Hello evening everyone

Apart from the Obvious that you don’t need tools for a quick release axle

Which is best to use ??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Best for what? :unsure:

QR are easier to use if you remove the front wheel frequently.
QR are easier to lose. (I have seen a few on the top of walls).
Allegedly they are not as stiff.
QR makes it slightly easier to get your front wheel nicked.

Through axles are allegedly stiffer. (for the same axle diameter)
Harder to lose.
They make your wheel slightly harder to steal.
They look simpler and cleaner.

Tip: Once you remove an axle (any axle), NEVER put it down anywhere except back where it lives, or you WILL lose it sooner or later. In addition it stiffens the fork/rear triangle while you are faffing about with the wheel.

Please add to the +/- I'm sure that I haven't captured them all.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You don't need tools for a thru axle

A thru axle design is far stiffer than a 9/10mm QR axle, especially on a fork.

From a safety POV thru axles are infinitely more secure and a little more reliable

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Sorry I guess from a safety / reliability point
When you say QR, do you mean the older style axles that fit into an open slot on a fork or the frame, or the type of axle that screws in but has an adjustable locking tab that you use to loosen/tighten the axle as apposed to those that need an Allen key to remove?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Hi sorry for the confusion

basically I am changing my fork to a lyrik and the lyrik came with a quick release axle

the rockshox 35 that came as stock had a solid axle which uses a hex key

I wondered from a safely point of view which would be better to keep and use on the bike

sorry Everyone didn’t explain it very well cheers guys

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
No worries :)
Personally I've always swapped to the type that uses a hex drive/allen key as I prefer their look on the bike, and they're simpler. But last ride out I managed to round off the rear axle's slot and had to hammer the allen key in with the car's wheel wretch before I could remove the wheel to get the bike into the car, so there are pluses and minuses for both types. I think ultimately it's personal preference.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
basically I am changing my fork to a lyrik and the lyrik came with a quick release axle

the rockshox 35 that came as stock had a solid axle which uses a hex key
They're both thru axles
I wondered from a safely point of view which would be better to keep and use on the bike
Safety in what way?

unless you're doing decade airs or footpeg tricks in the air nothing is likely to open a QR thru axle while actually riding. and even if it does open it still has to be unthreaded,

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Assuming we are talking here about the difference between through axles that are either secured via an allen key or by hand I have both and see no difference in performance or reliability..........the main (obvious) difference being you need the correct sized allen key on hand for the allen key type. If you rely on a multitool either in the garage or out on the trail, the allen key type needs a pretty decent one to ensure getting sufficient torque.........more especially on the back wheel though.
Be aware there are a variety of hand tightened through axle types, some a lot better than others...........and they can be pretty expensive!!

For speed and convenience I prefer the hand tightened type.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles