range anxiety my ****

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
got round Tarw Du at Coed Y Brenin on Saturday, 18km 457m of climbing (lots of it steep), on 60Wh (12% of my battery).

mostly I was on eco at 10% support, had it turned off on the flats and gentler climbs, and the occasional touch of trail mode to get round stabby bends.

I was riding with my clockwork buddies, who are a fit bunch (on clockwork they could drop me if they wanted). I went their pace and helped out with sweeping and group management. So I wasn't cranking at e-bike pace but I noticed the climbs they were stalling or blowing on I was stepped back to just puffing. So I wasn't faster, but it was absolutely easier.

We did the Beast in the afternoon, I had the leg strength and juice to do the last climb and descent that the rest bypassed. The beast cost me 838m 313Wh, including towing a knackered mate up some of the climbs, and going full trail gas for the last climb.

conclusion - with a little technique and effort, legs will give out well before the battery while still getting an e-bike benefit. unless you're really out in the wilderness and range is safety critical (in which case carry a spare), or perhaps health issues that change the game, forget about range worries.

(I weigh 80kg. '19 Levo Carbon Comp with 500Wh battery).

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles