Night riding!

Declutter

Jul 26, 2024
New Orleans, LA
For some reason I have always loved night riding, and try to get out for a night ride three to four times a week. Last year I managed to get in about 200hrs of night riding fun and probably about the same for the previous two years as well.

I'm pretty lucky in that I can be off road and riding within one minute of leaving the house, and have several brilliant spots to venture into. I've had a few incidents, seen some pretty odd things, but it's all good fun.

So, does anyone else love night riding, and what lighting set up do you use?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Love night riding the trails feel so much faster in the dark
I use an Exposure Maxx-d and a Joystick on my head
I had looked at the magicshine monteer 12000 but not sure if its a bit over kill all thou i like the idea of the dip beam for road use as i also commute (y)

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I’ve got a Lezyne Macro Drive 1000 on my Trek, and just bought one for my Orbea, but waiting for a Di2 derailleur to arrive before dropping the motor to get the lighting and derailleur wired up and shifter cable pulled. The Trek has a rear light that draws off the main battery, but if I had to do it again I’d do what I did with the Orbea: get a cheap rechargeable light that straps to the underside of the saddle, and has an auto-on/off feature.

Warm summer nights I’ll ride in the Marin Headlands, right across the Golden Gate Bridge - GGNRA is open 24/7 and a trailhead into GGNRA and the contiguous parks and open spaces further north is a backroad mile from my house. When the days get shorter a lot of my rides end at night as well.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Bontrager has a system that works good for night riding. The stem incorporates a GoPro mount or light mount. I then also use a helmet mount.

IMG_8086.jpeg

IMG_8085.jpeg

At night familiar trails start to look different. You also see some really weird stuff …things you can’t un-see. 😱

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I love to night ride, and after time change that's pretty much all I get to do during the week. I got some cheap lights to try night riding incase I didn't like it. I picked up one of the biggest cheap, rechargeable bicycle light bars you can find all over aliexpress and amazon. I've been so happy with it that I haven't wanted to upgrade. I would buy a new one every year if I had to.

I really wanted to install a Surron headlight kit since my bike has headlight control built into the controller, but it just doesn't seem worth all the work when the light bar works so well.

I've been using a night rider helmet light. That will get passed down to one of my kids this year and I'm going to get an Outbound Hangover helmet light. I really like their products but I can't bring myself to spend $250 on their Trail Evo light when my $40 light bar works so well.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I like a night ride and use a MaXX D on the bars to see where I’m going and a Diablo on my helmet to see where I’m looking

DirkWisely

Jun 14, 2024
California
Night riding seems like it would be fun, but all the parks around me close at sunset. Is that different for you guys, or is it just not a concern?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles