Physical Fitness

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA
My days of glory have long passed. Neither my heart, lungs or legs can run near the red line as in the days of old. The partial answer is an ebike and my Specialized Levo Turbo Comp is a miracle, allowing me to go up those mountains as I did decades ago. However, my turbo is too heavy and cumbersome to negotiate trails like The Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe, so I purchased a Trek Remedy 8, a pedal only bike in order to travel the technical trails. I'm back to red lining my 88 year old heart in order to travel the flume trail, and redline is around 120 BPM, not like yesteryear at 180 BPM. It's a long and tedious journey to get in shape for the tough trails, and I must rest for 2 to 3 days in between training sessions in order to prevent muscle strains and allow my body to rebuild. Hope springs eternal as time and gravity take their toll.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Good grief, you are amazing tackling those trails aged 88, an inspiration to us all.

Even more so doing it on a regular MTB, much respect from me over the water in the U.K.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@wagonrd – props for keeping the pedals turning at 88!!! (y)?

Readers should be aware that the riding around Tahoe is all above 6,000 ft, the Flume and its access trails being 7-9k’ and aerobically demanding.

The power of the Full Fat Levo is great, but you might be better off with the Levo SL. For an equivalent build the SL is 9-10 lb lighter than the FF, and that makes it much easier to handle. Sure, the motor “only” gives 250-280W assistance, but it’s plenty fast and with gear selection it will get you over most anything you’re willing to climb. You’ll just ride it more like a bicycle and less like a motorcycle.

BTW, if you haven’t tried it the Emigrant Trial just north of Truckee you should. It runs from the Donner Camp Picnic site off Hwy 89 to Stampede Reservoir and is a fun 25 mile out-and-back. It requires some effort on a regular bike, but is a blast on a FF or SL Levo (it’s an ebike legal trail).

Weather, fires, and air quality permitting mrs levity and I plan to head up to Donner Lake the week of August 23-27. If you happen to be in the area you’re welcome to throw a leg over my Levo SL to see what it’s like.

Cheers!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles