Rampage '23

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
This is my feeling too. DH is a known quantity where riders walk the track, practice the lines and ultimately choose a level of jeopardy they're willing to take within a set environmentt. Rampage by contrast has one upping baked in & that has go wrong written all over it.

Maybe I'll pull on my big boy pants one day but I dislike it as a concept & more so since it's a judged event, wide open to bias that creates a feedback loop to the riders risk taking. For me it's flawed by design.

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
I think its the best event of the year and look forward to watching the builds and event.

The rider is in complete control, they build what they are riding, if they go to big and hurt themselves well that is on them.

as far as judging, well so many sports are like that and usually the winner is obvious.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Caught Brendog's canyon gap first attempt on I gram and he nailed it.....if you watch his build video's it looks impossible and kudos to the boy and his crew for even thinking it could be achieved. For sure will be tuned in on Friday!
Yeah that was pretty nuts. I heard them say that they figured out that the amount of vertical drop on the run in equals the distance of the gap with a well rolled in surface.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Gee looking good I thought.

TELEMMGLPICT000299009750_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq69fD36Z3CN_HTLdFKJRGX72qg64PwfpWTVsk1bt9MkQ.jpeg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Must admit Bienve trying for ten minutes to stop crying so he could say he wasn't doing a second run before going up for a second run identical to his first was pretty cool.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
OK, I'll say it, Brendog got robbed. That was a podium ride if ever I saw one. Exposure, tricks, style it had it all. Beat out by a caveman.......two of them actually

Edit: Another thing that has developed in the last 8 hrs. is that there are some RedBull "highlight" reels being posted and I could care less about them whereas with other events I follow I might just to relive the experience? I would rather forget about this one and doubt I will get very excited for next years event. And for sure have sworn off RedBull as an energy drink forever....well, actually I haven't partaken of that swill for years. Seriously I am not sure who is actually in charge of this event but they really need to get their head out of their arse and open it up to at least the perception that the best riders will reach the podium.

Last edited:

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I couldn't make it through Claws post because in my mind the event went a different way than the judges saw it and it's hard to get over that, after all it is just an event and my choice doesn't always win.

To me taking the entire event from the airport to the final corral in this day and age of social media and where we get an inside look into the athletes and their dig crew's efforts Brendan, Olly and Deaks won hands down. Olly and Deaks work on the hill, how long did it take Olly to chip that run in with that rock bar? The decision to even try something that others weren't even looking at because it was out of touch for them and their miindset to me counts for a lot of points if the rider then proceeds to slay his chosen line. The canyon gap and battleship were mental and showed a spirit of "let's not do the same old Sender" that the boys carried off really well.

Most of all I am just sad that they can't all be buying side by sides with the prize money. However I wouldn't wish that scourge on our brothers across the pond. While they were useful for the crews in that environment overall here in the U.S. they are a pain in the ass in the backcountry.

Side x Side Bird.JPG

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Was hoping for a response as classy as this from the lads. The In and Out hats and Olly's ability to maneuver a big ass pick up on unfamiliar congested roads while podcasting and driving on the unfamiliar side.....well lets just say I couldn't pull that off in England in a Mini!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles