Range Extender or Spare Battery

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I have some friends who go out into the wilderness on long rides, and camp overnight in Alpine regions.

I want to join them, but need to ensure I don't run out of battery, as the return ride can be brutal without assistance and a full load. Quite dangerous to get caught out and it gets dark before you return.

I have a 640wh Shimano battery. And rather than get a range extender. As it's super simple to swap batteries. I'd just buy a spare battery and carry it in my pack, then swap when needed.

The main reasons.

1) I am not carrying the excess weight of the range extender on every ride
2) It gives me a complete spare battery
3) It costs the same either way
4) It doubles my range rather than extending it.
5) It's just simpler.

Am I missing anything ? Thoughts.

BTW. I have Di2 shifting. So if my battery runs out. I can't shift.

BTW. This is the spare battery in $AUD. So roughly 450 pounds. And this store is about 10km from where I live. So I can pick it up.

1719284653924.png

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Oh and EPIC Bikes in Australia do a range extender for the Shimano EP6 or EP801. But it's quite expensive to install. Around AUD$900 for the 250wh version.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Go for an extra battery! I have been riding this way since 2019. With the shimano bike i have two 504 wh wich are now less than 80% capacity. On the bosch, cube bike, I use one 625 and one 500 with an adapter and this allows me to use the lighter battery on shorter rides and choose witch one I’ll carry on the backpack when needed.

dirtdinner

Jun 25, 2024
Australia
It probably makes sense for you, but your points 1 and 5 are wrong.

1 - you don't need to take the range extender on every ride..just take it off.

5 - some bikes are simple to replace the battery, but it's not simpler than just plugging in the range extender.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
It probably makes sense for you, but your points 1 and 5 are wrong.

1 - you don't need to take the range extender on every ride..just take it off.

5 - some bikes are simple to replace the battery, but it's not simpler than just plugging in the range extender.
Re weight : I meant the battery cage and wiring harness for the extender. That will always be there.

The other thing I meant regarding weight. Is I sometimes need to lift the bike over fallen trees and branches in the national park, as you are not allowed to touch them. Only the certified track maintenance people can clear the track, and they can take weeks to come through.

Having the weight in my backpack rather than on the bike, means I'm not lifting the additional extender weight. Same situation when you are using uplift.

My bike is about 24kg. And really at the limit of what I want to be lifting over, or onto things.

Re simpler : I meant that I don't have to install a wiring harness and battery mount with a spare battery. Also, If you look at the EPIC Bikes extender for the Shimano that I posted the link for. The cable comes out of the frame, and is always there flapping around when the extender is not there.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
620Wh 2nd battery, or 250Wh extender? What additional range do you want?
For bigger rides, I ride with a 2nd battery, no extender available when I made my choice.

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
Re weight : I meant the battery cage and wiring harness for the extender. That will always be there.

The other thing I meant regarding weight. Is I sometimes need to lift the bike over fallen trees and branches in the national park, as you are not allowed to touch them. Only the certified track maintenance people can clear the track, and they can take weeks to come through.

Having the weight in my backpack rather than on the bike, means I'm not lifting the additional extender weight. Same situation when you are using uplift.

My bike is about 24kg. And really at the limit of what I want to be lifting over, or onto things.

Re simpler : I meant that I don't have to install a wiring harness and battery mount with a spare battery. Also, If you look at the EPIC Bikes extender for the Shimano that I posted the link for. The cable comes out of the frame, and is always there flapping around when the extender is not there.
To each his own, but several of my friends riding very popular brands have had issues with range extender electrical connections and power transfer being reliable. Personally I feel the weight of E-bikes is a positive, especially on full power bikes adding to stability, tracking prowess, confidence and speed carry cross country and down hill. More is more.

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
Sure. Unless you need to pick the bike up ...... Try this with a 30kg behemoth. :ROFLMAO:

I almost mentioned picking the bike up as the only negative as far as I'm concerned, but figured it was too obvious. For me, a small price to pay to avoid range anxiety and reduced power, given smaller batteries invariably come on bikes with smaller power output. The SL for example, as Spec calls it, is a gimmick as far as I'm concerned, introduced to lure Buyers who would otherwise not make the switch from analog to motorized due to our pre-programed weight worries. I'm actually a bit shocked sales are still adequate to justify continued production. I'm 5'9"/165, 70 years old, still happy to lift a little more weight up onto the rack and over down trees in exchange for the many positives of so called full power EMTB's.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles