Newbie.... just had first demo on an ebike.. surprised how heavy bike is.

DaveNz

Apr 18, 2023
Nee Zealand
Hi... just had first demo of a Specialized Alloy Comp.... I was really surprised how heavy the bike is and it felt like a tank compared to my non ebike.

Are all ebikes like this? After reading all the good reviews of the Levo thought it would be much more lively, but it felt like a dirt bike more than an ebike....

Question.... do the lighter ebikes eg trance elite, levo Sl etc feel better and more like a normal mtb....

I really like the feel of my normal bike but would just like some assistance uphill.....

Any recommendations? I can't demo anything but a Specialized where I am....

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I have had an Orbea Rise and now have a Fuel Exe for this reason. I dislike the dirtbike feeling of the full powered ones.
You get great support up hills but you pay with a bit less fun on the downs IMO.
Midpowered SL ebikes are the happy medium for me.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Hi... just had first demo of a Specialized Alloy Comp.... I was really surprised how heavy the bike is and it felt like a tank compared to my non ebike.

Are all ebikes like this? After reading all the good reviews of the Levo thought it would be much more lively, but it felt like a dirt bike more than an ebike....

Question.... do the lighter ebikes eg trance elite, levo Sl etc feel better and more like a normal mtb....

I really like the feel of my normal bike but would just like some assistance uphill.....

Try switching the motor on 😉😁

DaveNz

Apr 18, 2023
Nee Zealand
I have had an Orbea Rise and now have a Fuel Exe for this reason. I dislike the dirtbike feeling of the full powered ones.
You get great support up hills but you pay with a bit less fun on the downs IMO.
Midpowered SL ebikes are the happy medium for me.
I so wish I could demo a new trance elite....

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Dave, it's called a full fat for a reason . What's your normal bike?

The good news is your specialized dealer is about to be allowed to tell you about the latest generation of levo sl. More torque, allegedly quieter, less antiquated geometry

The bad news is you then have to decide if you'd rather save some $ buying the model that becomes obsolete next week. It's a bit noisy and only doubles your input, but if you can find a carbon still in stock it's " only" 18 kg .... and cheaper.

DaveNz

Apr 18, 2023
Nee Zealand
Dave, it's called a full fat for a reason . What's your normal bike?

The good news is your specialized dealer is about to be allowed to tell you about the latest generation of levo sl. More torque, allegedly quieter, less antiquated geometry

The bad news is you then have to decide if you'd rather save some $ buying the model that becomes obsolete next week. It's a bit noisy and only doubles your input, but if you can find a carbon still in stock it's " only" 18 kg .... and cheaper.
Thanks for info... currently on a 2018 Giant Trance Advance... are the full fat bikes what first came out and now there is starting to be a trend to bikes that are lighter?

Yes, a fully motorized e-mtb is significantly heavier (could be twice as heavy) than analog mtb. Coming from a super light Trek 8000, it was an adjustment for me riding full fat bikes. But look at the advantages from motor and weight: easy shuttling and good grip going up hill, rock-solid stability going down hill (if you have the proper specs), precise steering in muddy conditions, ride feels secure, etc. Ok, not as nimble as an analog bike, but much more fun to ride in my opinion. Overall so many benefits. Once you get hooked, it's hard to go back! ;)

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
What you need is a Kenevo SL, Levo SL or a Scott Lumen Eride.
Those bikes have half the battery (reach and weight), and half the motor (power and weight).

This a better option for a trained mountainbiker that starts to need some extra percentages.

The only disadvantage is that the batteries are not removable on those bikes, that mechanism would have costed 300 grams, but you can use range extension bottles.

Last edited:

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland

You are making the mistake of thinking an ebike is a bike. It’s a completely different type of transport, in a category of its own. You can do many things on an e-bike which are impossible on an analogue bike. Conversely, there are a few things that you can do on a analog bike would you can’t do on an E bike. It’s such a different experience, that many people burst out laughing the first time they ride on the bike uphill, especially a full fat bike. You soon get used to the weight and in terms of stability it’s even an asset. You’ve only got to look on YouTube to see people doing things on e-bikes, specially in the bike parks that are pretty much the equal Of anything that an analogue bike can do. If you’ve got enough money, you can buy a bike only weighs a bit more than an analog bike anyway, but it is still a completely different machine.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia

Was it turned on? Or were you lifting it over gates? You adjust in moments and don't notice on the trail.
At any uphill, you will LOL at this sentiment.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Thanks for info... currently on a 2018 Giant Trance Advance... are the full fat bikes what first came out and now there is starting to be a trend to bikes that are lighter?

Not exactly, back in 2018 the average ebike was closer to a modern mid weight - 500 wh battery, around 75 nm torque, and between 20-22 kg. Then the power / range advertising wars started and they got heavier .(25 kg ish) Around 2020 , some manufacturers started to return to lighter / less powerful / more bike like options, eg the levo sl ( down around 17 kg for the higher end carbon versions, 19 kg for the alloy low spec)

For what it's worth, my daughter rides a 2018 scott genius 940 - so alloy and about 3 kg heavier than your trance , not quite as playful, but reasonably close. I have a 2020 levo sl carbon. I think my levo is about 1.5 kg heavier than her scott , but almost identical geometry. We can swap between bikes down hill and there really isn't much difference. Uphill, the levo sl has just enough power that this fat middle aged cripple can keep up with an 18 yo.... So if you're happy with the trance , and original levo sl or orbea rise might come close to what you like.

If you enjoyed the power hit of the full fat levo, then it might be worth trying a mid power lighter bike - trek exe , perhaps the new levo sl that will be released next week?

Do you have any local places you can hire a lighter ebike? The levo sl was really popular a few years back as a hire bike because it was light enough to be close to a normal bike yet had just enough power that a non ebike rider thought they were getting assistance. Most of those fleets will be getting tired by now, but you might enjoy riding one for a full day?

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Are you close to a Torpedo 7 store? I believe they will let you hire a Trek exe for the day to try. That’s the bike you want if you want light. Personally I would avoid the old Levo SL at all costs given the trek and others are better in every way. The new one might be different though

DaveNz

Apr 18, 2023
Nee Zealand
Not exactly, back in 2018 the average ebike was closer to a modern mid weight - 500 wh battery, around 75 nm torque, and between 20-22 kg. Then the power / range advertising wars started and they got heavier .(25 kg ish) Around 2020 , some manufacturers started to return to lighter / less powerful / more bike like options, eg the levo sl ( down around 17 kg for the higher end carbon versions, 19 kg for the alloy low spec)

For what it's worth, my daughter rides a 2018 scott genius 940 - so alloy and about 3 kg heavier than your trance , not quite as playful, but reasonably close. I have a 2020 levo sl carbon. I think my levo is about 1.5 kg heavier than her scott , but almost identical geometry. We can swap between bikes down hill and there really isn't much difference. Uphill, the levo sl has just enough power that this fat middle aged cripple can keep up with an 18 yo.... So if you're happy with the trance , and original levo sl or orbea rise might come close to what you like.

If you enjoyed the power hit of the full fat levo, then it might be worth trying a mid power lighter bike - trek exe , perhaps the new levo sl that will be released next week?

Do you have any local places you can hire a lighter ebike? The levo sl was really popular a few years back as a hire bike because it was light enough to be close to a normal bike yet had just enough power that a non ebike rider thought they were getting assistance. Most of those fleets will be getting tired by now, but you might enjoy riding one for a full day?
Thanks for the info it's very helpful

DaveNz

Apr 18, 2023
Nee Zealand
Are you close to a Torpedo 7 store? I believe they will let you hire a Trek exe for the day to try. That’s the bike you want if you want light. Personally I would avoid the old Levo SL at all costs given the trek and others are better in every way. The new one might be different though
Hey thanks, yep can get to a torpedo 7, will ask if they hire them. Cheers

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I assume there was a reason you became interested in EMTBs......whatever that reason was probably gives you the biggest guidancee in terms of what type of bike to go for.

I dont necessarilly agree with some of the comments above. I changed to EMTB from analogue 4 years ago. The first and lasting thing that hit me was that mtb became 100% fun as opposed to 10% fun/adrenaline and 90% drudgery. Agreed a lot depends on the sort of terrain you ride and why you ride. I like natural forest gravity runs with drops and jumps.............and I ride for fun. Your priorities may be different.

There is no disguising the weight of an EMTB but for me that is only really noticeable lifting it into my van or onto a repair stand........on the trail its weight is only noticeable on bikes with a high centre of gravity. On anything other than paved surfaces the weight of an EMTB actually makes the suspension work properly and the bike becomes more secure and settled at speed on gnarly terrain.................as opposed to most light analogue bikes which become a handful bouncing a round!! If you ride gnarly terrain you need strong wheels, DD or downhill tyres (heavy), maybe tyre inserts, 36/38 stancion forks, Evol or coil shock etc..............none of that is weight saving!! If you ride manicured trails on bike parks or more mellow trails then you can save weight on those items..................and that, combined with smaller batteries, is where most half fat EMTBs save weight compared to a full fat.

Is EMTB a completely different sport? Yes in some ways. An EMTB ( full fat) can tackle climbs you would not even think a bout trying on an analogue bike..........in fact tackling gnarly climbs becomes as challenging and rewarding as blasting downhill. In terms of other aspects of MTB there is no difference except for the need to learn how to handle the power and speed of an EMTB.

DaveNz

Apr 18, 2023
Nee Zealand
I assume there was a reason you became interested in EMTBs......whatever that reason was probably gives you the biggest guidancee in terms of what type of bike to go for.

I dont necessarilly agree with some of the comments above. I changed to EMTB from analogue 4 years ago. The first and lasting thing that hit me was that mtb became 100% fun as opposed to 10% fun/adrenaline and 90% drudgery. Agreed a lot depends on the sort of terrain you ride and why you ride. I like natural forest gravity runs with drops and jumps.............and I ride for fun. Your priorities may be different.

There is no disguising the weight of an EMTB but for me that is only really noticeable lifting it into my van or onto a repair stand........on the trail its weight is only noticeable on bikes with a high centre of gravity. On anything other than paved surfaces the weight of an EMTB actually makes the suspension work properly and the bike becomes more secure and settled at speed on gnarly terrain.................as opposed to most light analogue bikes which become a handful bouncing a round!! If you ride gnarly terrain you need strong wheels, DD or downhill tyres (heavy), maybe tyre inserts, 36/38 stancion forks, Evol or coil shock etc..............none of that is weight saving!! If you ride manicured trails on bike parks or more mellow trails then you can save weight on those items..................and that, combined with smaller batteries, is where most half fat EMTBs save weight compared to a full fat.

Is EMTB a completely different sport? Yes in some ways. An EMTB ( full fat) can tackle climbs you would not even think a bout trying on an analogue bike..........in fact tackling gnarly climbs becomes as challenging and rewarding as blasting downhill. In terms of other aspects of MTB there is no difference except for the need to learn how to handle the power and speed of an EMTB.
Cheers, that's great information. I guess I ride mostly at moment groomed trails after long climbs.... a few kickers and drops and jumps but nothing gnarly. I really do mtb as love tge fitness part of it, but enjoy the flow when riding downhill, a but like on a snowboard or surfboard... Im not the one doing crazy turns or jumps but more the guy just liking the experience of being out in nature, having a good time and burning some calories so I can have a few beers afterwards. Hence why thoughts are stuck between a full mtb like the Levo Comp Carbon or the new Trance Elite... I do like what you said about being more stable on a full mtb.

Reactions: Dax

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Assuming you are reasonably fit you may well then find a half fat EMTB meets your needs...................or if you end up going for a full fat bike, one that is more trail oriented rather than enduro focussed sounds like it would suit. A trail oriented bike would typically be 150mm fork travel and 64/65 head angle, air shock ( no piggy back), 29er lighter grade tyres ( e.g. Maxxis EXO or EXO+).

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Cheers, that's great information. I guess I ride mostly at moment groomed trails after long climbs.... a few kickers and drops and jumps but nothing gnarly. I really do mtb as love tge fitness part of it, but enjoy the flow when riding downhill, a but like on a snowboard or surfboard... Im not the one doing crazy turns or jumps but more the guy just liking the experience of being out in nature, having a good time and burning some calories so I can have a few beers afterwards. Hence why thoughts are stuck between a full mtb like the Levo Comp Carbon or the new Trance Elite... I do like what you said about being more stable on a full mtb.

Get yourself a ride on the trek exe , it's nice and quiet, more punchy down low than an old levo sl and at least as capable down hill as your old trance. The one I rode felt really nice, although it seemed to chew through battery a lot quicker than my levo sl on the same terrain- ie I'd probably need a range extender which adds even more weight, whilst I rarely need one on my levo sl.

For what it's worth, my first emtb was a 2018 giant , I've still got it but rarely ride it. I wouldn't buy another giant emtb because the warranty is not transferable , nor do they offer a rolling warranty - ie if you sell it after a week, no warranty. Warranty the motor at 2 years, no warranty on that new motor. I also find the motor intrusive and rubbery - sure, there's heaps of grunt and it'll get me up anything, but it feels like the motor continues on slightly after I stop. ( not as bad as a bosch, but still unnatural) I really enjoy riding technical uphills - rocky stuff that I'm not good enough to tackle on a regular bike. The giant crashes through it whilst the old levonsl slices through.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Even a Trek Fuel EXe, Giant Elite or upcoming, new Levo SL will feel heavy compared to a regular bike (roughly 10 lbs heavier) but may be light enough for the balance of power to weight for you.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
It does take months to get used to riding a full power ebike. Once you get used to it you won't go back as you smash past all the analog riders on the trail!

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
My Orbea Urrun is supposed to weigh 20kg, it feels a lot heavier than my main analogue bike but that is an old Orange G3 with some light bits and weighs 13kg on 26" wheels. The other major difference is the physical size of the thing, 29" wheels and a frame that feels huge compared to the light compact G3, plus modern relaxed geometry, 65.5º on the Urrun, 71º on the G3 would make the G3 much more agile before you add the weight and size of the Urrun. So, it's a completely different experience and I would have loved to have built a bike with the battery and motor off an Urrun but with the size and geometry of the Orange but you can't buy a frame like that.

The other issue is that manufacturers of eMTBs feel the need to over engineer everything so all the components are heavier than on an analogue bike. The extra 7kg is 33% of the weight of the Urrun but only 7% of the weight of me plus the bike. The battery and motor add about 5.6kg, the frame weighs 2.7kg which is about 1kg more than the G3 (though TBF it is bigger).

That said I really like the Urrun, it's a compromise in terms of agility but it lets me ride trails I used to pedal up 20+ years ago which I would not attempt these days. I bought the lightest eMTB I could afford but if I did it again I'd look for 27.5" wheels and a steeper 'cross country' style frame if such a thing exists.

Frankie_r

Oct 18, 2021
Italy

I tried my first e-bike in 2018; after that moment, I didn’t wanted to touch an e-bike again until the mid power, light models came out. Weight sucks.

Now I have a carbon Rise. Uphill it’s much better than an analogue bike of course, but in the downs I still miss the lightness of a traditional mtb…

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah, they are heavier. You wont get an ebike that rides the same as your mountain bike. Light e-bikes still weighs more than my DH bike.

You just need to mentally prepare yourself for more weight. Ride the E-bike like you stole it and take advantage of its advantages and then when you hop back on the mountain bike you will be like woohoo, this thing is light!.

Personally i would avoid light weight low power e-bikes like the specialises SL series. The power is too low and the batteries too small. Look at the newer mid power 50-60nm bikes with batteries in the 400-500wh range. They get you 3/4 the way to a full power e-bike, still light ish (20kg or less) and the batteries last a reasonably length of time.

Orbea Rise is a good one to look at. For the riding you explain it would be a good option.

On a side note. If your group of mates is converting to E. If they convert to full power E you will be left in the dust if you go low or mid power.

Or if you cant rationalise the weight and enjoy pedalling for fitness then just keep pedalling.

DaveNz

Apr 18, 2023
Nee Zealand
Yeah, they are heavier. You wont get an ebike that rides the same as your mountain bike. Light e-bikes still weighs more than my DH bike.

You just need to mentally prepare yourself for more weight. Ride the E-bike like you stole it and take advantage of its advantages and then when you hop back on the mountain bike you will be like woohoo, this thing is light!.

Personally i would avoid light weight low power e-bikes like the specialises SL series. The power is too low and the batteries too small. Look at the newer mid power 50-60nm bikes with batteries in the 400-500wh range. They get you 3/4 the way to a full power e-bike, still light ish (20kg or less) and the batteries last a reasonably length of time.

Orbea Rise is a good one to look at. For the riding you explain it would be a good option.

On a side note. If your group of mates is converting to E. If they convert to full power E you will be left in the dust if you go low or mid power.

Or if you cant rationalise the weight and enjoy pedalling for fitness then just keep pedalling.
I see the new Giant Elite has 85nm? I also have seen somewhere that you can adjust the Orbea to more nm? As its the same motor as a full powered ebike?

eMtb tours

Mar 3, 2023
Ventura Ca
I have a Yamaha never hear it so that’s not an issue but yeah it takes a little while to get used to the weight but I think the trade off is worth it.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I see the new Giant Elite has 85nm? I also have seen somewhere that you can adjust the Orbea to more nm? As its the same motor as a full powered ebike?
Probably. Where are you in NZ? My advice. Ride more e-bikes. Maybe hire some have head into the forest or do proper demo's. If not available in your town then go on a roady. Get some time the bikes before committing.

You may change your opinion of what you want. I started off wanting light weight and have done a full swing to pretty much wanting a DH E-Bike. I'm not saying that is you.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Probably. Where are you in NZ? My advice. Ride more e-bikes. Maybe hire some have head into the forest or do proper demo's. If not available in your town then go on a roady. Get some time the bikes before committing.

You may change your opinion of what you want. I started off wanting light weight and have done a full swing to pretty much wanting a DH E-Bike. I'm not saying that is you.
This is so true. The newest member to convert to to our ebike group is like the rest of us a long time mountain biker with a full stable of quality analog bikes including a 140 travel trail bike a 170 enduro bike a full downhill bike. His comment after just a few weeks on his well specced full ebike is that the E is a better bike for all 3 disciplines and really doesn't see himself using anything else

Last edited:

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019

Have you ridden the bikes you are commenting on? "400-500 w RANGE " indicates to me you haven't. I get further on my sl's 320 wh battery than I ever did on my giants 500 wh , and when riding with ff mates on their 600 ish wh shimano bikes they run out before me !( A fit rider gets even better results.) It's a much more efficient bike to ride , with more to it than just cadence / having to be in the right gear instead of getting lazy and lugging - the lighter / better handling bike allows me to hit things harder so I maintain momentum. On most trails, I climb at the same speed ( except on boring steep straight roads where I'm about 25% slower) - admittedly I'll be hitting the corners harder and looking for efficiency whilst my full power mates would be cruising along and relying on the motor to make up for sloppy technique.

I'm still tempted by next weeks 50 nm new sl, perhaps a trek exe , but I'm likely to keep the old lsl and sink the $ saved into eg lighter wheels- it's got enough power , handles well enough for me, and I can almost live with the whine from the motor....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles