Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Clipless. Specifically Saint SPD. Mostly out of habit

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
The same as on your non e-bike I'd say ;)
Why change what works for you. For me that means flats.

I bought the new XT flats for my Merida but had a lot of pedalstrikes, still running the original 170mm cranks. On my other bike I have NC17 pedals (Sudpin III S-pro) and these are 1cm less wide than the XT's so I swapped them. Seems to work, a lot less pedalstrikes now :)
Thinking of getting some shorter cranks in the future too to maximize ground clearance.

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
I used clipless on my last bike. Thought I would give the platforms a try on the ebike. Just for the fact when i get off work i could just jump on and take off. Thanks for the replys.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I switch depending on where I'm going. I prefer clipless so use those by default. But if I'm going on a route which will involve some walking then I'll use flats instead.

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
I'd say use whatever you are used to, however due to the heavier chassis of an ebike flats work better on an ebike I think. The bike isn't being disturbed as much and is more planted than a normal bike. So if you've wanted to try flats but have hesitated, try them on the ebike.

I ride flats on everything including my road bike. I do race on clips though, not quite ready to commit that far yet.

Last edited:

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
I run the Crank Brothers DH 11 with adjustable bite. They feel like flats but on my up stroke I know I’m clipped in. I ride road also so I prefer being clipped in but this pedal was worth every penny.
image.jpg

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Increased weight of these Ebikes can get away from you easily on technical trails. I also frequently commute and shop on my bike. After 30 years clipless I switched to flats and enjoying it so much more. Just bought the Xpedo Sprye petals and will replace with more aggressive pins if needed. They are very thin pedals and reduce pedal strikes.

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
Increased weight of these Ebikes can get away from you easily on technical trails. I also frequently commute and shop on my bike. After 30 years clipless I switched to flats and enjoying it so much more. Just bought the Xpedo Sprye petals and will replace with more aggressive pins if needed. They are very thin pedals and reduce pedal strikes.
Same pedals i just bought haha in silver . now my bike just needs to come in so i can try them out . :cool:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles