Possible Mtb jacket ? 🤷‍♂️

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
A mate of mine works outside quite often, I spotted him with one of these jackets and asked him if it wer a biking jacket? He said it was for tree workers/ arborists etc !!
I looked at the cut/ design and it seemed to tick nearly all the boxes ( long cut at the back , big hood to fit over helmet, reflective details, big zip pockets for spares/nibbles) !! And cheaper than the purpose made affairs from well known brands ! Let’s hear your thoughts 👍👍

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Unless it is specified in that "Class 3......" stuff, then it doesn't say how breathable it actually is. Some numbers would be nice.
The good side is that the fabric is likely to be tough.

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Unless it is specified in that "Class 3......" stuff, then it doesn't say how breathable it actually is. Some numbers would be nice.
The good side is that the fabric is likely to be tough.
Just found this blurb ont web, the jacket seems to be rated 3 for waterproofing, but without seeing a label, not sure if the breathabilty is class 3 ?
I’ll have to rip it off my mates back, next time I see him wearing it and have a look-see at the label 😂👍👍

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Managed to get a piccy of the label, and apparently the jacket is the highest level of waterproof and breathability , see picture 👍👍
1642878367512.jpeg
1642878367512.jpeg

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Breathability rating, RET

RET is the only method that takes into account the aspect of comfort. The lower the RET value, the more breathable the fabric is. As a result, the more comfortable it feels during activities. RET 0-6: the fabric is extremely breathable.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I was thinking the same and have been working on my winter of 22' coat rack and got this beauty for 1/2 price off a Gear Grab site:

Orange Coat.jpg

Bike related as it is a Specialized product. Waterproof and auto/hunter resistant for times needed. Green jacket to the left is a older Grundens that is my go to when just out in the woods outside of hunting season or doing chores about the estate. A few fleecees for underlayers and town as well as some full coverage extreme gear on stand by and let it come!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Just bought a dirtlej suit. My mates are not convinced with it but I will be dry this winter for once

View attachment 97510
Here's the bad news..depending on how long you stay out in the wet stuff ..you won't stay dry ..
I've got some good technical garments (MT500)which are washed and re-proofed to manufacturers instructions and on a long wet day ride they still soak through ..Good luck though 😉

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I visited that Arborist gear site and checked out that coat and do think it would work for bike use. Actually @$137 not an outlandish price either.

On the subject of the uni suit above that to me is the holy grail of wet weather gear. It is really odd that more manufacturers don't have a like item in their catalog actually. The ones that do seem to originate over there and are cost prohibitive for my budget. I tried to get Columbia Sportswear here local to me to look into it via a high level employee but it went nowhere. I have had pairs of coveralls over the years for different tasks and even had a one that Grundens made I got off a sale rack at a marine supply store that I used for commercial fishing in AK years ago. Everyone thought it was odd but it did work.

To that end awhile ago I ordered a coverall from China that is marketed for motorcycle use that I hope to be able to modify for riding this winter. I'll report back with my findings. I just really like the idea of not having a separation of items in the back and the concept of coming home and peeling off the whole thing in one shot, hosing it down and hanging to dry.

Edit:

Got the onsie today and I think it is going to work, at least it fits anyway with room for a warm under layer which is always a crapshoot getting Asian clothing so true to size? 5' 10" and got an XL.

Onsie.jpg

So for under $42 I'll give it a go and report back here later when the damp inevitably returns. Still haven't even fitted the fender back on yet, thank dog.

Anyway here it the link in case you are interested. Motorcycle Motorbike Waterproof Raincoat Rain Suit One-Piece Overalls Work | eBay

Last edited:

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I had a onesie skiing suit in the 80s. A subtle gold / dark blue combination. Actually looked classier than it sounds. For the time. Loved it. Very practical until I needed to crap.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The thing to be wary of with jackets for use on a bike is that they are cut with enough shoulder width so that when you have both arms outstretched there is no restriction. Bike brand prices for most gear is stupidly expensive especially when it comes to jackets because the fit across the shoulders is really all that needs to be different for riding a bike. A couple of years a go I went to TK Max to see if I could find a softshell or similar for winter. I was interested in warmth not waterproofing since that is easy to achieve with a packable hardshell. I tried on several jackets, all different types not just softshell. I found a good one (softshell with DWP) by New Balance.....and at a good price.... but every other jacket I tried was too restrictive in a typical riding pose even if I tried a larger size.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
I also picked up a dirtlej suit for the coming winter and a pair of gore tex 510s. Both of which were on sale in the past couple of months. I think the arbor jacket would have the appropriate cut as you would often be working with your arms above your head when trimming branches in trees.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Now I’m a fairly large lad and hardly any MTB branded clothing fits me, only the Endura Humvee shorts!

Every winter I have the same issue, no jacket is the right size or comfortable enough to ride in

I’ve just taken a punt on this military surplus pullover’smock’ - only £46 using the discount code and generous sizing - no idea how waterproof or breathable it will be, time will tell …

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles