Orbea Rise Battery Replacement

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
how did it fail?
how often did you use it?
did you run it to completely flat?
did you leave it empty, fully charged or part charged?

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
Mine went it with a fault 3.5 weeks ago and it was quickly diagnosed as a dead battery. I am still waiting so I think at least 3 weeks

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Rise Gen0 2021/22

Also I reckon this has only lasted 3 years, 6000 k. Is this normal?
My Shimano battery can be analysed with the Etube Windows app. It tells me :

1) How many recorded charge cycles
2) How many time I charged it in extreme temps, both high and low.
3) How many time I discharged it in extreme temps, both high and low.

If you have less than 1000 charge cycles and have not been charging and discharging it in extreme temperatures a lot. Then it should have more life.

That said, battery maintenance is critical. I always wipe down my battery and spray my contacts with water dispersant after any wettish rides. And regularly spray with contact cleaner when dusty.

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
That said, battery maintenance is critical. I always wipe down my battery and spray my contacts with water dispersant after any wettish rides. And regularly spray with contact cleaner when dusty.
I’ve got a 23 Rise. To access the battery and do all that maintenance I’d have to pull my motor. Is that what you do after your wet rides or were the batteries on the earlier Rise easily accessibl?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I've lodged a couple of warranty claims through the shop that I bought my Rise. Not for the battery, motor and linkage but anyway...

The owner of the shop on both occasions has said that Orbea aren't the most efficient at communicating. They get there in the end but never seem to rush. I know when I've ordered through the Orbea website it usually gives a couple of weeks estimate on shipping and then obviously you got to wait for the shipping too.

If you're waiting for a warranty, it will have been passed to Madison to sort out who again, can take a while to get around to things.

In fact, even if it's not a warranty, I reckon you'll still be waiting on Madison as they're the importer and distributor for Shimano. Unless of course Orbea ship batteries direct.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Same reasons why I'm a one and done Orbea customer. Linkage discontinued, and using their own battery instead of sticking with the OEM's battery. Gonna be close to impossible to find one of these batteries 3-5 years from now specially if there's no aftermarket refurbishers.

Disposable eMTBs going to the landfill.

doochenozzle

May 16, 2023
Dildo, Newfoundland
Same reasons why I'm a one and done Orbea customer. Linkage discontinued, and using their own battery instead of sticking with the OEM's battery. Gonna be close to impossible to find one of these batteries 3-5 years from now specially if there's no aftermarket refurbishers.

Disposable eMTBs going to the landfill.
What linkage is discontinued?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Yeah, that really annoyed me when I found out.

Bike is 2 years old and they've made the linkage obsolete.

I had a creaky linkage with and a bit of play (again) and wanted to buy a new axle (again). Bought one about a year ago at £45, this time around it would have been £350 for a complete new assembly.

It's good that they addressed the crappy design of the original but terrible to have made the original parts obsolete after such a short time.

Fortunately for me, the shop from whom I bought the hike were awesome and managed to wangle a replacement under warranty.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I’ve got a 23 Rise. To access the battery and do all that maintenance I’d have to pull my motor. Is that what you do after your wet rides or were the batteries on the earlier Rise easily accessibl?
My comment wasn't about the Orbea Rise. It was about the battery life. And I was answering that question.

Time and km is a factor in battery life. But how the battery was used, charged and maintained is a big factor as well.

If you cannot check how you have used, charged or do maintenance on the battery. Then whatever battery life you get, is what you get. Whether it's normal or abnormal can't be assessed without knowing how the battery was treated.

I have put small capacity batteries on a bike and only got 2000km out of the battery. I put a much bigger capacity battery on that same bike, and 10,000km in. It's still going. That's because the larger capacity battery is rated to work much harder, and using it at a fraction of it's rated capacity, means it will last much longer.

Regarding your 23 Rise. I take my EP6 motor out every 12 months, to thoroughly clean and apply water dispersant all over. Then wiping it down. But I'm fussy that way, and come from a background of building my first 5 ebikes.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Yes, Orbea make there own batteries for the Rise. It is not a Shimano product
The battery in the mk1 Rise is NOT made by Orbea. They buy them from Trend Power - a big Taiwanese co.
see this thread - Orbea Rise Power and Batteries

Orbea aren't the only manufacturer to use Trend batteries - quick search brought up Merida and others.

The actual cells inside all batterys are 'standard' dimensions so theres no reason a refurber couldn't re-cell a trend battery in exactly the same way as any other.

On the linkage the new parts from the public website add up to a lot, but dealer only site was still listing the old linkage arms. And there is a a complete 'replacement kit' with a single part number that's a lot cheaper (and that Orbea seem to discount depending on the age of the bike). I think mine cost £130 at a 30% discount.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Thanks for all the comments

Not mechanically minded that's why it's at the LBS

Four weeks and waiting....

I regularly rode it until the battery was empty, but most rides would take it down to 3 bars. I would then top it up before riding it again.

At first it was charging erratically, then it wouldn't turn off. Changed the power button and all the innards but this didn't solve the problem.

Then it refused to charge full stop.

I think it time for new bike, but this will be the last Orbea I'm afraid

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
The older 3-piece linkage (axle + two sides) for the rise. which some want to use w/ the cascade link.
Only just saw this. You're outraged that Orbea have discontinued a part that had issues (and replaced it with an improved version) so people can no longer fit a third party modification that would invalidate Orbea's warranty....

There's nothing to stop Cascade making all the parts needed to fit their linkage.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles