Non-drive side rear axle problem

SenderoSeeker

Dec 9, 2018
Madrid, Spain.
Today I noticed a noise on my Rise H15. I thought the cassette was loose, but it turns out that the threaded boot on the non-drive side of the rear axle has come loose. This holds a washer in place that is now dancing around. I see no way of tightening this. Even with the axle tightened to its 10nm, it's still loose.

Has anyone else had this problem?
SCR-20230205-pxc.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It looks like the assenbly is fixed into the frame with a circlip...and that circlip looks to be broken. If so remove the remains of the circlip, remove the assembly, clean, and refit with a new circlip.

SenderoSeeker

Dec 9, 2018
Madrid, Spain.
It looks like the assenbly is fixed into the frame with a circlip...and that circlip looks to be broken. If so remove the remains of the circlip, remove the assembly, clean, and refit with a new circlip.
How do I remove the assembly'? It's threaded into the frame and I don't see any way to remove this. I don't even understand how they've got it in there.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
D55C269B-E8A8-43A0-B030-D80F10226A3F.jpeg
Maybe these will help. Looks to be held in place by the axle and when the axle isn’t connected it’s held in place by the o-ring? Might just push out from the inside? 8A3CC797-BD1D-4E1B-B1E5-E8B48EABB7D7.jpeg

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
This is how it should look. Looks like the whole assembly has popped out when the wheel was off or when the axle was pushed in and the circlip has popped out of its location. Maybe just remove it all and it put it all back together with everything properly seated so the outer cover sits flush and try not to push too hard when installing the axle

596E67F7-ADDE-4835-AA50-E807AC28750C.jpeg

rocky yeung

May 1, 2020
Hong Kong
(Edited) The circlip should be used to hold the bearing, and should not be easily seen normally.

Normally the circlip should not pop out. It should stay inside a groove. I guess it might be a bad workmanship that allowed the circlip not fully housing in. And the bearing now might be pushed outward such that you can see the circlip right now. You may need to press the bearing to seat in completely before the circlip can be seated in its groove.

Check the video belows that helps you the orientation.

template - 複製 (3).jpg

Last edited:

rocky yeung

May 1, 2020
Hong Kong
The circlip opening (yellow arrow) should be placed near the notch (solid yellow arrow) because you want the tool insert can easily squeeze the circlip out of the groove. If you place the opening opposite the notch, you may find it is hard to do that.

template - 複製 (4).jpg

SenderoSeeker

Dec 9, 2018
Madrid, Spain.
The circlip opening (yellow arrow) should be placed near the notch (solid yellow arrow) because you want the tool insert can easily squeeze the circlip out of the groove. If you place the opening opposite the notch, you may find it is hard to do that.

View attachment 106095
I can't get it to sit back under the end cap. It seems way to big. Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to apply any real pressure to the end cap. Should the circlip fit inside the red area of the bearing? If so, it's way too big.

SenderoSeeker

Dec 9, 2018
Madrid, Spain.
I can't get it to sit back under the end cap. It seems way to big. Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to apply any real pressure to the end cap. Should the circlip fit inside the red area of the bearing? If so, it's way too big.
OK. I've seen where it clips in, but I had to remove the bearing to get it seated. Now I cant get the damned bearing back in. And I don't have a bearing press. This gets better and better

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Sounds like the bearing has moved out slightly. Remove the bearing and thoroughly clean the area so that the bearing can be fully pressed all the way back in. Once the bearing is fully seated it should fully expose the groove for the circlip to be installed that holds the bearing in place. Best to do it with a press but I’ve always used a selection of sockets and a long bolt and nut or vice/clamp.

Last edited:

SenderoSeeker

Dec 9, 2018
Madrid, Spain.
Sounds like the bearing has moved out slightly. Remove the bearing and thoroughly clean the area so that the bearing can be fully pressed all the way back in. Once the bearing is fully seated it should leave enough of a gap for the circlip to be installed to hold the bearing in place. Best to do it with a press but I’ve always used a selection of sockets and a long bolt and nut or vice/clamp.
Yep. I'm going to try this tomorrow. What a crappy system. Never seen anything like this on any bike I've had.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Yep. I'm going to try this tomorrow. What a crappy system. Never seen anything like this on any bike I've had.
I have a friend with a commencal clash that has the same system on each side but without the circlip. Every now and then the bearing moves out so the chainstay and seatstay rub together. Constantly moaning that it’s a crap design and they should have used a groove with a circlip (just like the orbea you have) to hold the bearing in place. Don’t know why yours failed, maybe the bearing and circlip was never installed properly but it should work faultlessly

rocky yeung

May 1, 2020
Hong Kong
OK. I've seen where it clips in, but I had to remove the bearing to get it seated. Now I cant get the damned bearing back in. And I don't have a bearing press. This gets better and better
Sometimes there's dirt or debris behind the bearing that causes it to not fully seat in the bottom and then the circlip is not expanded into its housing groove at all. Whatever it is, make sure you could see the groove clearly enough to allow the circlip returns into its expanded state so that it will no way escape from the groove. This design is alright. You could hardly see any failure if it is installed correctly.

template - 複製 (3).jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles