Questions for those in NZ

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Hi all,

Currently living in Aus, but am moving back to NZ at the end of the year. The plan is currently Auckland, although there is a slim chance I'll up in Wellington. My family are from Napier and I used to live in Dunedin, so I have never ridden in the Auckland region. From what I can see online, riding around Auckland is ok, but nothing special? Please correct me if I'm wrong! It looks like Rotorua will be the go for the frequent weekend over-nighter.

I currently ride a Merida eOne Twenty with a 160mm fork. I am wondering whether this will be 'enough bike' for the riding I am likely to do? I like enduro style riding mainly - up a fire road, and back down the single track. My options are to keep my current bike and potentially buy a long travel non-ebike to use at bike parks/uplifts/shuttles, or to sell my current bike and just buy a longer travel ebike.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome!

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I haven't ridden in Auckland either, but tracks in Rotorua are epic and Taupo, Coromandel and up North are all in easy enough reach. I used to live in Wellington which has a lot of great riding close to town (Mt Vic, Makara Peak). I'd say the Merida will be fine for most trails here, but if you end up doing lots of black/double black runs something with more rear travel might be an idea.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
I haven't ridden in Auckland either, but tracks in Rotorua are epic and Taupo, Coromandel and up North are all in easy enough reach. I used to live in Wellington which has a lot of great riding close to town (Mt Vic, Makara Peak). I'd say the Merida will be fine for most trails here, but if you end up doing lots of black/double black runs something with more rear travel might be an idea.
Yeah cool. I think I’ll take the current bike with me, and try it out for a while. I just wonder if for the cost of transporting it, it’s not worth selling and buying something new? But maybe I’m just scratching for an excuse to buy a new bike ?

RAZOR

Feb 19, 2019
Auckland, NZ
Hi Hemi,
I've ridden woodhill a few times with my old 140 (mattock 160) and it was perfectly fine, have also done a day at Rotorua riding eagle vs shark and corners:
i'd say I am a pretty average rider and prefer trails over jumps so I don't see why 120mm in the rear wouldn't be fine.
I'm off to the coromandel next weekend to give my new 120 it's first decent ride - I extended the rev out to 150mm so will report back on how it goes, i'm also hoping to get back to Rotorua again this year.
On the the side of the coin, Merida seem to still be good value here and you may get a good deal on a 160 at the end of the year - rumours of a new 140 may be another option?

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Hi all,

Currently living in Aus, but am moving back to NZ at the end of the year. The plan is currently Auckland, although there is a slim chance I'll up in Wellington. My family are from Napier and I used to live in Dunedin, so I have never ridden in the Auckland region. From what I can see online, riding around Auckland is ok, but nothing special? Please correct me if I'm wrong! It looks like Rotorua will be the go for the frequent weekend over-nighter.

I currently ride a Merida eOne Twenty with a 160mm fork. I am wondering whether this will be 'enough bike' for the riding I am likely to do? I like enduro style riding mainly - up a fire road, and back down the single track. My options are to keep my current bike and potentially buy a long travel non-ebike to use at bike parks/uplifts/shuttles, or to sell my current bike and just buy a longer travel ebike.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome!
Have you checked the Merida prices in NZ compared to Aus.
E160 900e is $10000 here and around $6400 in Aus.
I’d be bringing an extra bike back in my suitcase??

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Hi Hemi,
I've ridden woodhill a few times with my old 140 (mattock 160) and it was perfectly fine, have also done a day at Rotorua riding eagle vs shark and corners:
i'd say I am a pretty average rider and prefer trails over jumps so I don't see why 120mm in the rear wouldn't be fine.
I'm off to the coromandel next weekend to give my new 120 it's first decent ride - I extended the rev out to 150mm so will report back on how it goes, i'm also hoping to get back to Rotorua again this year.
On the the side of the coin, Merida seem to still be good value here and you may get a good deal on a 160 at the end of the year - rumours of a new 140 may be another option?

Excellent, thanks Razor!! Great tips. I'm the same re jumps, so I think the 120 rear should be sweet. Look forward to hearing how the trip to the Coromandel goes! Those videos are making me want to move now!!!

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Have you checked the Merida prices in NZ compared to Aus.
E160 900e is $10000 here and around $6400 in Aus.
I’d be bringing an extra bike back in my suitcase??
Oh right!! Wow. Maybe I'll have a look at the end of this year, when next years models are released and swap over just before the move. As @RAZOR said, the rumoured 140 might help me out!

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Oh and just another question - I have seen some reports that there's retail outlets for Bulls emtbs around NZ - has anyone actually ever seen one in a store? They look like an interesting bike potentially but with the general lack of information, a test ride would definitely be needed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles