I think the issue is the overall diameter is going to change slightly. Yes its still a 29er, but theres obviously going to be a slight difference.

So question is, Is it a straight swop over, and all will work just fine, or am i going to have calibration problem, as the system was initially set up on the syncros. Im concerned its not going to recognize it and just not work and give me an error code.

I need to swop the wheels because the specced shimano are center mount rotors and im fitting Hope V4 calipers, along with the newer V4 Ebike rotor(2.3mm) which are 6 bolt. The specced SM-RT64 CL 203mm rotors are not really ideal for V4 calipers, so best keeping the brake system together with the proper rotors.
Im intending on having the lbs i got the bike from fit the rear brake, as its internal and involves dropping the motor, and tbh i dont want to get involved in that in case i mess it up, crush a cable or some dumb thing. Plus it keeps me in with them, and thats always a good thing.

It is a complete faff around, but im not to keen on the specced shimano brakes and id much rather have Hope fitted. It's just the slight changes on the rear rim have me a little concerned, so I thought I'd run it by you lot before making the changes.

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
There won't be any error codes.

The overall wheel diameter difference is so small that you likely won't notice it.

One thing to check is the speed sensor magnet. Is it mounted on the spokes or read brake rotor? If it's on the brake rotor, make sure the new brake rotors are compatible. If the magnet is on the spoke, magnet distance to the speed sensor may need some adjusting because of the possible difference on the spoke lacing and rim nipple spacing.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
There won't be any error codes.

The overall wheel diameter difference is so small that you likely won't notice it.

One thing to check is the speed sensor magnet. Is it mounted on the spokes or read brake rotor? If it's on the brake rotor, make sure the new brake rotors are compatible. If the magnet is on the spoke, magnet distance to the speed sensor may need some adjusting because of the possible difference on the spoke lacing and rim nipple spacing.
Far as i can see the magnet is mounted on the rotor. Just checked- yes it is. Its an RT-EM600 CL 203mm
Pictured-
205715-626545_1_Supersize.jpg

I believe it can be replaced with this magnet- listed as Bosch magnet for 6 bolt rotors.
The compatability code is for the drive unit- Performance line CX BDU480 CX. Magnet compatibility code states for BDU4xx and BDU3xx, so that should make it compatible.
Pic -
Bosch-Magnet-fur-6-Loch-Bremsscheibe-1270015728.jpg

Motor code is listed here - page 11.

Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have thought to take a look for compatibility codes. :cool:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles