New rider from Germany: cube or focus?

SenditOTB

Oct 12, 2020
Germany
Hey guys, just got approved to this forum and am amazed by the amount of content on here!

So, lets go: I got into mountainbiking earlier this year and got myself a cube reaction c62 to kinda “test it“. Loving it and am incredibly happy with this bike, such a fun machine. Always loved biking, just never crossed my mind to do it on mountains. Even better!
My probably-to-be father in law got a couple eMTBs and me hooked on the whole thing. Rode his 2020 cube stereohybrid 140 AT, incredible! Such a fun. achine, however, the travel felt a little limitating and I am not sure, if the cube geometry is best suited for me on „rougher“ terrain.
I got a reservation (february to march, ish) on the 2021 Version of the 140 but I also felt like I might want something a little less conservative, also some more travel. Obviously, there is the stereo hybrid 160, but I am not a huge fan of the 27.5 wheels, especially in the front. I will testride the 160 soon though, just to be sure.

So, the new focus sam2 got announced and loving the idea. There is one available in my size for end of november. Incredible looking machine and I am a massive fan of the Bosch. The adaption this motor makes to your input is what makes the ebiking even more fun, I find. Would be interested in this, probably as a mullet for some added “fun-ness“. 170mm of travel seems amazing. I am aware that this bike might be a tad overkill, but I want something to grow into and am a fan of downhill style riding.
Also, lets be real, the man child in me loves big, shiny toys. From what Ive gathered it seems to check my boxes, being a down oriented bike that can do lots of up and doesnt get too bored on regular trails, especially with the said mullet. Loving the styling, too, but this isnt as important.

Interested if there are other great bosch options in this price range Im missing. Not that interested in pure online retailers though, to be honest. However, I am very interested in your input!

cheers.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I think the Sam would be a great alternative to the Cube or possibly one of the Canyons/YT's for value?

SenditOTB

Oct 12, 2020
Germany
I think the Sam would be a great alternative to the Cube or possibly one of the Canyons/YT's for value?

dont like the idea of online distributors too much. I think the yt would also be a great fit, but i kinda dislike the old shimano. Its probably still good,but it goes against my core values to pay top price for older tech.. though it does look like an amazing bike.
Test riding the new sam2 in 2 weeks tho, so im very hyped for that!

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
The frame warranty length and the short reach for a Large. My previous normal bike was an XXL Hightower LT which was 515mm in reach versus 470ish on the Cube.

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
My cube.

352CAB50-4A65-4E7E-B516-530979BF1645.jpeg

SenditOTB

Oct 12, 2020
Germany
The frame warranty length and the short reach for a Large. My previous normal bike was an XXL Hightower LT which was 515mm in reach versus 470ish on the Cube.
wow, thats quite the difference. Still a beauty, tho. love the styling of the cubes, but i think performance wise i might be happier with the sam2 ..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles