Oakley Prism Trail

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have used Oakley Jawbreaker mtb glasses for quite a few years and always used the "Low Light" lens in them. Most of my riding is in Forests and as any of you who ride forest trails will know, as soon as you enter a section with a lot of tree cover any lens with more light filter puts you in the dark!! I never thought to try other lenses because every other type of full frame riding glasses are usually a nightmare to change a lens.................all those years and I never thought to check how to change lens on the Jawbreaker!

I decided to try the Prism Trail lens and found out that the Jawbreaker has a brilliant system for changing lenses and literally takes a few seconds.

As for the Prism trail lens...it is fantastic in woodland really making brown and greens stand out, and best of all it still allows enough light to pass for the darkest sections of the woods to the extent that certainly for most of the summer, these are the lens I will be using., maybe reverting to the Low Light lens in the winter months.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
We also have Jawbreakers with Prizm Trail Torch lenses. Wear them all year round in woodland and open terrain, even in winter the definition is really good.

Edit: p

Last edited:

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I have used Oakley low light lenses for years now. The persimmons were my favorite for a long time but they discontinued them several years ago when they came out with the Prism lenses. I use the Sutro frame with the Trail lens now and it does work as advertised in the woods that are where I primarily ride. I have a darker lens to swap into for if I go to the dez but don't get there much these days......

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Nice Mikerb, another converted to how good Oakley trail lenses are!

There are two Trail lenses - Trail Torch and Trail (believe Torch is the newer one) they are almost identical though with rose base and VLT 35% for the Torch and 36% for Trail.

I use the trail torch for majority of my riding, even in bright sunshine they are good, but cloudy days and changeable brightness through trees and things they are fantastic. They actually brighten in general so much so here in NZ in winter I wear them commuting even just before sunrise as they make that almost twilight time brighter than without glasses on.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Nice Mikerb, another converted to how good Oakley trail lenses are!

There are two Trail lenses - Trail Torch and Trail (believe Torch is the newer one) they are almost identical though with rose base and VLT 35% for the Torch and 36% for Trail.

I use the trail torch for majority of my riding, even in bright sunshine they are good, but cloudy days and changeable brightness through trees and things they are fantastic. They actually brighten in general so much so here in NZ in winter I wear them commuting even just before sunrise as they make that almost twilight time brighter than without glasses on.
I bought from the main Oakley website but did not see any reference to "Torch". Regardless I am completely impressed with the prism trail. A couple of other positives for anyone else considering Oakley kit. The lens I have been using for about 5 years now has survived a few crashes and numerous attacks from overhanging shrubbery without a single scratch! The Trail lens I recently purchased arrived in 2 days and the packaging was extremely professional......no risk of damage in the post.
For those not aware the method used on the Jawbreaker to change lens is also impressively designed. The nose piece is attached to a metal cammed lever. The nose piece can be levered upwards which releases the top of the frame. The existing lens is then easy to remove. Insert the new lens and lever the nose piece down again.

If only Oakley made motors......hehe!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I'm a Jawbreaker man too, and have been wearing them for the last 7 years.
Looking at the lenses online, I think I have the PRIZM Road, rather than the Trail version. Not sure the Trail version existed back then... but it may be something I need to invest in!
I bought a cheap (non Oakley) lens off ebay in clear for the Jawbreaker's that I've used ocassionally for really miserable dull days (since it's so easy to change), but most of the time, I leave my PRIZM one in. Perhaps the Trail lens would negate the need for me ever changing it? The Road lens is good for very bright sunny days out in the open though.

I've recently got a set of the Oakley Airbrake MTB goggles for wearing with a full face helmet when I go to trail centres. I got the PRIZM Torch lens with them, and then got the PRIZM Jade lens too. Once again, very easy to change the lens.
Much the same as the snow Airbrake ones I've had since 2007!

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
To me, Oakley coating only down is that I can’t see the lcd on the car while driving. They are perfect for shadowy trails, but got to have some other lenses for drving.

Frankie_r

Oct 18, 2021
Italy
I have the new Prizm Trail Torch lens: hands down the best lens I’ve ever used. I also had the old Prizm Trail lens but they were too dark.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
why not just use photochromic lenses, they are amazing.

I have the Oakley Sutro frames with the Trail Torch lens but also purchased the photochromic lens.

The Trail Torch lens is indeed excellent in sunny conditions, but the photochromic lens is far more versatile and I tend to use these as standard , probably 9 months of the year.

HeffyD

Mar 13, 2024
Ottawa, Ontario
Is anyone using these with prescription lenses ?
I have used the Prizm Trail Prescription Progressive Lenses in my Oakleys. They are awesome. I used them riding the Great Divide across the Western US, in desert and in forest, and they were great. The progressive aspect allowed me to read my garmin computer without taking them off. Unfortunately, 2 days ago, my husky chewed my glasses... :( and they are EXPENSIVE...

robguide

Nov 20, 2022
Wales
If you want a photochromic lens I’d recommend Melon Optics - big lens, easy changes. Snow lens for skiing. High quality and on a par with Oakley lenses

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I have a set of older Oakley Flak Jackets that I used to use for road riding on sunny days, but have switched to different glasses for that. Oakley makes a set of Prizm Trail lenses for them but not the Trail Torch. It's about 60% cheaper than buying new Oakley's with the Trail Torch.

Is the Torch that muich better than the Trail? Does it justify the money?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
SPORTRX.COM:

OAKLEY PRIZM™ TRAIL TORCH OVERVIEW
Following the success of PRIZM™ Trail, Oakley engineers created PRIZM™ Trail Torch. This PRIZM™ Sport lens features a Torch Iridium® coating to kick aesthetics up a notch. Iridium® is Oakley’s term for mirror, so this lens stands out and reflects more light than the standard Trail lens. The VLT is 35% so it is only slightly darker than PRIZM™ Trail. Although this lens is functionally very similar to the original, the Torch Iridium® finish adds some flare and helps fight glare. PRIZM™ Trail Torch also has a PRIZM™ Rose base, making details on the trail easier to see.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
@irie thanks ... that seems to imply a couple of different things. One, mostly aesthetics and the second that they are better ... just wondering if anyone's ridden with both and whether they think the price difference ($100 CAD to $260 CAD) is justified.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
@irie thanks ... that seems to imply a couple of different things. One, mostly aesthetics and the second that they are better ... just wondering if anyone's ridden with both and whether they think the price difference ($100 CAD to $260 CAD) is justified.
I have Jawbreaker glasses with Trail Torch lenses and Airbrake goggles with Torch lenses. Can't tell the difference but don't switch between them on a day.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
on the Oakley website I can see the Jawbreakers glasses sold with the option for the Torch lens but the lens on its own does not seem to be avaialble for the Jawbreaker.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I have a set of older Oakley Flak Jackets that I used to use for road riding on sunny days, but have switched to different glasses for that. Oakley makes a set of Prizm Trail lenses for them but not the Trail Torch. It's about 60% cheaper than buying new Oakley's with the Trail Torch.

Is the Torch that muich better than the Trail? Does it justify the money?
You should read this review Oakley Prizm Trail and Trail Torch Lens Review

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Thanks ... while I think I would prefer the Torch, this validates the decision to keep some cash in my pocket. I don't mind spending for good glasses (have Maui Jim polarized for driving, Ray-Ban polarized for casual wearing and Nike polarized for general activities), I definitely scratch MTB glasses every now and then so the value proposition is a bit different.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles