Newbie looking for guidance on which brand/bike

L3n9a

Nov 24, 2021
Dorset, United Kingdom
Hi guys

Me and my partner are looking to purchase a couple of EMTB's to enjoy some of the lovely off road rides available in and around the Dorset area.

We have a Specialized dealer local, which is a huge pull with regards to ease of servicing.

My question really is, as general newbies, people unlikely to push the bikes to their limits for a long time, how mad do we really need to go to enjoy ourselves? I think my only concern is going OTT on models that we'll never utilise but are paying for.

I have been looking at Turbo Kenovo & Turbo Levo, but more than open to other brands.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
We're recommending these this week :

Ok, so if you're relatively newbies, having a shop you can fall back on with problems, issues or even just when you need help and advice can be priceless. Specialized warranties and support are in theory good, but a lot depends on your dealer as to how accessible that warranty and support can be. There are Exceptional ones, good ones and awful ones. Arguably, this could apply to any brand.

Your next main problem will be supply. You might decide you want bike "X" , but there might be none available in your size/specification.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
I would try hiring before you buy if you can.
Many offer the hire cost off the new bike if you purchase.
I looked at Specialized but opted for Orbea simply due to availability and price to spec.
Stock bikes are now rarer than rocking horse sh*te and it doesn't look like 2023 will be any better, with any stock coming in already accounted for or disappearing as soon as it is advertised.
If you are set on Specialized they also offer SL versions of what you are looking at, which are lower powered but lower lightweight option which might be worth looking at.
Decide on what you are likely to ride and be honest with yourself, do you need a 170mm enduro trail crushing monster.
Most of all, do it, eMTB is the future!

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
A lot depends on your budget and how much you will actually use off-road and the kind of off-road. having said that the Specialized offering are a no brainer for me having owned a trouble free Turbo Levo since July 2019 that has coped with long days out in Scotland 40 miles or more plus climbing and being virtually submerged during local floods. My wife has a Cube Sting which has also been completely trouble free and has very efficient battery used and a long range and was around £3k whereas the TL started off at £7.5k.

L3n9a

Nov 24, 2021
Dorset, United Kingdom
Thanks guys, been doing a lot of reading. The budget isn't so much of a tie, I just don't want to be spending cash on something I'm not going to be utilising.

Definitely going to try out some this weekend (If I can find any in stock)

https://www.komoot.com/smarttour/340208

We are looking to do rides like the one above, I have been suggested Hard tails, rather than full suspension by a family member, would be great to get some other opinions on that.

Cheers all

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Thanks guys, been doing a lot of reading. The budget isn't so much of a tie, I just don't want to be spending cash on something I'm not going to be utilising.

Definitely going to try out some this weekend (If I can find any in stock)

https://www.komoot.com/smarttour/340208

We are looking to do rides like the one above, I have been suggested Hard tails, rather than full suspension by a family member, would be great to get some other opinions on that.

Cheers all
That looks like a route that a hardtail would be suitable for. Full Suss is great if it gets rocky and rough, with some drop offs etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles