Rear mech failure

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
Has anyone else suffered from a rear mech failure on their Levo?

I’m currently in Austria and went for a ride yesterday that was a 1300m climb over a 10mile distance. Less than 100m from the end of the ride (on an almost flat section) my rear mech completely snapped near to the hanger, went into the wheel and made a bit of a mess!

Whats weird is that at the time I was in 3rd gear (which rules out a spoke strike as that would only really happen in 1st gear) and as I had almost run my battery flat on the climb (Blevo gave me 2 miles remaining) I was in eco mode with assistance set manually to 10%. Basically it looks like the mech just failed.

Thanks to an English speaking Austrian who had a chain breaker, a quick mountain top modification allowed me to convert my bike to a “single speed” bike so that I could get back down the mountain, luckily it really was downhill all the way! The only real problem was that as the suspension compressed the chain pulled tight so what was supposed to be a fast downhill became a ‘nurse it home downhill’

I have managed to source a new rear mech from a local shop, but my wheel is buckled due to a bent spoke, the mech hanger also needed to be tweaked and I’m 100euro out of pocket for a new mech

Does anyone think this could be a warranty claim?

Darren

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Has anyone else suffered from a rear mech failure on their Levo?

I’m currently in Austria and went for a ride yesterday that was a 1300m climb over a 10mile distance. Less than 100m from the end of the ride (on an almost flat section) my rear mech completely snapped near to the hanger, went into the wheel and made a bit of a mess!

Whats weird is that at the time I was in 3rd gear (which rules out a spoke strike as that would only really happen in 1st gear) and as I had almost run my battery flat on the climb (Blevo gave me 2 miles remaining) I was in eco mode with assistance set manually to 10%. Basically it looks like the mech just failed.

Thanks to an English speaking Austrian who had a chain breaker, a quick mountain top modification allowed me to convert my bike to a “single speed” bike so that I could get back down the mountain, luckily it really was downhill all the way! The only real problem was that as the suspension compressed the chain pulled tight so what was supposed to be a fast downhill became a ‘nurse it home downhill’

I have managed to source a new rear mech from a local shop, but my wheel is buckled due to a bent spoke, the mech hanger also needed to be tweaked and I’m 100euro out of pocket for a new mech

Does anyone think this could be a warranty claim?

Darren
Based on your explanation it is obvious that this happened due to an inferior component and therefore you are supposed to be covered under warranty - the big challenge is to convince the shop where you bought the bike, I hope that you have a good relationship!

Karsten

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
The exact same thing happened to me, like for a second there I thought I made this post even though I haven’t.
Only difference was I was in eco, lowest gear, crawling up a hill at less than walking pace. (Waiting for my analogue mate)
Luckily for me I always carry tools. I even had a spare chain, so I played with different lengths and then proceeded to hammer my single speed Kenevo straight back to the car.

Admittedly my mech had a bit of lean from all the strikes it’s copped, but still it broke on the two thickest parts of the hanger. Lbs wouldn’t cover it as the scratches told them it was my fault. Fair call as I know I’ve bashed it many a times.
I just replaced it at my cost and has been going strong since. No biggie!

81629D49-F9F6-4409-932A-6A9CF553B7B6.jpeg

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Yeh mine did that. Probably related to the tree I hit it on a couple of days before.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
I can say for sure that mine had not suffered any previous strikes, I’ve even looked at the old mech again and there are no marks other than those caused with this failure.

I’ve been out for a decent ride today (15miles / 800m climb and descend) and have to say that the new GX I have fitted to replace the broken NX is a much smoother gear change.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I thought the mech hanger or the bolt securing it was supposed to break before the mech did.

I've bent a couple of hangers, theyre very fragile and easily with the weight of the kenevo on them. The odd part when I snapped the mech is I was climbing and it wasn't an impact, it just snapped.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles