Rail (625Wh) Reach adjust headset

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Hi all, picked up an XL Rail 7 that's a little big and was thinking about a Works reach adjust headset (bike enroute).
Anyone tried one or know the equivalent headset sizes for the Rail? I believe upper is a ZS49/28.6 but I'm not sure about the lower...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Besides the stem spacers, shorter stem length, you could adjust the seat distance. Bar angle ? You’ll need to find your happy geometry. Tough to do with a frame that’s too large, but it’s possible.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
I did this with my dh bike, with a works components reach adjust headset. I started with a shorter stem and then changed the headset to bring it in a little more. Not had it long enough to give a durability report. With sizes you really need to look up your exact frame specs as I’ve seen conflicting information about the trek rails lower bearing sizes. If you can’t find the info online then it’s a dismantle and measure the headset cup size yourself to see what you will need

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Besides the stem spacers, shorter stem length, you could adjust the seat distance. Bar angle ? You’ll need to find your happy geometry. Tough to do with a frame that’s too large, but it’s possible.
Yes - 35mm stem with a few spacers under it, 9deg sweep bar and a reach adjust headset should do it.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
I did this with my dh bike, with a works components reach adjust headset. I started with a shorter stem and then changed the headset to bring it in a little more. Not had it long enough to give a durability report. With sizes you really need to look up your exact frame specs as I’ve seen conflicting information about the trek rails lower bearing sizes. If you can’t find the info online then it’s a dismantle and measure the headset cup size yourself to see what you will need
Durability will be interesting. My bike has had a CC Forty ZS49 upper fitted, but I'm not sure if the lower is ZS or integrated, so a reach adjust headset may not be possible. Have to wait to get it in my hands...

UYHL5330.JPEG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles