Orbea Rise - bike rack

Sonve

Aug 22, 2019
Norway
Hi,

I am looking for a bike rack to fit two Orbea Rise (size M and XL) with battery extender.

I have tried the Thule Velocompact 2 and Thule Easyfold XT 2, but none of these fit very well. If I mount the clamp on the seat tube, the bike is positioned to much over to one side. I cant mount I to the frame because the bottle cage for the extender and position of the suspension. I like the concept of 1up, but I live in Norway (EU) and the 1Up does not seem to fit my car.

The bike is 20,2 kg without extender, so not all of the racks fit my bike. Any tips/advice?

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I currently use an ATERA Strada DL for my Cube and expect it to work just as well when the Rise arrives .Not cheap but a great bit of kit and if you have a hatchback it hinges forward to give access.You'll just need to check capacity although as they can carry 4 std bikes should be ok.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I'm in the US. You must have the 1.25 inch receiver. Here most vehicles have the 2 inch receiver. They do make an adapter that goes from 1.25 to 2 inches, but it will reduce the tongue weight limit by 50%. Do European cars have metric size receivers or are they in inches?
Hvor bor du i Norge? Jeg bodde der i to år for mange år siden.

Last edited:

Epic-Eric

Nov 6, 2021
Netherlands
Hi There,
I had the same problem on my Thule Easyfold XT 2 with the the fitting of my LEVO.
I bought a second set of arms and shortened the aluminum pipe and cut some extra wire on the fastening rod. Fits now perfect.

Eric

vladej

Jun 28, 2021
Slovenia
Hi,
I am using Thule Velospace XT 2 938 . It's a model designed e-bikes and fat bikes with distance between bikes 25cm.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I am using a kuat transfer v2. I carry my 37lb xl enduro bike on it and my wife's medium rise with a range extender. I haven't carried two rises on it, but I schlepped my enduro sled and a bullit on it with zero issues which is a combined weight of ~87lbs or so. I am using a 2" receiver version... but I quite like the rack. I used to have a 1up rack and wasn't a huge fan, so this was the replacement.

lEDgy5v.jpg

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I have an Easyfold XT, and it works fine with my Rise. I clamp right above the charging port (not super tight) on the seat tube and use a rubber fastener to make 100% sure it doesn't open. It's not super easy to fit it on but once you figure it out it's no problem. The jaws must be pointing 45 degrees down towards seat tube to get in the triangle of the frame, the rotated upwards around seat stay before clamping.

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Love the sticker on the back of your ute/truck - MOUTIAN BIKING IS NOT A CRIME. Bloody hell you guys must have it tough in the US compared to the rest of the world, feeling a bit sorry for you guys. Do you ever get any comments about it?

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I am using a kuat transfer v2. I carry my 37lb xl enduro bike on it and my wife's medium rise with a range extender. I haven't carried two rises on it, but I schlepped my enduro sled and a bullit on it with zero issues which is a combined weight of ~87lbs or so. I am using a 2" receiver version... but I quite like the rack. I used to have a 1up rack and wasn't a huge fan, so this was the replacement.

lEDgy5v.jpg

The problem that our European friends have to deal with is that most of the cars (small) over there have 1.25" receiver hitches. Most US made racks that can carry two heavy bikes are 2" receiver. If you use an adapter to size it down, it reduces the total weight carrying capacity to below what two ebikes would be. There are a number of 1.25 inch receiver racks that can carry two ebikes made in Europe, but the selection is limited.
Funny....I had a Kuat transfer and wasn't real happy with it and switched to a 1up and like it better. To each his own.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Kuat NV2 works great for me. I bought it before they were stupidly expensive, and I've had it replaced under warranty for corrosion twice. Which is actually a good thing! They honor their lifetime warranty. I assume that's factored into the price.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Kuat NV2 works great for me. I bought it before they were stupidly expensive, and I've had it replaced under warranty for corrosion twice. Which is actually a good thing! They honor their lifetime warranty. I assume that's factored into the price.

Yeah, the Kuat NV2 is definitely a great rack...although as you said, stupidly expensive. I think it's one of the rare ones in the US that has a pretty high weight capacity even for a 1.25" receiver.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Yeah, the Kuat NV2 is definitely a great rack...although as you said, stupidly expensive. I think it's one of the rare ones in the US that has a pretty high weight capacity even for a 1.25" receiver.

For me, the other selling point is that I can load my wife and my MTBs, eMTBs, gravel bikes, and fat bikes without having to change or swap or adjust any parts at all. It just magically accommodates them all. And ridiculously easy and fast to load.

The one thing I don't like about the Kuat is the false sense of security with their built-in cable and lock. I am quite confident I could get through the cable in 30 seconds with a butter knife. And in fact, I cut through it crazy fast when the lock cylinders broke.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
My daughter has a Rocky Mounts rack that has the same cable lock. It's about as good as a shoe string. I just chain my puppy to the rack when I park. No one messes with my bike.
1636478726075.png

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I really wish we could get proper racks in EU. That kuat seems 100 times better than anything available here because you don't need to clamp on the frame and it looks to be a lot faster to mount/unmount too.

hdqboss

Nov 4, 2021
Northeast Ohio, USA
Love the sticker on the back of your ute/truck - MOUTIAN BIKING IS NOT A CRIME. Bloody hell you guys must have it tough in the US compared to the rest of the world, feeling a bit sorry for you guys. Do you ever get any comments about it?
Yes unfortunately we are behind other countries with acceptance of eMTBs. Most of those that oppose ebikes and never even ridden one. They still think they destroy trails and riders are “cheating”.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Yes unfortunately we are behind other countries with acceptance of eMTBs. Most of those that oppose ebikes and never even ridden one. They still think they destroy trails and riders are “cheating”.
To be fair, in the sense that they allow riders to ride longer and more, they do tend to make riders wear on the trails than would otherwise happen.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles