No name hubs

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
H30 22 model

Story is they couldn’t get Shimano hubs during covid so they sourced some other crap instead. Are you guys aware of this issue?

Turns out they are chosen hubs made in Taiwan. H30 and some H15 affected

The bearings are too tight for the correctly sized axle so the bearings run tight and notchy …and the free hub is aluminium not steal so the pawls are forced back and distort the body making the hub slip and or stick

Warranty has been accepted but 3 months on, no parts. Supplier is responsive but the supply line I guess is me to dealer > Orbea Spain > Chosen Taiwan > back to Orbea Spain > to the dealer > then to me.

Add in all of these hubs are going to fail being manual parts in an e bike then it ain’t going to be a quick process getting bits

They should supply new wheels but they ain’t having that it seems.

799A03A5-1E6B-436E-AD48-4A2A63DC6C6B.png

dthree

Aug 8, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
There was a discussion about these not too long ago.

Glad mine are holding up so far but that image scares me a bit.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Wait until you see the hub hollow axle. (Not the spindle the holds the wheel in)
I very much doubt it will come out in one piece it’s in the bearing so tight

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Never had a hub fail on me or anyone else in my circle (7-10 mtb’ers). But almost everyone has upgraded from the original hub on their bike.

I use the Project 321, 32 spoke, 216 POE. Neighbour went to a i9 Hydra(the angry bee) 590 POE. Hope, DT Swiss, Spank, Onyx, Tarian etc. …sometimes you get what you pay for.

I noticed a huge improvement when I went up to a 216 Poe. If I service the hub and bearings regularly, I should get some decent life and performance.

OnlySendsMTB

Aug 3, 2024
St. Louis Missouri
So, my Original no name hub and freehub self destructed April '23. Got my warranty wheel (with Shimano fh-mt510-b hub) that fall. Well, that wheel took a dump on me last weekend. The bearings in the freehub have left the chat. I don't have a local Orbea dealer so I took some pics and a video and sent them to one of the closest dealers down in Bentonville. Bikes still under warranty so hoping the wheel gets warrantied again.

All that said, any aggressive enduro/freeride kinda guys have long term experience with an aftermarked hub that isn't made of glass? Do any companies make a heavy duty FOR EBIKES kind of hub? I'm not interested in high engagement crap, just something that is built for the torque of an Eeb.

See my original wheel issue video here:

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I've got various DT Swiss hubs and they've all been good (long, steep climbs on every ride). You can have alloy or steel freehubs but the alloy seems to last well anyway. Consider a DT 350 or Hybrid hub.

xtraman122

Mar 2, 2024
USA
So, my Original no name hub and freehub self destructed April '23. Got my warranty wheel (with Shimano fh-mt510-b hub) that fall. Well, that wheel took a dump on me last weekend. The bearings in the freehub have left the chat. I don't have a local Orbea dealer so I took some pics and a video and sent them to one of the closest dealers down in Bentonville. Bikes still under warranty so hoping the wheel gets warrantied again.

All that said, any aggressive enduro/freeride kinda guys have long term experience with an aftermarked hub that isn't made of glass? Do any companies make a heavy duty FOR EBIKES kind of hub? I'm not interested in high engagement crap, just something that is built for the torque of an Eeb.

See my original wheel issue video here:
The DT Swiss 350 seems to be well known for being strong and reliable, even in e-bikes. They actually make a specific e-bike version now, but I’ve heard of plenty of people using the standard one that’s been around forever even with high power 1000w builds with no issues.

The i9 Hydra is pretty good as well now that they fixed the one issue they had with it, but the sound and crazy POE isn’t for everyone. I’d go with a DT Swiss for reliability and durability.

OnlySendsMTB

Aug 3, 2024
St. Louis Missouri
The DT Swiss 350 seems to be well known for being strong and reliable, even in e-bikes. They actually make a specific e-bike version now, but I’ve heard of plenty of people using the standard one that’s been around forever even with high power 1000w builds with no issues.

The i9 Hydra is pretty good as well now that they fixed the one issue they had with it, but the sound and crazy POE isn’t for everyone. I’d go with a DT Swiss for reliability and durability.
I'm looking real hard at just buying a set of DT Dwiss H 1900 wheels.

chalks

Mar 2, 2022
UK
My no name hub gave up after 13 months. The bike shop weren''t prepared to chase Orbea for a replacement as they said it was out of warranty. I ended up buying a DT Swiss XM 1700 wheel set which I'm very pleased with.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles