Question about using Levociraptor on 2022 Levo Alloy Comp

713Fmhs

Oct 30, 2023
I have a 2022 Levo Alloy Comp and want to install a Gen 1 levociraptor on it. My goal is to de-restrict the bike to get a class 3 pedal assist of 27 MPH or maybe 36 MPH, (selector 4 on the unit). I wouldn't need pedal assist above that. I will not be using BLevo or need any of the Gen 2 or 3 Levociraptor features. My concern is, after installation, does the computer still record mileage ridden correctly in the Mastermind phone app? I have the blue LED TCU on the bike which only sjows battery and power level. I'd like to be sure the miles ridden is still being recorded correctly in the phone mastermind app. Does anyone have any experience using the Gen 1 unit on a Specialized Levo?
Thanks.

EmtbChar

Apr 22, 2023
West Sacramento, CA USA
I don’t think the gen1 will correctly record milage since it doesn’t show correct mph in the app. I just bought a gen 3 because I like to record my rides using the Mission Control app and wanted accurate mph readings. I have a ‘22 levo carbon with the blue LED TCU.

For $340 it cost to get to the gen 3 levociraptor to California, I’m not happy with it. I can’t get above 24mph without pedaling as fast as I can and then I can’t even maintain it. It doesn’t even feel derestricted to me. Levociraptor people told to get a 36T chainring so now I’m going to have to put more money into this hoping it will work. Had I know this prior I wouldn’t have bought it.

713Fmhs

Oct 30, 2023
Thanks for that reply. I had read on another site that I might have to do just that, (the 36T chain ring) in order to really see a benefit from the raptor.

My problem is this, I have both a '22 Levo comp, (class 1), and a '23 Tero, (class 3) and I ride them everywhere. I really like the Tero 27 mph assist on the street but I ride alot of single track and it is not as capable there as the Levo. If I could get the Levo to a 27+ mph pedal assist and have it pedal like the Tero, I'd probably sell the Tero.
I want the suspension, brakes and handling of the Levo but the motor/pedal assist performance of the Tero so I can consolidate two bikes into one.

FWIW, my Tero 4x ,(50NM motor), has a 38T ring on it and I can hold a comfortable 25 mph speed on flat asphalt with it in top gear. The Levo has a 32T ring on it and you can tell when the 20 mph threshhold kicks in and the party shuts down. I cannot even use top gear on the Levo. I wonder what a 38T ring on the Levo would do?
Please post if you put a 36T on your bike and how it works out as I'm very interested. I have not priced a 36T but in comparison to the cost of the bike it couldn't be that bad??? Thanks again.

Last edited:

713Fmhs

Oct 30, 2023
I found this data; "All Levo models use a 12 speed drivetrain with a single front chainring. 32t minimum and 34t maximum (with chainguide) or 36t maximum (without chainguide). It appears in order to use a 36 as Levociraptor suggests, you would need to remove the chain guide. I wonder how the 34T would impact the pedal characteristics?

TheSnowShark

Subscriber
Sep 7, 2023
French-Alpes
Remember to check your number of teeth on the chainring, because in my Levo 2022 documentation it was noted 32 and in reality I have a 34 teeth 🍻

EmtbChar

Apr 22, 2023
West Sacramento, CA USA
Mine also has a 34T chainring. There’s a thread on here where people have squeezed a 38T. Requires longer chain and removing the chain guard. 36T same chain and flip the chain guard.

I test rode a tero before I bought my levo and chose the levo for the off road purposes. Was hoping the levociraptor would make it feel like the tero riding around the city. It was so much easier to get to speeds over 20mph on the tero than my deristricted levo. might bite the bullet on a 38T since its only $25 vs $80 for 36T. worried about not having a chain guard though...

Greeno

Jul 6, 2024
San Diego, Cal
I just purchased a Raptor gen3 and installed it on my 23’ levo comp carbon.
34t chainring in the front and a 10/52 on the rear.
That said the devise works for me exactly as promised.
Zero restriction at 20mph, I have it deristricted to 35mph which I can’t peddle that speed anyway.
Works perfect it only deristricts max speed it doesn’t provide additional input.
Speed and distance are accurate as well
Actual user experience provided.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles