Purion vs Smart LED

AndyS2

Jul 31, 2023
sheffield
I had a 2023 Cube with the Smart LED controller and Gen4 motor, then I swapped to a 2021 Trek with same motor and battery but the non-smart Purion display and it doesn't feel nearly as powerful as the Cube, especially in EMTB mode.

Is this normal, or do I have a fault?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
you have gone from a Bosch Smart system to the previous Bosch generation albeit with the same motor ( dont think you will have the same battery). Your Trek Bosch CX may be still at 75nm rather than 85nm if the firmware has not been updated; in addition your Trek is pre Smart System so has no connection to an app to tune the support modes........your Cube may well have had those modes turned up in the Flow App.

AndyS2

Jul 31, 2023
sheffield
I've checked the part number for the motor and its a Gen 4 and the firmware is up to date so should be the full 85nm. Can't really feel a difference in Eco and Tour, even though it was Tour+ on the Cube, its only EMTB mode that lacks the real kick it had from 0rpm. Also on the Cube all the ride customisations in the Flow app were at zero. Battery is also the same at 625W/Hr

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
In general the Bosch Gen4 whether pre or post Smart System needs good cadence to deliver its power. The difference between the 2 bikes may just be down to gearing.....ie the Cube was lower geared...perhaps a smaller chainwheel. With the Smart System you can make the motor far more responsive at low cadence using the mode tuning in the Flow app. That is not an option with the previous generation so what cadence you use is far more important. In general you need to be spinning 65rpm+ to get good support. Other than that your Trek may have greater rolling resistance due to the tyres fitted compared to the Cube.
I have Bosch Smart System bikes now and previous had the previous gen Bosch motored bike. Both require (d) good cadence and both had notably low power from a standstill.............easilly fixed on the Smart System via the Flow app...but not on the previous gen. On both ECO is mostly a waste of time on a well equipped trail or enduro bike, whilst tour + is not too bad.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles