Newbie from Auckland, New Zealand

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hey there, not an emtb rider........yet!

Enjoying reading the forums, doing the research and soaking up the information. In NZ due to Covid seems we have a bit of a shortage of emtb stock (in a size L anyway) from talking to some LBSs. Seems prior to Covid lock down and then after lock down bikes were flying out the door. Also looks like new 2021 model prices have increased a bit over the 2020 models, darn it. Might need to ask the home office for forgiveness rather than beg for permission when I pull the trigger and single handedly reboot the NZ economy.

Look forward to conversing,

Cheers DW.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hey Philly G,

I think it's really cool that biking is having a bit of a resurgence and it's good that people who wouldn't normally be riding are buying ebikes.

BTW, I am also a Mainlander - grew up top of the south still get back down for family stuff. Part of the reason for buying an e-mtb is the fact that I did Tour Aotearoa in Feb/Mar (beating lock down by a week) and have booked to take the car down on the ferry and most likely with a new emtb (which the wife will use mainly on this trip) and I will probably ride my gravel bike (unless I upgrade it to something with suspension). There is easily 4 portions of TA rides I want to revisit including the west coast wilderness trail (wife will love it). Braeburn track, Maria saddle, Nelson grape ride towards Nelson Lakes (easier stuff for the boss). Helps justify buying it too with her needing an ebike to keep up (No need to rent one of course).

The bike decision is a real tough one for sure. Like the look of the Trek Rails and the spec of the 9s, also had a look at the Specialized Levo Turbos in the weekend - but unsure about the motor situation. Stumbled across the Scott Carbon tuned (not sure on the price tag either cough,cough) last night and popped into LBS today to see when stock was due (September which is fine). I like the ability of the Scott for the dual battery range as I'm not sure about carrying a battery in my backpack etc but will probably change my mind three times I'm sure. I'm probably more into point to point rather than loops I think.

What part of the fantastic south island do you reside and from your profile pic are you on a Trek...?

Cheers DW.

Sorry for the long winded reply!

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hey DW,
Yes it is cool biking is having a resurgence, seems like it's because of covid? I think a lot of people dug their old bikes out of the shed during lockdown, we had weeks of beautiful weather, it's like people rediscovered biking and decided to upgrade their old treadlys, maybe realised they perhaps weren't as fit as they once were and jumped on the eeb train!
Wow respect for doing the TA, yeah there must have been some really epic sections of that ride, good on you for coming back down to revisit some of it, as you say your wife will love it!
Choosing a bike is never easy, yeah I'm on a Rail 7, my accoustic is a Remedy, I'm not intentionally brand loyal, but Treks do seem to be aggressively marketed in NZ and hard to go past for sheer bang for buck. I did want the Bosch system too. I actually think the 7 is a better bet than the 8, since the 7 has Shimano 12 speed whereas the 8 has the cheaper Sram on the weaker Shimano HG freehub body...don't know tooo much about Scotts but my perception is they're very good quality, some innovative features but with a price tag to match...Specialized I have always seen as the Apple of MTB...they just seem overpriced to me, and it does seem people have had a lot of trouble with the motors, to the point of giving up and buying another brand. But I'm sure whatever you choose you'll love it!
I am Chch born and bred but live just nw of Rangiora in the shadow of Mount Grey...I have local trails in the Ashley Forest, otherwise not too big of a hike to the Port Hills or even Hanmer..it's a pretty awesome back yard but you can say that about anywhere in Aotearoa really, we are lucky to live under the long white cloud. Where do you like to ride around the Auckland region? ;) ?
I should add that pre-covid I was not planning to get the e, although I was thinking I would get one sooner or later. I did ride during lockdown but couldn't ride any downhill, when I got back into it I was just dying on the climbs, seemed to have lost a lot of strength and fitness, and just wasn't loving it anymore. Getting older I guess too. So a difficult decision, but getting a e was for me a way to keep riding and rediscover my enjoyment of it, no regrets

Last edited:

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Porirua checking in.

I like to mooch around my local Torpedo7 and they honestly look like they've been ram-raided. Most of the bike racks are empty.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
Porirua checking in.

I like to mooch around my local Torpedo7 and they honestly look like they've been ram-raided. Most of the bike racks are empty.

Good to hear from you Porirua - Iived/worked in Lower Hutt for approx 20 years married a local girl - we still own a house in Paremata after moving to the Akl 5 years ago. Now about that weather (enough already)....I hear you have had some lovely days this week. Popped into a Torpedo 7 today and you are not wrong for sure. I think they had about 4 ebikes (mtbs) two giants and a couple of powerflys, I was like sheez, might be playing the long game.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Porirua checking in.

Good to see so many Kiwis on this forum! I think a few bike shops round the country will be similarly empty as your local T7

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hey DW,
Yes it is cool biking is having a resurgence, seems like it's because of covid? I think a lot of people dug their old bikes out of the shed during lockdown, we had weeks of beautiful weather, it's like people rediscovered biking and decided to upgrade their old treadlys, maybe realised they perhaps weren't as fit as they once were and jumped on the eeb train!
Wow respect for doing the TA, yeah there must have been some really epic sections of that ride, good on you for coming back down to revisit some of it, as you say your wife will love it!
Choosing a bike is never easy, yeah I'm on a Rail 7, my accoustic is a Remedy, I'm not intentionally brand loyal, but Treks do seem to be aggressively marketed in NZ and hard to go past for sheer bang for buck. I did want the Bosch system too. I actually think the 7 is a better bet than the 8, since the 7 has Shimano 12 speed whereas the 8 has the cheaper Sram on the weaker Shimano HG freehub body...don't know tooo much about Scotts but my perception is they're very good quality, some innovative features but with a price tag to match...Specialized I have always seen as the Apple of MTB...they just seem overpriced to me, and it does seem people have had a lot of trouble with the motors, to the point of giving up and buying another brand. But I'm sure whatever you choose you'll love it!
I am Chch born and bred but live just nw of Rangiora in the shadow of Mount Grey...I have local trails in the Ashley Forest, otherwise not too big of a hike to the Port Hills or even Hanmer..it's a pretty awesome back yard but you can say that about anywhere in Aotearoa really, we are lucky to live under the long white cloud. Where do you like to ride around the Auckland region? ;) ?
I should add that pre-covid I was not planning to get the e, although I was thinking I would get one sooner or later. I did ride during lockdown but couldn't ride any downhill, when I got back into it I was just dying on the climbs, seemed to have lost a lot of strength and fitness, and just wasn't loving it anymore. Getting older I guess too. So a difficult decision, but getting a e was for me a way to keep riding and rediscover my enjoyment of it, no regrets

Hanmer has the trails in the forest too which I rode years ago! Also I remember the Ashley forest rally sprints on TV (back in the day) - we are super lucky for sure. What sparked my interest in ebikes was a new guy at work raving about them, he knew I was into acoustic biking, I think he is keen to grow the tribe. From that I started thing (here we go) and I'm just keen to ride more. When we have traveled overseas in the past we have always rented an acoustic for me and an e bike for my wife. Part of that was also training for me but I could see how the flasher e -mtbs are next level compared to the rental stuff. Also talking to my brother in law (Nelson based) last weekend he has also just brought a trek 5 (I think). It's funny regarding bikes you can pay some serious coin and just get some pretty average components which is kind of hard to reconcile at times (for me anyway). In Auckland I haven't done any mountain biking (I don't even own a mountain bike at this point - just a 2020 Giant Revolt gravel and a Giant TCR road bike (10 years old maybe) - we live close to Western Springs (right near the zoo, Speedway/concert) so to ride trails you need to head approx 20km west where there is the riverhead forest and woodhill forests bikepark which is further out again I think. Up here I have done a bit of road biking and head out west to climb hills for fitness. So I will either take or ride my bike to the forest etc I'm thinking. Good on you for getting back into biking btw and pleased you don't regret it - whatever you spend you got to justify to yourself etc, but the payback is the fun factor. I ran into a lot of people doing ebike tours on certain parts of the TA and they were having a blast just on quiet back roads - Pipiriki to Whanganui following the river for example. Happy days for sure.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
F..ing Kiwis! They are everywhere!
Welcome from me too!
Sounds like a fun plan. I'm enjoying my ebike here in Europe. Did nice tour on the Swiss German border last night after work with a colleague I have converted ;-)

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
F..ing Kiwis! They are everywhere!
Welcome from me too!
Sounds like a fun plan. I'm enjoying my ebike here in Europe. Did nice tour on the Swiss German border last night after work with a colleague I have converted ;-)
I know right and thanks for the welcome. Sounds like you are living the dream! Few Aussies on here too by the looks.

Cheers D.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Porirua checking in.

Pretty much everybody is sold out of L & M. A few ladies bikes and smalls around but that is about it. Talking to several of my pushers ... yup, they are just like drug dealers - 2021 bikes are about $1000 up over 2020 right across the range.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I know right and thanks for the welcome. Sounds like you are living the dream! Few Aussies on here too by the looks.

Cheers D.
I must admit that here is an eMTB paradise. There are thousands of places I can go biking. Most weekends I do a trip somewhere. Often about an hour in the car gets me into the foothills of the alps. Where I live is relatively flat, but I have trails I can ride on my doorstep.
I am currently planning my second transAlp. which will go from Germany over the Dolimites to lake Garda. 8 days and 17000 vertical should challenge the bike and my fitness.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
Pretty much everybody is sold out of L & M. A few ladies bikes and smalls around but that is about it. Talking to several of my pushers ... yup, they are just like drug dealers - 2021 bikes are about $1000 up over 2020 right across the range.
Hi Rusty,
I have been told the same thing thing - add 1k particularly for the high end/carbon models etc.

If I recall rightly and I think you brought/did a review on a Scott Carbon tuned, which got my mind thinking and the blood pumping!

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
I must admit that here is an eMTB paradise. There are thousands of places I can go biking. Most weekends I do a trip somewhere. Often about an hour in the car gets me into the foothills of the alps. Where I live is relatively flat, but I have trails I can ride on my doorstep.
I am currently planning my second transAlp. which will go from Germany over the Dolimites to lake Garda. 8 days and 17000 vertical should challenge the bike and my fitness.
That sounds epic and fantastic, would you rely on one battery and charging stops or would you roll with two batteries?

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I've seen Woodhill bike park on YouTube I think, (Best Day Ever MTB) looks like an awesome place to ride, nothing wrong with some road biking though, it's all cycling, it's all good, and you can still enjoy the views. Yeah Hanmer is great, a lot of it is similar sort of riding to the Ashley Forest. The Rally Sprint is still at Ashley, some of our trails are right next to where it's run, all our trails are in the first 1-2km of forest, because the club volunteers have to hike in with tools and dig the trails by hand. Yes hard for me too, to get my head around some of the more expensive bikes that come with really average components, it's hard to imagine a frame being so good that it's twice the money but comes with lower spec components. Like your workmate raving about eMTB, everyone who has one is stoked on them, but there's some funny attitudes about ebikes for sure, maybe especially so here in NZ with the traditonal myth of macho Kiwi masculinity. One 65 yr old guy at my work, very fit, super keen mtber, would say to me if he ever got to the point where he needed an ebike he'd give up cycling. I thought what's the point in that, talk about cutting of your nose despite your face :rolleyes:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
That sounds epic and fantastic, would you rely on one battery and charging stops or would you roll with two batteries?
1 battery and charging stops.
Last year I did a transalp with the 500Wh battery.This year the bike has a 625Wh batery and I also bought the Bosch 6A Fast charger, so you can add more to your battery in a shorter time. I figured I need that as we are doing a lot more vertical per day this year. An extra battery on your back is a pain in the Bum, as the extra weight ends up there. :D:LOL:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Oh, by the way!from my experience your first eMTB is about double as expensive as you plann.
You buy one, and then your Partner/ wife also needs one.

I made the very very stupid mistake of letting my wife try my new eMTB when I just got it. (How could anyone be so stupid!) sooooooooo I had to buy a second one!

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
1 battery and charging stops.
Last year I did a transalp with the 500Wh battery.This year the bike has a 625Wh batery and I also bought the Bosch 6A Fast charger, so you can add more to your battery in a shorter time. I figured I need that as we are doing a lot more vertical per day this year. An extra battery on your back is a pain in the Bum, as the extra weight ends up there. :D:LOL:
Nice, I guess you probably need just to charge up at any opportunity. I hear you re: the pain in the butt - gotta look after it on long rides, you don't want issues down there.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
Oh, by the way!from my experience your first eMTB is about double as expensive as you plann.
You buy one, and then your Partner/ wife also needs one.

I made the very very stupid mistake of letting my wife try my new eMTB when I just got it. (How could anyone be so stupid!) sooooooooo I had to buy a second one!
Good call, currently I will be happy to ride an acoustic on some of the tour/sight seeing rides with my wife as she will enjoy "my" or will it be "our" ebike as luckily we are a similar height. That may not last for long.......the other issue is the bike I will pick will be quite "aggressive" compared to the style of bike she prefers. I feel if I went with what I currently like it would feel like I'm spending enough for two bikes as it is. Might need to change my mindset.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
I've seen Woodhill bike park on YouTube I think, (Best Day Ever MTB) looks like an awesome place to ride, nothing wrong with some road biking though, it's all cycling, it's all good, and you can still enjoy the views. Yeah Hanmer is great, a lot of it is similar sort of riding to the Ashley Forest. The Rally Sprint is still at Ashley, some of our trails are right next to where it's run, all our trails are in the first 1-2km of forest, because the club volunteers have to hike in with tools and dig the trails by hand. Yes hard for me too, to get my head around some of the more expensive bikes that come with really average components, it's hard to imagine a frame being so good that it's twice the money but comes with lower spec components. Like your workmate raving about eMTB, everyone who has one is stoked on them, but there's some funny attitudes about ebikes for sure, maybe especially so here in NZ with the traditonal myth of macho Kiwi masculinity. One 65 yr old guy at my work, very fit, super keen mtber, would say to me if he ever got to the point where he needed an ebike he'd give up cycling. I thought what's the point in that, talk about cutting of your nose despite your face :rolleyes:
I'm keen to check out Woodhill when I take the plunge, seems to be my workmates go to area. The motorway out west has the cyclepath along side and when I'm on the roadie/gravel on the cyclepath the amount of cars with mtbs on racks heading west is quite high so seems popular. Funny re: your workmate, seems most people who try ebikes the reverse is happening.they are getting back into it. I rely on reviews on bikes to give me an idea on what I want to aim for and in particular crap componants as I'm way out of touch on mtb stuff. Was reading the other night about an e with brakes that were so bad they would be bad on a mtb let alone an emtb. You shouldn't have to upgrade those from a safety perspective straight out of the box. I get it if you have a certain type of riding in mind and want to upgrade to suit. Ongoing research.....bring it!

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Good to hear from you Porirua - Iived/worked in Lower Hutt for approx 20 years married a local girl - we still own a house in Paremata after moving to the Akl 5 years ago. Now about that weather (enough already)....I hear you have had some lovely days this week. Popped into a Torpedo 7 today and you are not wrong for sure. I think they had about 4 ebikes (mtbs) two giants and a couple of powerflys, I was like sheez, might be playing the long game.

The weather has been mint for the most part this winter. Cold and clear.

I was in T7 pre-COVID and the mechanic had a Giant Reign E+ in the stand. I asked if they sold many and he said they were flying out the door. I guess with lockdown everyone then got the biking bug and now they can’t restock.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
The weather has been mint for the most part this winter. Cold and clear.

I was in T7 pre-COVID and the mechanic had a Giant Reign E+ in the stand. I asked if they sold many and he said they were flying out the door. I guess with lockdown everyone then got the biking bug and now they can’t restock.
4 sure, I guess NZ being a little isolated is very good in the current situation but also means long lead times, that coupled with the fact NZ wouldn't carry a huge amount of e mtb stock compared to other countries. Fun doing the research.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Hi Rusty,
I have been told the same thing thing - add 1k particularly for the high end/carbon models etc.

If I recall rightly and I think you brought/did a review on a Scott Carbon tuned, which got my mind thinking and the blood pumping!
Yup. Recuperation is coming along well so will be back on it in a week or so. Can't wait for a few road trips - Tokoroa, Taupo, Rotorua the first 3.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Good call, currently I will be happy to ride an acoustic on some of the tour/sight seeing rides with my wife as she will enjoy "my" or will it be "our" ebike as luckily we are a similar height. That may not last for long.......the other issue is the bike I will pick will be quite "aggressive" compared to the style of bike she prefers. I feel if I went with what I currently like it would feel like I'm spending enough for two bikes as it is. Might need to change my mindset.
or play lotto.
I didn't add that it was the best thing I have done. We used to almost never go biking together as I like it steep, rough far, and my wife takes things a bit more relaxed. Since she has an eMTB we have spent a load more time together and done loads of rides. She can ride up surprisingly steep slopes in Turbo, and if I want a workout, I dial the power down or turn it off. It is great for getting out and doing things together. also her biking skills have improved. She finds the best thing after the motor is a dropper post. If things get a bit rough, she can drop it and easily get both feet on the ground.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
or play lotto.
I didn't add that it was the best thing I have done. We used to almost never go biking together as I like it steep, rough far, and my wife takes things a bit more relaxed. Since she has an eMTB we have spent a load more time together and done loads of rides. She can ride up surprisingly steep slopes in Turbo, and if I want a workout, I dial the power down or turn it off. It is great for getting out and doing things together. also her biking skills have improved. She finds the best thing after the motor is a dropper post. If things get a bit rough, she can drop it and easily get both feet on the ground.
Good call - friends who play together stay together so to speak and great tip on the seat dropper.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I'm keen to check out Woodhill when I take the plunge, seems to be my workmates go to area. The motorway out west has the cyclepath along side and when I'm on the roadie/gravel on the cyclepath the amount of cars with mtbs on racks heading west is quite high so seems popular. Funny re: your workmate, seems most people who try ebikes the reverse is happening.they are getting back into it. I rely on reviews on bikes to give me an idea on what I want to aim for and in particular crap componants as I'm way out of touch on mtb stuff. Was reading the other night about an e with brakes that were so bad they would be bad on a mtb let alone an emtb. You shouldn't have to upgrade those from a safety perspective straight out of the box. I get it if you have a certain type of riding in mind and want to upgrade to suit. Ongoing research.....bring it!
Yes research is always the fun part for me as well when it comes to buying anything MTB. I read/watch reviews, look on forums, really delve in, make a short list, pros/cons. Geeky but fun. For me, with eMTBs being so expensive I set a budget first, then just looked for the best I could find for that money, knowing already what motor/battery system I wanted, then just looking for the best frame I could afford with that motor, trying at the same time to get half decent suspension as well since that's a costly component. You do want reasonable brakes and drivetrain out of the box, but these components wear out (not so much the brakes I guess), so it's easy enough to just upgrade them at the end of their lifespan. One thing with Trek is the Bontrager wheels are kinda made of cheese, so for serious off-road it's a fair bet you'll need to factor in buying a decent wheelset at some point.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
Yes research is always the fun part for me as well when it comes to buying anything MTB. I read/watch reviews, look on forums, really delve in, make a short list, pros/cons. Geeky but fun. For me, with eMTBs being so expensive I set a budget first, then just looked for the best I could find for that money, knowing already what motor/battery system I wanted, then just looking for the best frame I could afford with that motor, trying at the same time to get half decent suspension as well since that's a costly component. You do want reasonable brakes and drivetrain out of the box, but these components wear out (not so much the brakes I guess), so it's easy enough to just upgrade them at the end of their lifespan. One thing with Trek is the Bontrager wheels are kinda made of cheese, so for serious off-road it's a fair bet you'll need to factor in buying a decent wheelset at some point.

Yeah nice, my eyes keep getting bigger so then I keep increasing the budget. I'll take a razer to it at some point I'm sure. Based on your pros/cons list idea in the weekend I'll make a list of must haves and nice to haves and see how that looks. Thanks Philly!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Well well well look who it is... lil bro in law :geek: It's a small world.
As discussed I got the Rail 7. I did a lot of research over covid & was keen on the Giant Reign. As I'm a tight arse I've found Giant are always best value for money & I've enjoyed owning them however all the reviews pointed me towards the Trek Rail.It was the longer rear chainstays on the Yamaha motor that worried me. Further research & budget led me to the 7 as the yari had a good review & can be easily & cheaply upgraded with internals to Lyrik standard. I'm not worried about drivelines etc. I was also tossing up between the 29 & staying with the 27.5 as our tracks are very tight & off camber.
It took one ride on a hired Rail 7 from T7 to sell me - as a bike geometry wise they are on point - nimble around corners & Jeez when you give it a bit of jandal downhill they perform even better. They were on sale for $7300 over covid but I got mine for $7 queens birthday sale. I don't think they will be on sale much as they are so popular they've only just arrived they're already flying off the shelves.
It seems every little while a bike comes out that stands out - think of the accoustic Reigns from a few years ago, Santa cruz Bronsons, etc I would put the Rail in with those bikes.
However in saying that, I think given your taste in vehicles you may want to get something a bit more exotic. I know for a fact your beautiful wife wouldn't give a rats arse how much you spent on a bike ?Also I'm not sure if the tracks in Auckland warrant a grunter of a bike. I'm wondering if a Levo would be better? Although on this site the amount of faulty spesh motors is incredible I haven't really heard about that many in NZ.
B is borrowing my accoustic Trance to try out as we think he may have bought a bike under suspended for our tracks.
Say Hi to L

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
Crayfish I wondered whether you would be knocking around on here - your user name threw me!! What size trek are you riding a L? I did like the look of the Trek 9.8 but no larges in NZ and the 2021s will have another 1k added. Popped into three bike shops today for some recon and some chats and one of them had a real weapon which would suit the bike park and all day riding (be more than I never need). This threw me a curve ball as it wasn't a model I was looking at (I've done a lot more reading/research this afternoon) and the spec is really good. You know me really well - probably overkill. Price tag was northwards too but they going to crunch some numbers. Need to do a little more reading on some stuff. L was shopping down the road while I was looking and had sent me a pic of something she found, I sent her a quick pic of what I had found, think mine took the cake. When we got home I showed her the UK price (when the bike I saw first came out )and I did the currency conversion, that gave her a little surpise o_OWhen I first started looking I was having a really good look at the Levos, but I just wasn't that sure on the motor issues. I know from March 20 they are meant to be sorted but when there is doubt etc and let's face it whatever you drop for these emtbs things it's pretty serious coin and you don't need the inconvenience.Hope B can sort his bike - what travel has it got? L says a big Hi!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles