Rail 9 “ting, ting, ting” noise?

Dhmorelia

May 5, 2021
Australia
Hi everyone,
I have a Trek Rail 9 2021. It’s only done about 300km. I’ve recently noticed a metallic “ting” “ting” noise. It’s only just started to be obvious. It seems to come from the front and rear, mainly front (but hard to pinpoint). I can’t find the source. It occurs occasionally when travelling in a straight line but more often when turning left or right. Could it be coming from the brakes or spokes?
I can’t find an obvious issue.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
most likely front disc and if predominantly when you turn the thru axle may not be tight enough allowing the wheel ( +disc) to move very slightly and the disc then rubs a gainst 2 of the pads.

Dhmorelia

May 5, 2021
Australia
Thanks both. Ive just cleaned and centred the brakes. The ”ting” noise is definitely coming from the front brake. I can hear it when I spin the wheel after clean and centreing. Not sure why I can still hear It. I’ll inspect more closely. Disc might need a minor straighten still (I‘ve already straightened it).

thanks for your help.

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
I had the front brake housing actually rubbing on the disc making an occasional noise. Luck it didn’t get jammed in the disc. You can see the paint removed on the disc side of the brake housing just where one bolt attaches to the frame. Worth a check. This goes away when the brake is re-centred, but was not the pads rubbing.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I had this noise only really while climbing when turning or just after a tight turn - couldn't work it out. Turned out it was my rear wheel not tightened enough causing the wheel to move a small amount.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had this noise only really while climbing when turning or just after a tight turn - couldn't work it out. Turned out it was my rear wheel not tightened enough causing the wheel to move a small amount.
same...but on the front wheel.

N/A

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
My Rail 7 with Bontrager rims also makes this noise. I think it's from the way these rims are constructed - more info here:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
some time a go I spent ages trying to find the source of a clicking noise..........I actually described it as a ticking sound and it was most noticeable when there was less general trail noise, especially for example on a stretch of tarmac. For me it was on the back wheel. Using my phone to video I not only narrowed it down to the back wheel but also to a specific point on the circumference of the wheel/tyre. It turned out to be small fold of the tubeless tape on the edge of the rim where the tyre bead sits. Although just the thickness of the tape folded over once it was enough to produce a high spot on the tyre where a small section of the bead was not seated quite as deeply as the rest.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
from the thread N/A referenced above

What you're describing is a symptom of the way the aluminum rims are constructed. There is a little "puck" that is used to align both ends of the rim before they're welded. The puck isn't welded, and the hope is that it will just stay there for the life of the rim. But sometimes the manufacturer doesn't cross their fingers hard enough, and the puck starts to move around as the wheel rotates, and a clicking sound is the result.

Dhmorelia

May 5, 2021
Australia
So I think the problem was caused by a combination discus needing to be centred on the brake pads and carefully straightening the discs. This has solved the problem. No more tuning ring ring noises.

thanks for everyone’s advice.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
So I think the problem was caused by a combination discus needing to be centred on the brake pads and carefully straightening the discs. This has solved the problem. No more tuning ring ring noises.

thanks for everyone’s advice.

I have a twangy vibration from my rear disc when at higher speeds. If you pluck the disc you get the basic sound. Drives me nuts. At some point I'll upgrade to higher quality and larger discs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles