Play in pedal...

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I got a pair of HT Components ANS-10 Supreme pedals, and there seems to be a bit of play side to side in them.

They’re only a couple of months old, and have only done a couple of hundred miles. I noticed today there was an odd clicking feeling - and I’ve realised it’s coming from the pedal. The pedal can move a few mm from the axle.

The gap in my photo marked in blue can be closed or about 2mm apart. I don’t remember it being like this from new. The other pedal is much less - probably less than 0.5mm.

Everything seems to be tight, so I’m not sure what to do?

BB35BC9E-AFD3-4FC3-98BF-AF7AB725ADBC.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The pedal bearings are worn. There will be two per pedal, a bush nearest the crank and a small ball bearing at the opposite end. In your case, with it failing so soon, the seal has probably failed and let water and/or grit in there and that has trashed the bush, the ball bearing will probably be OK.

It is time for a service. If they are available, buy a service kit and fix your pedals. Add an extra "O" ring between the crank and the regular seal to push the regular seal up against the face that it is supposed to be in contact with.

If you cannot find a service kit or they are not available, run the pedals until they are useless and replace with a pedal that has service kits available.

As an interim measure, dismantle the pedal and fill the gap between the spindle and the platform with grease, add an extra "O" ring as described above and pedal on. It won't last long but will give you enough time to buy a replacement.

PS: Have you thought of a warranty claim? Your pedals should last longer than a few months. I have had pedals that cost £5 last years longer than that.

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I’ve looked back and bought them on the 23rd March, for nearly £100. Surely they should be lasting more than 3 months?!

They have had a few strikes - and I noticed today that one had damaged the Oil Slick coating. I expected it to be like an anodised coating, rather than something stuck on. You can see from this photo that it’s now got water under it and its going to peel.

I’ll try a warranty claim, but I think I might be better ordering a set of DMR Vault Lacon’s as my DMR Vaults on my other bike have been bulletproof.
I took the HT Components over the Lacons as they were a few quid cheaper... but it may have been an expensive mistake!

It looks to me like that rubber seal in my original photo is meant to be IN the gap rather than to the side of it - as when I pushed it in, there is no play anymore. The seal is warped and stretched, so won’t stay in there for long.

I’ll open them up tomorrow and see what they look like inside.
13CEE044-92CD-4556-8F0C-3B11DE0C3C4E.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
HT’s UK agents said to send them in - as they offer a 1 year warranty on pedals.
I’ll get them packed up and posted off tomorrow and see what they say.

In the mean time, I’ll get the DMR Vaults transferred over from my Stumpy to use until they come back.

I want to know if the DMR Vault Lacon’s also have a ‘chippable’ coating on them that’ll flake off - or whether they just scuff like normal anodised pedals.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Surely they should be lasting more than 3 months?!
They have had a few strikes
:unsure:

I noticed today that one had damaged the Oil Slick coating. I expected it to be like an anodised coating, rather than something stuck on. You can see from this photo that it’s now got water under it and its going to peel.
You do realise anodizing is a "coating" it's simply electrically formed oxide mixed with dye
You've taken CHUNKS out of your pedal, of course the coating has worn/come off and if you're going to scud your pedals into solid objects of course something has to give, HT'll probably send you a new set but that sort of damage is not really covered by warranty.

I took the HT Components over the Lacons as they were a few quid cheaper... but it may have been an expensive mistake!
Not really. A DMR vault is still just an aluminium body/steel axle with bearings/bushings like any other decent Alu flat pedal. The DMR badge doesn't magically give it properties to hold onto it's finish if ground off on rocks or magically allow it's bearings to ward off continued hits undamaged. ;)

I want to know if the DMR Vault Lacon’s also have a ‘chippable’ coating on them that’ll flake off - or whether they just scuff like normal anodised pedals.
My GF has a a set of DMR Lacon's. They're a year old and were used previously and given to me by a female Scottish enduro racer so the finish has worn. Neither of actually us care whether the colour "chips" or "flakes" as the finish on all alu pedals whether it's anodised, paint or powder coat wears off from use so I can't say either of us have noticed "how" it's worn.
I'll have a look for you though.
Not that it'll really matter if you intend on taking the same sort of chunks out of them you have the HTs.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
:unsure:

You do realise anodizing is a "coating" it's simply electrically formed oxide mixed with dye
You've taken CHUNKS out of your pedal, of course the coating has worn/come off and if you're going to scud your pedals into solid objects of course something has to give, HT'll probably send you a new set but that sort of damage is not really covered by warranty.

Not really. A DMR vault is still just an aluminium body/steel axle with bearings/bushings like any other decent Alu flat pedal. The DMR badge doesn't magically give it properties to hold onto it's finish if ground off on rocks or magically allow it's bearings to ward off continued hits undamaged. ;)

My GF has a a set of DMR Lacon's. They're a year old and were used previously and given to me by a female Scottish enduro racer so the finish has worn. Neither of actually us care whether the colour "chips" or "flakes" as the finish on all alu pedals whether it's anodised, paint or powder coat wears off from use so I can't say either of us have noticed "how" it's worn.
I'll have a look for you though.
Not that it'll really matter if you intend on taking the same sort of chunks out of them you have the HTs.

I’m much better now at avoiding the rocks than I was when I first got the bike ?

I’ve got a couple of other pairs of well ‘used’ pedals which have scuffs and dings out of them.
The part that was hit has lost its colour and shows what’s underneath.
The part next to it doesn’t ‘peel’ off though.
That’s what’s happening with the HT’s. I could probably ‘pick’ parts of the coating off non scuffed parts. It’s almost like they’ve been painted rather then anodised.

They’ve had a few knocks, I’m not going to deny that... but my DMR and FUNN pedals from my previous bikes have had a lot worse and have only had cosmetic issues.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Or how about if I were to tell you DMRs Vaults share the same axles an bearings as HTs?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
If i were to tell you Funn pedals are made by HT how would that make you feel?

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky with the HT’s?
I think my other pedals have had much more abuse and have lasted much longer.

I really like the HT’s, but the colour flaking like paint is a bit of a shock.

That’s why I wondered if the Lacon’s do the same?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
These are my DMR Vaults before and after. I now have two pairs (I had two bikes). One is 10 years old and the other is 8 years old and I have no idea which is which. They have both (I think) had bearings and seals replaced at least twice, but I only know for sure that I have used 4 service kits. I have a service kit ready to go for next time.
DMR Vault.JPG

DMR worn.jpg

I would never pay for a special finish on pedals, when they end up looking like the above. I suppose I could spray them black again, but I reckon the first wet and gritty ride would see it off! Besides, these have character; "proper pedals" as one of the Rutland Cycling mechanics said to me. :)

I once tried removing the surface coating from a pair of Kona Wah Wah pedals in a fetching green finish. After several minutes with a rotary wire brush, I gave up. I suspect that chemical means will be necessary to strip anodised pedals. Either that or 8-10 years of wear!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Worrying about keeping pedal and crank finishes looking perfect is ridiculous

Stop it NAO

Or buy composite pedals (the colours are throughout the material) and carbon cranks

I would never pay for a special finish on pedals
Same. all my pedals are Black or Silver
Same with cranks.
Apart from my roadbike my cranks faces are all worn to a shine from foot slides when I table.

I once tried removing the surface coating from a pair of Kona Wah Wah pedals in a fetching green finish. After several minutes with a rotary wire brush, I gave up. I suspect that chemical means will be necessary to strip anodised pedals.
Mr Muscle and elbow grease will take anodizing off. Caustic soda is the proper way.
Industrial strength paint stripper will take... er... paint off

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles