• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Proper cadence

bheiser1

Subscriber
Jun 18, 2024
Sierra foothills, California
Years ago when I rode a lot I never really considered cadence. But that was before things like Kiox and apps. (Ok I’m dating myself). Anyway I’ve read that with e-bikes (like with the Bosch Performsnce CX) it’s good to keep the cadence up, like between 80 and 90 for optimum motor performance. Is that accurate?

One issue I’ve hit already is that (I suspect) the app (Bosch Flow) averages in idle (coasting) times, lowering the overall average, though I’m not sure (I don’t think we have access to the raw data to confirm this). What’s your approach to handling this?

I have periods of coasting because I’m in the mountains with significant downhills, not much flat terrain here.

Ps I’m a beginner, just got my bike a couple days ago.
IMG_5471.jpeg

Solution
I believe the average cadence is calculated only on actual cadence ...ie it does not include periods of zero cadence. On that basis if you can average 65RPM plus on a ride you are probably getting the best out of the motor. Keep in mind that you can modify the standard tuning in the Flow App and by doing so get the motor to produce more assistance at lower cadences/ rider torque..........you will of course use more battery by doing so.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I believe the average cadence is calculated only on actual cadence ...ie it does not include periods of zero cadence. On that basis if you can average 65RPM plus on a ride you are probably getting the best out of the motor. Keep in mind that you can modify the standard tuning in the Flow App and by doing so get the motor to produce more assistance at lower cadences/ rider torque..........you will of course use more battery by doing so.

Solution

Prozor

Apr 12, 2024
Polska
Yes, you have averaged cadence excluding zero cadence.

No, the torque generation characteristics (and resulting engine power) cannot be modified in the Flow App, the optimum cadence for the Bosch CX engine is >60 rpm,
Motoren_Vergleichstest_Intro_E-MTB_034_WEB-6-4.jpg

Turn the crank faster, the engine will be more efficient ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles