PSA Bargain Product Thread

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I know we had a Black Friday, but here's a new one for deals to be posted.

I just saw these DT Swiss HX 1501 Wheels at 56% off RRP. Last time I ordered from Germany I didn't have to pay VAT (it seems a bit of a lottery) but still this is a good deal on a solid wheel set that's normally well over a grand:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's quite a heavy 28 spoke Carbon rim and the fact it's built with alu nipples and straight pull spokes would be a big no no for me.
An arguably stronger, more durable and lighter option for less money would be to simply have a set of DT 240 flanged (j bend) hubs handbuilt with DT EX471s and 32 DB J bend spokes with brass nipples.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Really? Oops!
Weight makes more sense now but that really isn't even a particularly great deal for the money anymore.
I'd assumed Carbon partly from the RRP. partly as they're 28 spoke.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
That's quite a heavy 28 spoke Carbon rim and the fact it's built with alu nipples and straight pull spokes would be a big no no for me.
An arguably stronger, more durable and lighter option for less money would be to simply have a set of DT 240 flanged (j bend) hubs handbuilt with DT EX471s and 32 DB J bend spokes with brass nipples.

Cheers - what kind of cost is your suggested setup? I’ve used the HX 1501’s and in my experience they’ve been strong and decent performers.

If we can get something better performing, cheaper, lighter and more durable that’d be great to see 👍

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Based on RRP you'd be looking at around £440 for the hubs, £85 a rim and around £80 for DT spokes and brass nipples.
But there are usually deals to be found online on the hubs (probably saving around £100) and there are cheaper (just as good) spoke options (Sapim etc)
Wheelbuilding £40ish per wheel.

Do you not fancy building your own? a handy skill to gain and could make for a decent vid too ;)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Got those wheels on my bike, I wouldn't pay rrp for them (they came with the bike in my case) but at that price I'd say that's a reasonable deal. I usually smash the cr@p out of rims, but these have remained straight and free spinning over the last 1200 miles of ham fisted riding, which is pretty much better than any other wheel I've tried over the last 15 years.

They're not super light though that's for sure.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Honestly 50% off DT Swiss wheels just means the prices are "normal" :) 1500 euros for aluminum wheels is just silly. There's not even a need to go custom built to get a better, stronger, lighter, and cheaper wheel (e.g. Light Bicycle). Not that I'm knocking custom wheels at all. Just pointing out that DT Swiss's wheel prices are absurd.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This one leapt out for anyone looking to offset tax in some way or possibly launder some money.... only (at least) double the normal price in the Chain Reaction sale ..

1640625884577.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles