• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Question for the Garmin users

Hale_Storming

Oct 14, 2020
Munich, Germany
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to determine which Garmin to buy and wondered if you could help me decide which one to purchase.

I have a YT Decoy Elite with the E8000 motor. I need GPS to guide me on natural trials in the Alps, sometimes riding alone. Other features such as heart rate monitor would ne nice but I consider them nice to have but not necessary.

The Garmin Edge Explore looks good value for money but im unsure if i should pay the extra cost for the Garmin Edge 830, or if there are othe GPS devices I should consider.

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
Well I would not call myself a Garmin expert but have 3 years experience with there Fenix watches, I took a quick look at the Edge Explore and noticed that it will only come with the base map so you would have to buy the a propper map or find an open source one that fits your needs.

Keep in mind that if you never used a Garmin device the learning curve can be quite steep but once you got the hang on it they all work the same more or less.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I bought the explore and sent it back, very basic unit, dint even think you can import routes onto it, its mainly a stand alone unit.
I now have the edge 830 and love it.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
I have a YT Decoy Elite with the E8000 motor. I need GPS to guide me on natural trials in the Alps, sometimes riding alone.
Honestly, a GPS with maps, no matter how detailed, won't help. This issue with the "natural" trails in the Alps is, that they are mostly hiking trails (who are, incidentally, forbidden for MTB). With these, it's a hit or miss whether you can actually ride them (I cannot count the times that I've planned a good-looking (on a topomap) trail, only to find that the terrain simply didn't allow to ride.
With that in mind, your best bet is look for trails that someone else has ridden in the past, and that are known to be rideable - and in that case, you don't really need detailed mapping, you can follow a breadcrumb trail.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve got an 830… and prior to that had an 820, and an 810.
I use the Trailforks integration quite a lot of the time - where I can plan a route on my Mac, and save it to Trailforks. My 830 can then download it and route me round it.
Very good for areas I’ve never been before, and using Trailforks on the computer let’s me do a bit of research into the trails I’m adding to my route.

I’ve seen the touchscreen go a bit funny a couple of times from the rain… but you can lock the screen quite easily to sort this. I find the touchscreen much easier to navigate than using the buttons on the 5XX models.

I use Garmin devices for golf and running too, so am quite used to the app / infrastructure. Some of it is a bit clunky, but it’s generally pretty reliable.

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
Honestly, a GPS with maps, no matter how detailed, won't help. This issue with the "natural" trails in the Alps is, that they are mostly hiking trails (who are, incidentally, forbidden for MTB).

that’s quite a big statement given the alps is in several countries ?the legal position is far from simple

I do find in Switzerland that available mapping gives a strong indication of what’s rideable or not in my experience.

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to determine which Garmin to buy and wondered if you could help me decide which one to purchase.

I have a YT Decoy Elite with the E8000 motor. I need GPS to guide me on natural trials in the Alps, sometimes riding alone. Other features such as heart rate monitor would ne nice but I consider them nice to have but not necessary.

The Garmin Edge Explore looks good value for money but im unsure if i should pay the extra cost for the Garmin Edge 830, or if there are othe GPS devices I should consider.

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.
I just upgraded from an Edge 500. Garmin gave me credit to return the old unit. I wish I had switched to the Edge 830 sooner. Trailforks is awesome. I was pleased that it linked up with Specialized Mission Control for battery, speed, cadence and power. I considered the savingyof buying the Edge 530 because of the buttons. However, the Edge 830 MTB bundle comes with a remote switch pad that is far more convenient. I am happy with my choice.

Topolino

Jan 27, 2019
München
I bought the 830 Bundle as well and did 3 rides so far. Tried riding a course which leads to a lot of beeping to keep you on the track.

People complain about the screen being reflective, but here in Germany it’s not that much of a problem.

I haven’t tried the Wahoo yet, but I suspect that the maps on Garmin is more detailed than the basic Wahoo maps.

I still need to hook it up to the Levo, but that will only happen towards winter.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Just go for the 830 edge, I upgraded last year from a 530. Its everything you need. I have a Fenix 6, Garmin Marq and the 830, I'm a Garmin freak but I still don't understand or claim to be proficient in all its capabilities. They all take a lot of use to get to grips with.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I bought the explore and sent it back, very basic unit, dint even think you can import routes onto it, its mainly a stand alone unit.
I now have the edge 830 and love it.
the Edge Explore has very detailed maps and you can add many different apps and courses to it as well as all your sensors/ebikes 830 has a couple more features, none of which are needed IMHO

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Well I would not call myself a Garmin expert but have 3 years experience with there Fenix watches, I took a quick look at the Edge Explore and noticed that it will only come with the base map so you would have to buy the a propper map or find an open source one that fits your needs.

Keep in mind that if you never used a Garmin device the learning curve can be quite steep but once you got the hang on it they all work the same more or less.
The Map on the Explore is quite detailed and has regular updates, more than enough to get me around the country and very tight trails of the south east as well as riding from coast to coast.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I just got the 830 too and am loving it too. Bit of a learning curve though.
I had the Etrex E30 for many many years which was a pain in the arse to get tours on or off it. The Bluetooth / Wifi connection on the new devices is a huge improvement.
I also like that I can broadcast my pulse from my Fenix3 for extra statistics.
I use Komoot for most of my planning so the ability to easily find/plan routes on Komoot and use the garmin to navigate is great.
I am happy to get my expensive phone off my handlebars.
I even did one tour with the phone navigating in my pocket and a bluetooth headphone in my ear, but the same tour on the Garmin 830 on the handlebars. makes complicated navigating very easy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles