New battery for my Levo

Pip_509

May 30, 2024
UK
My battery on my 2020 Levo failed with the third green light flashing, the dealer confirmed it needed a new battery. The dealer spoke to Specialized and, although it is 4 years old they agreed to fund 35% of the replacement battery cost, which was helpful. However, when the battery arrived in its box the manufacturing date of the new battery is recorded as 9th Jan 2021. My question to those knowledgeable about this subject is whether a battery that has been sat on a shelf for over 3 years will be healthy. I understand that batteries deteriorate over time, even if not used and the manual suggests that a battery should be charged at least every three months or it may be damaged. I have still paid nearly £600 for the replacement battery and would like views on whether I should just get on with using it or send it back?

Greeno

Jul 6, 2024
San Diego, Cal
My guess is unfortunatly they don’t currently manufacture battery’s for the older gen series so they have to use new “old” stock.
Did they give you a warrenty with the replacement one they sent you?

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I purchased one recently from tredz and had the same manufacturer date.
I did 10 runs at the bikepark on my 2020 battery with 100+ charge cycles, then 10 on the new and they were within a few % of each other.
So either the old battery has not degraded or the new one has, who knows.
Its got 2 years warranty, so im not overly bothered.
The gen3 was the same price so maybe they would be newer? although i expect the battery is the same and they just fit the different rockguard.
I also assume this is why the manufacturer date isnt stamped on the battery, to stop people worrying.

Last edited:

Pip_509

May 30, 2024
UK
Thanks both for your comments. I have started using the replacement battery and it seems fine to me so far so keeping my fingers crossed it continues to perform well. It did come with a two year warranty so that is some comfort.

Greeno

Jul 6, 2024
San Diego, Cal
Coincidentally today I just picked up a brand new, still in box 500w Gen 3 battery for $330 off of Craigslist.
Charging as we speak/ type.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles