Play in cassette

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I have cross posted this from the General forum.
I have a Cube Reaction Pro and it has started jumping gears.SRAM 12spd. I have looked at the cassette and there is quite a bit of play in it from side to side.
Can anyone tell me if there is an adjustment.
Thanks G.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I have cross posted this from the General forum.
I have a Cube Reaction Pro and it has started jumping gears.SRAM 12spd. I have looked at the cassette and there is quite a bit of play in it from side to side.
Can anyone tell me if there is an adjustment.
Thanks G.

Deeper diagnosis is needed to give the best advice :) There's always some play in the cassette/driver body and from my experience, skipping comes from other issues, usually from the derailleur not being set up correctly or the chain/cassette being worn. Unless the play is significant, I'd start with readjusting the derailer and checking the chain/cassette for wear.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
In all my biking life, I’ve not had a bike that had lateral play in the cassette, until i discovered that I left a spacer out that sat behind a cassette once. Or the lock nut wasn’t done up tightly enough. Some shimano cassettes have spacers in Beyer the smaller cogs, if these ate missing the there will be play. If the free hub body bearings are launched then this will also cause play. And on some wheels the freehub sits insider a bearing (novatec) if that bearing is gone then there will be all sorts of drama. Hope this helps.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There's always some play in the cassette/driver body and from my experience
There really shouldn't be.
There's often a small degree of flex in the larger sprockets but if your freehub body has lateral play or your cassette has free movement on the body there's something wrong. (or you just have shit components)

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
(or you just have shit components)

Actually relieved that I do have a shit 10€ cassette and it isn't worth fiddling with mine heh.

I do have a bit of play when I search for it, wheel off. No skipping tho.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Actually relieved that I do have a shit 10€ cassette and it isn't worth fiddling with mine heh.
I wasn't just talking about the cassette.
I use cheap 10 speed Deore and 105 cassettes on my Eeb. Both of those options are far from shit though. Not only are they massively cheaper, they're also lighter, stiffer and more durable than 11 and 10 speed cassettes.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
I wasn't just talking about the cassette.
I use cheap 10 speed Deore and 105 cassettes on my Eeb. Both of those options are far from shit though. Not only are they massively cheaper, they're also lighter, stiffer and more durable than 11 and 10 speed cassettes.

I'll just have to believe you. I upgraded from altus to deore for my 9speed hg and never tried anything else except Tourney stuff and the like. I've no real life knowledge about this. All I can say is that yeah I'm happy about how smooth my cheap components are working, and it looks like I'm trying my best to break them everyday.

I'll try a spare cassette on another wheel to see if I have the same play.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You can't really go wrong with all but the very cheapest Shimano cassettes. even Altus cassettes are sturdy, manufactured from durable material and have the same shifting technology found on higher range cassettes.
Where Altus/Acera drivetrains lack the durability, materials and function of higher range (Deore and above) components is in the mechs and shifters.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
There really shouldn't be.
There's often a small degree of flex in the larger sprockets but if your freehub body has lateral play or your cassette has free movement on the body there's something wrong. (or you just have shit components)

I probably should have reworded; a tiny bit of play.

I think people often misdiagnose drive terrain problems when they feel a wiggle in the cassette when the wheel is out of the bike. On the bike, the compression of the skewer sandwich's everything tight

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
with a well designed hub and axle system it shouldnt.

Freehub play however small increases wear.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
with a well designed hub and axle system it shouldnt.

Freehub play however small increases wear.

:unsure::unsure: I have 3 bikes on Hope Pro4s and they all have a very small amount of play.. one of which has less than 200km on it and one with 2000km+. never had any problems.

Where do you think Pro4s sit on the "well designed " spectrum? I thought they were near the top

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles