Quick link

Scott installations

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Worcestershire
Run a quick split link on both my other bikes grt for maintenance,noticed my ebike didn’t come with one,
Do u think be ok to fit one or best not to with the extra forces put through the chain
?

E

EddieJ

The only bike that I own that doesn't have one, is my pedal mtb.

I carry a couple of spare ones, as well a very short length of chain.

Oddly, the only chain that I have ever snapped, was a Shimano chain on my pedal mtb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Here is a different take on the subject.I use K.C X11EL chains. Thats the extra light hollow link chain. Gear change is much slicker and so far wear has been less than on the original chain and the cassette is still as good as new. My guess is that there is little or no difference in linear strengths of any of the various chains within the limits of the force we can exert even including motor power. Wear on a chain and potential damage occurs when the chain...or part of it....is not aligned. Such as when changing gear. A heavier chain is likely to "fall" harder coming down the cassette and "dance" more when in a high gear and put more pressure on the rear mech.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Should you re-use quick or master links? Wear occurs both on the pin and quick link/master link. The quick link is also work simply by the way in which it is fitted. So on a chain with little wear I would re-use the original quicklink once...maybe twice. Once the chain is more than half worn I would only use a new quicklink.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Should you re-use quick or master links? Wear occurs both on the pin and quick link/master link. The quick link is also work simply by the way in which it is fitted. So on a chain with little wear I would re-use the original quicklink once...maybe twice. Once the chain is more than half worn I would only use a new quicklink.
I use the quick link as long as the chain lasts, no matter how many times I use the link to remove the chain. Once the chain is done, so is the quick link. However, the quick link gets a chance of a second life as an emergency spare, either for me or anyone that needs it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles