NW Arkansas e-MTB newbies

ArkyEbiker

Aug 30, 2023
NW Arkansas
After 27 years riding tens of thousands of miles on so many analog mountain bikes, I finally went to the dark side and bought my first e-MTB in July. I was one of the narrow minded haters of e-bikes - until I rode one. But, at over age 50 and with a heart condition that requires me to keep my max HR below 150, analog biking was becoming less and less fun. My EP doc also advised me to switch to an e-bike.

So, after my wife had a meltdown on her analog MTB in June, she decided it was time for us to start researching e-bike options. After testing a couple of bikes and soliciting suggestions (including those of @Jschlueter), we settled on a nearly matching pair of Gen 2 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp alloys. I mean, at the discounted sale price of $5600, that's less than many comparable analog bikes with a slightly above bargain basement component spec. I detest the gloss black of mine, but when it's the only S5 color you can find, you buy it.

She's never had so much fun on a mountain bike and I haven't had this much fun in 15+ years. I've gradually begun selling my analog MTBs, but will keep a couple as "backup bikes," knowing the longevity and reliability of the Brose motors are limited.

I've made some strategic component changes/upgrades on mine so far - Zeb Ultimate fork, Pirelli tires (the stock Specialized tires have the sidewall strength of wet toilet paper), zooty Deity bits (stem, bar, TMAC pedals, and grips), and a set of 155mm Hope e-bike cranks. New Saint brakes on the way! I just can't help myself!

71011773732--341AA813-C1AE-4161-84A3-E65F1E10B170.jpg

71011775159--FBEA4567-8759-49F9-BA85-B1267B26C694.jpg

Last edited:

ArkyEbiker

Aug 30, 2023
NW Arkansas
Good to have you onboard but those 'backup bikes' will be gathering dust and making the garage look untidy 😁
And it's SUCH a great time to be selling bikes, right? I just sold an Ibis Ripley complete with decent, lightly used components for less than what I paid for the frame last November.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles