OS Maps on Garmin

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I tried the OpenMTBMaps briefly when I tested out maps from several different places. The ones I ended up preferring though were from here: freizeitkarte - the routing worked better for me and I thought they looked nicer.

If you don't have free maps for your region with Garmin, then I'd definitely recommend trying out free downloads from elsewhere. If you buy separate maps from Garmin then you don't get any future updates from them (whereas free maps that come with their devices will get updated for free).

I also don't recommend the Ordnance Survey maps that Garmin sell for their devices - they look terrible and are impossible to see anything on them as they are so "busy" graphically. It's impossible to see your track you've cycled along as it is drawn so thin.

Whichever map you use, if you do any auto calculation of routing then I would check the route it creates really closely before actually cycling it! There are often mistakes whenever I've tried it ...

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I used the openmtb maps for years, I thought they were great and in some instances were better than the Garmin maps I now have

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles