New RS Gen 2 MC Firmware … available for older models?

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Anyone heard yet whether the new firmware will be available for the older models?

I removed the torque/power limit already (via emax), but looking for a Shimano- or Orbea-sanctioned solution.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Anyone heard yet whether the new firmware will be available for the older models?

I removed the torque/power limit already (via emax), but looking for a Shimano- or Orbea-sanctioned solution.
If you've already juiced the motor up having a "sanctioned solution" wouldn't really matter. You won't have any warranty on the motor either way.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
If you've already juiced the motor up having a "sanctioned solution" wouldn't really matter. You won't have any warranty on the motor either way

The motor isn‘t juiced, nor is it hacked (it‘s the stock, unmodified firmware). The EP801-RS and EP-801 are the same motor. There may be some subtleties in the power delivery between RS FW and non-RS FW but I don‘t have an out-of-the-box full-fat EP801 to compare it to. And I’m reading on this forum that owners have had LBS lift the software governor (turning the RS into full-fat EP801) with Shimano’s blessing. It’s a readily-accessible software switch that’s reversible.

Orbea sells two effectively identical bikes - Urrun and Kemen SUV - the former is RS-limited, the latter is full-fat, former is a marketed as HT trail bike, the latter is marketed as an urban/commuter with fenders, rack, lights, kickstand. Same frame, same battery, same range-extender, different gearing (11-46tx32t vs 11-43tx36t) and travel (120mm vs 100mm).

Cheers

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
The motor isn‘t juiced, nor is it hacked (it‘s the stock, unmodified firmware). The EP801-RS and EP-801 are the same motor. There may be some subtleties in the power delivery between RS FW and non-RS FW but I don‘t have an out-of-the-box full-fat EP801 to compare it to. And I’m reading on this forum that owners have had LBS lift the software governor (turning the RS into full-fat EP801) with Shimano’s blessing. It’s a readily-accessible software switch that’s reversible.

Orbea sells two effectively identical bikes - Urrun and Kemen SUV - the former is RS-limited, the latter is full-fat, former is a marketed as HT trail bike, the latter is marketed as an urban/commuter with fenders, rack, lights, kickstand. Same frame, same battery, same range-extender, different gearing (11-46tx32t vs 11-43tx36t) and travel (120mm vs 100mm).

Cheers
I sell Orbea’s, I’m aware of this already. Sorry are you asking whether or not the new updates will working the an older EP8 motor?

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I sell Orbea’s, I’m aware of this already. Sorry are you asking whether or not the new updates will working the an older EP8 motor?

[edit: I just realized in original post I didn’t specify I had the EP801-RS gen 1 - doh!]

Ah, cool, I love the Urrun! In May I ordered the last ‘23 Urrun 30 they had, took delivery in June, and have been on my Rail just once since then. It’s a good all’rounder, exactly what I was looking for to complement my Rail.

I installed a dropper - routing and fitting the cable housing was a challenge, but had done more or less the same with my Rail - replaced the 32t chainring with a 36t, and am giving the CUES U8000 drive train a try - 36t x 11-50t gives pretty much the same low-gear ratio and a bit more on the high end as the stock 32t x 11-46t.

Anyway, curious if the newly-announced (I didn’t see it on the Orbea website a couple weeks back) EP801-RS Gen 2 firmware will be available for EP801-RS Gen 1. I see there’s a new 630wh battery (I impressed they got 540wh) as well as a new-gen range extender, so I suppose Orbea/Shimano would need to have provided support for the older/smaller batteries in the new firmware.

Cheers,

Last edited:

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I didn’t get quite the straight “yes” answer out of Orbea when I asked whether the RS GEN 2 MC firmware can be installed on the first gen RS bikes (Rise, Urrun, … ?), though their response was effectively “yes”:

“This firmware update you are referring to can only be performed by an authorized Orbea/Shimano dealer by connecting the bike to Etube Professional with the Shimano SM-PCE02 tool. So if you are interested in upgrading, we recommend that you contact one of these distributors.”

RS GEN 2 MC firmware opens up the torque to the full 85nm and presumably more max power … 500w? 600w?

What‘s not clear to me is whether the update is simply the new 4.3.0 firmware, currently eTube Pro and a PCE02 (which I have) with a eTube Project image due out in the Fall, or an Orbea-specific image. I guess asking my LBS might yield the answer, but wondering if @jbrown15 might know?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Todor

Jul 16, 2024
Malta
I think it is included in 4.3.0.
I have the new Rise and I went to the dealer to get the software installed. I have the latest 4.3.0 now but the setting is still not available for me.
This function is marked with asterisk that it will be available with the next version of the android app. (that is still unavailable).
Fingers crossed it will be available this week.

1721169521276.png

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I didn’t get quite the straight “yes” answer out of Orbea when I asked whether the RS GEN 2 MC firmware can be installed on the first gen RS bikes (Rise, Urrun, … ?), though their response was effectively “yes”:

“This firmware update you are referring to can only be performed by an authorized Orbea/Shimano dealer by connecting the bike to Etube Professional with the Shimano SM-PCE02 tool. So if you are interested in upgrading, we recommend that you contact one of these distributors.”

RS GEN 2 MC firmware opens up the torque to the full 85nm and presumably more max power … 500w? 600w?

What‘s not clear to me is whether the update is simply the new 4.3.0 firmware, currently eTube Pro and a PCE02 (which I have) with a eTube Project image due out in the Fall, or an Orbea-specific image. I guess asking my LBS might yield the answer, but wondering if @jbrown15 might know?

Cheers,

Honestly, I haven't updated any of the new Rises with the EP801 motors yet. But I don't see why it wouldn't work after looking at Orbea's response.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles