Pennsylvania Ebike Trekkie

jdjeff58

Aug 8, 2020
Berks County PA
Hi..I'm from the US in Pennsylvania. I have a 2018 Trek Powerfly LT7 for over a year now and enjoying the heck out of it. I stumbled in this forum during an internet search and thought I'd sign up. I've been doing my own work on the bike and now want to get some insight to mods and/or upgrades....in the most recent instance the rear shock. I can't see paying $150 to rebuilt a shock every 60 and 100 hours. There has to be an alternative to that non-sense...maybe?

Zudnik

Jul 27, 2020
NNJ, USA
Whereabouts in PA? I grew up in the Poconos and now live in NJ. Welcome to the forum. Trying to learn the tech myself so sorry can't help you much there but the general forum should be able to help.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Hi..I'm from the US in Pennsylvania. I have a 2018 Trek Powerfly LT7 for over a year now and enjoying the heck out of it. I stumbled in this forum during an internet search and thought I'd sign up. I've been doing my own work on the bike and now want to get some insight to mods and/or upgrades....in the most recent instance the rear shock. I can't see paying $150 to rebuilt a shock every 60 and 100 hours. There has to be an alternative to that non-sense...maybe?
If your rides are 2-3 hours and you ride once a week, that shock would only need to be serviced every 33 to 50 weeks. I change my seals every 4 months and it’s not difficult for most riders to do it themselves. There are dozens of YouTube videos that show you how

jdjeff58

Aug 8, 2020
Berks County PA
If your rides are 2-3 hours and you ride once a week, that shock would only need to be serviced every 33 to 50 weeks. I change my seals every 4 months and it’s not difficult for most riders to do it themselves. There are dozens of YouTube videos that show you how
Yeah...I'm riding pretty regularly...3 to 4 times a week at about 2 hours each. Before I took the shock in, I was looking around on how to do it myself but couldn't find anything on this specific shock. I am under the understanding there's special tools involved so I just caved in to sending it out. That's one of the reasons I came to this forum too. Are there other shocks out there with less maintenance? This is a Rockshox. What about Fox? I have a Fox on my standard MTB and have needed to do nothing to it yet. Of course it doesn't get ridden as hard but this maintenance interval just doesn't seem right. I suppose I should start a new thread on this. Thanks.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
You can’t fully service most rear air shocks yourself, although you can easily complete minor service on them. Send it off for a rebuild in the winter when you won’t miss the bike as much. Every year is fine for most people. If you use a competent suspension shop, they’ll tune it for you and it will work better than new. Forks you can rebuild yourself, or send in as well.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Yeah...I'm riding pretty regularly...3 to 4 times a week at about 2 hours each. Before I took the shock in, I was looking around on how to do it myself but couldn't find anything on this specific shock. I am under the understanding there's special tools involved so I just caved in to sending it out. That's one of the reasons I came to this forum too. Are there other shocks out there with less maintenance? This is a Rockshox. What about Fox? I have a Fox on my standard MTB and have needed to do nothing to it yet. Of course it doesn't get ridden as hard but this maintenance interval just doesn't seem right. I suppose I should start a new thread on this. Thanks.
Maybe I’ll make a how to video on air sleeve maintenance in the next few days

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles