Padded cycling shorts, what are your recommendations?

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
So having tried several different padded cycling shorts over the years, I still haven’t managed to find a pair that offer great padding; any suggestions?

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
I've got a pair of Fox ones i bought at Dalby after leaving my gel seat at home and they are pretty good but no where near as good as a gel seat . both together and its decent .

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England

I use these gives you a bit of protection and have a good pad I find them good for a day in the saddle

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The variety of pads looks like a great idea, but the padded liners I linked to don't offer the option for different pads. You just get what they have decided for those liners. I was been happy with them for many years. Then I started riding a lot further per ride and more frequently and got a saddle sore. That is now healed and I used Bepanthem nappy cream where the saddle sore was (thanks @Gary) and I have had no further problems.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve tried Altura and Endura, and found both pretty average. My current shorts are Yeti, which have a much plusher feeling pad.
I also have a set of Gore bib tights for winter, and the insert in them is amazing.
My next short under shorts will be Gore, based on the tights.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I also have a set of Gore bib tights for winter, and the insert in them is amazing.
My next short under shorts will be Gore, based on the tights.
I see that Gore offer C3 liner shorts and C5 liner shorts, yet they look the same. What is the difference between C3 and C5? I'm assuming its the padding. Nothing on the web pages.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I see that Gore offer C3 liner shorts and C5 liner shorts, yet they look the same. What is the difference between C3 and C5? I'm assuming its the padding. Nothing on the web pages.

I think there’s C3, C5 and C7? 3 is cheaper, 5 is mid, and 7 is more expensive.
As with most things, the more you pay, the better they are! My bib tights are C5.
Classed as Active, Advanced and Expert...

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Thanks for your input. I’ve ordered some Altura Pro gel as a mate also recommended them.

If you don’t already use some form of lubricant on your padding, I’d support @steve_sordy comment. Been using it for a few years now, no saddle sores since.

motmcd

Mar 5, 2019
reading,pa
I know this will sound counterintuitive, but over-padded saddles, even when wearing the best shorts with chamois, can cause greater discomfort. Your contact patch is too big sitting on an overly soft saddle and that's compounded by wearing chamois shorts. It's best to wear quality chamois shorts with a not-so-cushy saddle. Your arse will acclimate, you won't get chaffing, and you won't apply pressure unnecessarily to the nerves in your nether region.

wkearney99

May 8, 2020
Bethesda, MD USA
This is a timely thread. I'm looking for new shorts.

When I last rode regularly I found gel shorts/seats were often worse than nothing because the gel would get squished out of place if you spent more than a few minutes really seated on them. I ended up a lot happier (and in less pain) with chamois lined shorts (synthetic or natural, both were good). Have the materials changed enough to make that no longer a factor?

And is anyone making lined shorts for kids? My skinny 12 year old boy has raised some complaints about discomfort 'up front' with regular underwear. For some stuff XS women's sizes work but for this, I'm guessing not?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
For me, a balance lightweight and highly protective is best for all mountain type emtb. These are an example.

pro_1620_short-900x900.jpg

Demon FlexForce X D3O Padded Shorts MTB V2

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
The padding function is to drain the sweat out of the skin at the spots where it contacts the saddle and rubs against the mix of cloth and some excess skin (this increases as I age), rather than just adding comfort and softness. I say it because from this perspective a foam padding may be more efficient than a gel one, since the sweat may not break through the gel as it does with foam. I have been wearing fox shorts for years, from the less pricey ranger line to the most expensive ones, no gel on the paddings and chamois cream to avoid sores.

Last edited:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
ALSO, regular men's underwear usually has a seam right across the 'taint' which, when paired with the pressure put on this area by sitting on a bicycle seat, can cause discomfort over time.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
My backside has worn in now after 1900k since September 2019 in the saddle. So padding in shorts doesn’t really make much difference to me ??.. that’s true though, padded shorts or not, now at 30-40k trail riding doesn’t make any difference to my iron ass !!!

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Ha, timely thread . . . These just came yesterday fom Amazon. I have two pair of the spandex still but I still always feel like one of those chicks (at least I think they are chicks 🤔) that go flyng by me in their shiny colorful total spandex outfits 😱.

I have not tried them yet as the first pair came in a large and they were way too big. These are loose fitting (my "boys" will like this) and they have zippered pockets for my wallet and stuff.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 8.32.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 8.32.35 AM.png

Last edited:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Have tried a few, send them all back except for the assos trail liner pants. Comes with 2 protector pads.
The fit and comfort is amazing can barely feel it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles