Potential dropper post problem?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Ok guys I didn't even no what a dropper post was until I purchased a new bike a few weeks back but have already become a convert. Its a strange feeling sitting low down with your weight hanging out the back for grip and being able to climb ridiculous hills in a ridiculous riding position .

Any way, there was no play at all in the seat post when I picked the bike up, now it actually has some wobble from side to side and back to front, nothing major but it is apparent , is this normal or is it some form of impending doom where eventually my frame and seat post will snap :oops: . The actual insert into the frame seems to be solid it would appear its just play from the post within side the insert ( sorry for not knowing the correct terminology ) The bike is a cube 140 hybrid with 80 miles on it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
A slight amount of play is normal, especially with the lower spec OEM versions that come with a lot of bikes

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Ok guys I didn't even no what a dropper post was until I purchased a new bike a few weeks back but have already become a convert. Its a strange feeling sitting low down with your weight hanging out the back for grip and being able to climb ridiculous hills in a ridiculous riding position .

Any way, there was no play at all in the seat post when I picked the bike up, now it actually has some wobble from side to side and back to front, nothing major but it is apparent , is this normal or is it some form of impending doom where eventually my frame and seat post will snap :oops: . The actual insert into the frame seems to be solid it would appear its just play from the post within side the insert ( sorry for not knowing the correct terminology ) The bike is a cube 140 hybrid with 80 miles on it.
Which make is the dropper post?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Thanks for the replies guys, I think the dropper post is cubes own, I coppeid and pasted this from the bike spec.

Cube Dropper Post, Handlebar Lever, Internal Cable Routing, 31.6mm (16": 361x100mm, 18": 403x120mm, 20", 22": 425x130mm)

Its there 2020 model 140 bottom spec bike with carbon frame.

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
Yeah, they all develop a little slop with use.
I actually think this is a benefit. Since the saddle can move sideways a bit with each pedal stroke, where it would normally rub you if it was "fixed", I think it makes for a more comfortable ride on those big pedally days.

Reactions: mak

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I don't think so..? Is it tight on the dropper shim..?

Mine plays slights but it may also be your seat not tight. Tighten the two bolts under the seat. There shouldn't be too much play in it..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not sure whether this fault is common to your CUBE dropper, but the only movement you need to worry about is when it drops by 5-6 mm when you press down on it. You won't feel it when sat on it, but once started, it will get worse. So far every dropper where this has happened to me, it has been terminal (for the dropper!). Twice within warranty and once outside.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Thanks for the replies guys, I think the dropper post is cubes own, I coppeid and pasted this from the bike spec.

Cube Dropper Post, Handlebar Lever, Internal Cable Routing, 31.6mm (16": 361x100mm, 18": 403x120mm, 20", 22": 425x130mm)

Its there 2020 model 140 bottom spec bike with carbon frame.
One of my riding buddies has a Cube Stereo also with a Cube branded dropper, it went dead after the first few weeks so he got it replaced under warranty. It seemed like it was an XLC dropper, but not 100 % sure.
Anyway there should only be a very little play, eg. RockShox Reverbs has a little lateral play of around 1 degree, but that’s it also after a couple of years.
If it was mine I’d do a warranty claim on it.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I will get some more miles on the thing and see if it gets any worse (y)

Stiggy

Aug 9, 2020
Bolton UK
Hi, basically I have the same issue on a Cube Stereo 140 Race 625 2021. Saddle bar is tight, dropper collar is tight but the shaft and seat will rotate when you twist it (maybe 2-3 degrees 5mm). Intersested to know if any other Cube owners have this issue or am I looking at a warranty claim. I've had the bike since September and maybe only done a few hundred miles.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I have four bikes all with different droppers and they all have a small amount of side to side , and back to front play say 1-4 mm and they all work perfectly! I also have a gravity dropper circa 2005 which is the same. If play does get too bad you can usually replace the guide shims if you don't mind getting your mitts dirty.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Mine never got any worse and I carried on to complete 1900 miles on the bike without issue and it didn't effect the riding of the bike in the slightest (y)

rich86!

Oct 12, 2021
Australia
Did anyone manage to find a service kit for CUBE seat dropper post? I have a 2019 Stereo HPC and the guides are heavily worn, I have tried researching what the Cube factory post is based off but have not found anything to be identical. The CrankBrothers Highline 3 series looks very similar.

Rich

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles