Levo Gen 2 New Motor Again !!

Pete M

May 13, 2020
Uk
Just some advice

The motor on my 2020 Turbo Levo Comp went kapaw whilst out on a ride today the battery was immediatelyswitched off and i rode home. I took it back to the shop and a new motor is going to be fitted FOC under warranty, this will be my second new motor.

However the bloke I spoke with mentioned they may have to replace the wiring harness at an extra cost of £130, I don't believe that a new harness is necessary as the old one is working fine, I have asked they ring me first before a new harness is fitted for my authority.

Should i just accept i have to have the new parts fitted or challenge the shop or speak to Specialized ?

Note the shop have NOT stated I require a new part as yet as the new motor will take a few days to arrive.

Thanks for any advice.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Maybe they suspect another problem is killing motors; having two go AWOL sounds fishy . .

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
If you have the original 2020 harness it should be replaced. Mine was replaced in 2021 under warranty. The 4-year warranty on the 2020 model applies to the motor. That is why you are being charged for the wiring. My LBS replaced the motor unnecessarily in 2020 when the problem was actually the battery-motor cable. I showed them this video and they then fixed the bike with a new cable. The previous motor replacement did not fix the problem.

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
If you have the original 2020 harness it should be replaced. Mine was replaced in 2021 under warranty. The 4-year warranty on the 2020 model applies to the motor. That is why you are being charged for the wiring. My LBS replaced the motor unnecessarily in 2020 when the problem was actually the battery-motor cable. I showed them this video and they then fixed the bike with a new cable. The previous motor replacement did not fix the problem.
What problem were you having with your motor that did not resolve by changing it for a new one?
I had 3 motor replacements on my bike, and this last one started doing something funny. It’s like at times the power seems to be capped and I can feel some sort of quick fluctuations, like it wants to supply more power but it can’t. I noticed this happening maybe 10% of the ride. Could this be the cable? I’ve never been charged for a new cable…

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
I had to do the wiring harness as well. I know a few others that did as well. It’s a common part failure and that’s the price of the part unfortunately. Should not add to labor cost honestly as it’s right there when u swap the motor. I’d have them do it or risk another failure on a ride. That wiring gets wet easily. The newer harness is better made and more durable.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
The symptom of harness failure for me was random bike shut off. I was able to reset it and get my ride finished a few times. Eventually I couldn’t get it to turn back on.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
What exactly do u mean by wiring harness . Motor to battery or tcu to motor. Had three motors replaced never needed to replace any wiring.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
“Battery cable”

IMG_9641.jpeg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I got one of those a month before motor went 3 months ago . On warranty but cost is £90 from berkshire cycles. Levo wouldn't start without unplugging and plugging that back in a few times . One in your pic is version four . I was asked if there was greenery in motor connection ( corrosion ) there was . Told to plug and unplug to try and get rid of it . They said moisture comes from inside motor out to the connection. Said it before Ebikes still have a long way to go. Well batteries and motors anyway. Im on motor 4 now 8700 miles in four years 19 levo expert . Still original battery and its as good as it ever was. Good luck anyway. Not nice when they go wrong.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles