Program BAFANG M600 for Class 1 compliance

Jeromep

Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Just did a ride in Jefferson Cty Colorado. Class 1 were only ebikes allowed. My impression is this is the current direction on State and County owned property. Can the M600 be programmed for Class1 compliance?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I had to refamiliar myself to the US ebike classification so please bare in mind, this is how I'm interpreting it.

Class 1 is capped to 20mph and 'if' a throttle is installed, it can only work when pedaling or exceeding a speed greater than what walk assist would offer but capped to 20mph or less.

Whilst I remain confident that the regulations in terms of power output is universal across state to state (including Florida) which is (250w nominal but cannot exceed more the 750w peak), reducing the speed to 20mph would not be enough. You would need to reduce the maximum current in an effort to ensure that it doesn't peak past 750w.

If (and a big if) you can amend the speed restriction to not exceeding 20mph and drop the maximum current to 18-20amps, then yes. It would (by its programming) adhere to your local legislations.

Granted, the embossed label 'M600' would still pose an issue if someone looks at the motor diligently.

Hope this helps @Jeromep 👍🏿

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles