Levo Gen 3 Not your typical Boost Battery install

Greeno

Jul 6, 2024
San Diego, Cal
Just picked up a 23' levo comp carbon and wanted to add an additional boost battery for some of my longer rides and since Specialized doesn't make an additional battery, they do for the SL series, I looked around and ordered up one from across the pond that has some positive reviews.
Only issue I had was not wanting the battery/harness connection pigtail to come out of a "notched" motor housing I wanted a cleaner overall look so this is what I came up with.

Removed the motor and inspected the frame interior for any obstructions I needed to consider.
IMG_0338.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

I found a fairly flat exterior section that would work and have adequate room on the inside and got to work.
IMG_0330.jpeg

IMG_0334.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

Layed out my hole and drilled two pilot holes and then got my dremel tool for the final shaping. drift the receptacle and drilled and tapped for the two mounting screws.

Shortened up the "new" harness battery pigtail as it will be inside of the frame now and resoldered on a new xt60 connector and then soldered on a 6" pigtail to the receptacle with the opposite connector and mounted it to the frame.
IMG_0347.jpeg

I could not find a xt60 male receptacle anywhere with a flip cover so I just went with a female version and since the battery came with a female connector as well I just made up a male/male adapter to connect up between the two.
I could always remove the female connector on the battery and resolver in a male but this will work for now.
IMG_0358.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg
IMG_0363.jpeg

IMG_0366.jpeg

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Dude that is first class work. Looks great! Let me know what kind of range you are getting when you get some rides on it.

Greeno

Jul 6, 2024
San Diego, Cal
Did a couple of my normal rides last week without the extra battery and with it and here’s what I finished with.

Single 700w battery. Approx 20 ahrs
21.3 miles
1500’ elevation
40% remaining/ (8ahrs).
12ahrs used.

Single 700w battery AND 252w boost battery. Approx 20 + 7 = 27ahrs
21.3 miles
1500’ elevation
55% remaining/ (14.85ahrs).
12.15ahrs used. Maybe from the extra weight or just my riding.

Both ride’s ridden in “Turbo” mode just to see a worse case scenario.
Typically ride in eco mode on the flats, trail mode for the most part and turbo mode for any steeper climbing spots.

Worth the effort to install for me.
Got some longer rides up in the hills here in SD but gonna wait until it cools off a bit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles