Rail 9.8 XT or GX - 600gr difference?

toreador

Apr 21, 2020
Berlin
On the Trek website, the Rail 9.8 XT version has a significantly lower total weight of about 600 grams compared to the regular GX version.
9.8 XT weight: M - 21.34 kg / 47.04 lbs (with TLR sealant, no tubes) | 9.8 GX weight: M - 21.92 kg / 48.33 lbs (with TLR sealant, no tubes)

Apart from the gear group only the crank arms are different ("E*thirteen E*spec Plus, 15T, 165 mm length" vs "SRAM X1 1000, 15T, 165 mm length").
I suspect that the weight is probably a mistake, because according to various information on the web, the difference in weight between Sram GX and Shimano XT is only a few grams.

Or is there really such a difference?
Apart from that, is there a good reason to prefer one version over the other?
Which one would you take?

Links to the two product pages:
Rail 9.8 XT | Trek Bikes (GB)
Rail 9.8 | Trek Bikes (GB)

Billy Rail

May 3, 2020
N17 7BD
On the Trek website, the Rail 9.8 XT version has a significantly lower total weight of about 600 grams compared to the regular GX version.
9.8 XT weight: M - 21.34 kg / 47.04 lbs (with TLR sealant, no tubes) | 9.8 GX weight: M - 21.92 kg / 48.33 lbs (with TLR sealant, no tubes)

Apart from the gear group only the crank arms are different ("E*thirteen E*spec Plus, 15T, 165 mm length" vs "SRAM X1 1000, 15T, 165 mm length").
I suspect that the weight is probably a mistake, because according to various information on the web, the difference in weight between Sram GX and Shimano XT is only a few grams.

Hi dude I bought the 9.8 GX and I really quite like the shimano slx brakes and I can't fault the 12speed sram drivetrain yet. Of course these bikes are a bit bulky but honestly set it up tubeless and swap out a few bolts for ti and that weight difference will be nothing. I was feeling awkward about the 29er wheels at first but boy is this a fast bike and the size of the wheels just helps keep everything a bit more comfortable. I will be spending money on the new air cartridge for the lyrik forks because I do notice it dive too much. Almost makes me want to bump it up to 170mm travel but I'm going to ask on here and see if anyones done it.

mtndug

May 21, 2020
Ashland Oregon, USA

I went XT on my Rail 9.8 due to the closer ratios in the gearing. I've never worried about weight since I'm always a few kilos overweight!

Like a Boss

Feb 25, 2020
USA
One reason to prefer one over the other is simply what your other bikes have. sram has dominated 1x drivetrains in the last couple of years. So many mtber’s have other sRAM bikes. That’s said, my opinion is that shimano 1x12 is very good now that it is here. And shimano XT makes a strong case against sram GX at the price point. With sram, XO1 is where magic begins, but at a considerably higher price point. Shimano is arguably better at the lower price points. Better how? Shift quality perhaps? Weight isn’t as big of a deal at this weight (47 pounds) as shift quality.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand

The GX version well have a NX cassette which is all steel, durable but heavy. Not sure what the weight difference is compared to the SLX,I prefer the SLX ,is there a price difference?

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
You have a lot more options than NZ, we dont get any 9.9 , we do get the sram 9.8 , 9 and the only Shimano model the 7
The 9.8 does look like the best bang for buck if looking at the top end bikes, looks like the xtr model is lightest under 21kg with tubeless.

datonetti

Jun 9, 2020
Lodi, ca 95240
I decided on the 9.8 XT. Currently running SRAM GX Eagle on my SC Bronson, the GX is good and reliable. Just something about the precision of Shimano that feels right. Been running XTR since the 90’s, the new stuff is nice but not worth the $$$ IMHO.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles