Rail 9.8XT 2022 vs Specialized Turbo Levo Comp carbon 2022

1fox

Apr 3, 2022
Portugal
I’m about to buy my first emtb.

After a lot of reading, narrowed my choice to the two bikes on the tittle.

I’m 186cm.
on the rail I’m an L. on the Levo on the edge of the S4.

The price of the trek is a bit higher but the components seem also better.
the Levo looks nicer and the app is on another level.

What’s your opinion?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
The specialized is £1320 more expensive over here in NZ but I’d take the Trek for 4 reasons.

1. it’s a full 29er and I prefer them for taller riders over mullets
2. Shimano brakes - enough said
3. Shimano XT gearing over NX/GX
4. Bosch battery is larger.

Growmac

Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Have you test ridden them both ? I ride an S4 Enduro, and I've just bought the 2021 9.8 XT in L, I'm very comfortable on both and I'm only 180 cm with an 82 cm inside leg. You're quite a bit taller than me, I'd expect the L to be pretty small on you, but obviously there's a large degree of preference there.

Why 2021 for me? I decided the larger battery wasn't worth the extra £1,500, and there's an option to chip the 2021 too, which might matter if I sell it on.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
The specialized is £1320 more expensive over here in NZ but I’d take the Trek for 4 reasons.

1. it’s a full 29er and I prefer them for taller riders over mullets
2. Shimano brakes - enough said
3. Shimano XT gearing over NX/GX
4. Bosch battery is larger.

Levo Comp Carbon comes with Sram GX which is pretty good and Sram Code RS brakes can easily get fixed with aftermarket pads for more power along with some fine tuning to get that perfect lever throw...but the majority of people prefer to just throw them in the garbage before even trying to get them setup properly.

Anyway, overwall specs are better on the Rail 9.8XT, battery is larger & much easier to remove.

The Rail would be near perfect if it wasn't for that badly integrated Bosch screen & tacky controller.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
I test rode a levo and a rail before buying a levo - but I hired the levo overnight . So got to ride it on trails - never rode the rail on trails - Probably would of bought a rail if I could of rode one off road - anyways both great bikes - all the computer stuff is just bullshit anyway - ride both of road and you will know.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I’m in the same position, both good bikes. I’ve gone for the Levo. It’s an expensive bike but I prefer the integration and the geometry of the Levo. Also managed to get good discount. LBS support was also a big factor, my local shop will usually do a same day repair on Levo’s.

Jimmy22

Dec 25, 2021
Calgary
I’m in the same position, both good bikes. I’ve gone for the Levo. It’s an expensive bike but I prefer the integration and the geometry of the Levo. Also managed to get good discount. LBS support was also a big factor, my local shop will usually do a same day repair on Levo’s.
If you do go for the Levo you may want to try out an S5 as well. I have a 2021 comp alloy (L) 29er and a S4 2022 comp carbon wt fox factory upgrades. I’m 188 cm, the 2021 fits me and is stable on fast rough decents although a bit sluggish in the tight stuff. The 2022 S4 feels a bit small, the new geo is nimble but had to go full slack on the geo to keep it from being too twitchy on the downs. Slx brakes are slightly better than RS but GX drivetrain is a night and day improvement over slx. I ride in turbo a lot and shimano components don’t seem to like the torque of an ebike. I would buy either bike again…although an S5 may fit better.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
If you do go for the Levo you may want to try out an S5 as well. I have a 2021 comp alloy (L) 29er and a S4 2022 comp carbon wt fox factory upgrades. I’m 188 cm, the 2021 fits me and is stable on fast rough decents although a bit sluggish in the tight stuff. The 2022 S4 feels a bit small, the new geo is nimble but had to go full slack on the geo to keep it from being too twitchy on the downs. Slx brakes are slightly better than RS but GX drivetrain is a night and day improvement over slx. I ride in turbo a lot and shimano components don’t seem to like the torque of an ebike. I would buy either bike again…although an S5 may fit better.

Good to know. I actually like shorter (by today’s standards) more twitchy geometry. Having said that, the S4 is longer and slacker than my YT Jeffsy, so hopefully it’s a good fit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles