Need advice on what DM to use on my FOX 40

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
I want to keep the current rise and length. What Direct Mound stem offers a 10mm height and 60/70mm reach.
6DF0516B-6409-4977-B366-58DC1D6FB47C.jpeg
4FB20506-0E9B-4EEB-968B-82BEF1DCED79.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a 70mm DM stem?

Er... Unlikely you'll have a lot of choice there.

55/60 is probably the longest you'll find TBF.
You may not need 10mm rise as you can drop spacers under the 40's top crown and adjust height that way.
DM Stem spacers that sit under the DM stem raising just the stem are also available and an option.

when choosing a DM stem what to take into consideration
Rise/reach
material - certain alloys are far more suitable for lightweight stem than others 7075 being pretty much optimum strength wise 6061 being around half that strength. (2014 Hope/RF being close to 7075)
Bar clamp diameter
Bar clamp system. (some designs are great some not so much)
weight
price
Aesthetics
Oh... and because it's you... Whether it comes in black with gold highlighting? ;)

I could go full nerd with this so just find a few you like the look of that fit your ideal reach critera. and I'll happily share my honest opinion of it.
TBF you can't go wrong unless you buy an overly light very cheap stem be very wary of those if you're going to be giving the bike a lot of harsh landings or crash regularly

mymodel6

Oct 2, 2018
Hertfordshire
Seeing as you have a 40, there's always the option of the Hope integrated which is very neat and lightweight too, but unless you fit DM stem spacers you will lose some bar height, however all is not lost.
Most people overlook bars with a rise over 25mm but that's a mistake, it can give you more adjustment and also allows you to slam your stem and keep some height which will always look neater. Experiment with rolling your bars to get the right fit (there is no right and wrong here, unlike fitting a regular stem on dual crowns which a crime against humanity!)
Higher rise bars will exaggerate the effect of fore and aft adjustment too so i'm sure you'll get a fit you like, but you have to do something, your bike at the moment is the equivalent of seeing what you think is a fine piece of ass from behind, just find it's an 85 year old leather faced grandma from the front...

mymodel6

Oct 2, 2018
Hertfordshire
I should add though, because the Kenevo has no headset cups the overall head tube length is quite short. The problem i found when i fitted Boxxers to mine is that when you achieve the correct distance between your lower crown and dust wipers, you're left with an undesirable amount of stanchion sticking out of the top crown because they only make drop crowns. They have sorted this with the new Boxxer which comes with a flat top crown. There is a flat top crown available for the 40, i'd be surprised if one doesn't come in the box to be honest, but my point here is that the Hope integrated only comes in drop form, it's something to consider.

My recommendation would be to get that flat crown and any DM stem you like the look of, you can pimp it later with some gold titanium bolts if you like but definitely go with a higher rise bar.
You'll need one anyway to get the height back to where you want it, you could use stem spacers as Gary suggested but they are a totally minging solution to a problem that should really be solved with bar rise.
A lot of pro racers use DM stem spacers at races because it's much easier and quicker to change a stem spacer than it is to swap bars out and they experiment a lot, you seem to know what height you like it should be easy to work out the bar rise you'd need, looks to me like you need bars that are about 10mm higher than the stock ones, 35mm - 40mm would probably be perfect.

I'd go 35mm diameter too, forget the BS spoken about them, they are stiffer, stronger and lighter.

I'd go carbon too.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That RF is 6061... it's the more expensive ones that use the stronger alloy, it also uses a love it or hate it interlocking front face design. and a kind of funky flipable design to get shorter reach. funky as in yeeeww... not disco dancing happy pills funky

The diety is well designed and 7075 - zero deg rise though, which as discussed can be raised either by raising your top crown or by spacer

The Burgtec doesn't say what alu it is (a guy on here works for them so you could ask him) and it comes in 60mm (still not sure why you want a 60mm DH stem though)

Try to read through the specs and narrow your choices down.

Out of the 3 you've chosen if money was not a concern I'd personally go with the Diety.

You didn't say waht bar clamp diameter you need for your bars. Or are you buying new bars too?

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
That RF is 6061... it's the more expensive ones that use the stronger alloy, it also uses a love it or hate it interlocking front face design. and a kind of funky flipable design to get shorter reach. funky as in yeeeww... not disco dancing happy pills funky

The diety is well designed and 7075 - zero deg rise though, which as discussed can be raised either by raising your top crown or by spacer

The Burgtec doesn't say what alu it is (a guy on here works for them so you could ask him) and it comes in 60mm (still not sure why you want a 60mm DH stem though)

Try to read through the specs and narrow your choices down.

Out of the 3 you've chosen if money was not a concern I'd personally go with the Diety.

You didn't say waht bar clamp diameter you need for your bars. Or are you buying new bars too?

Diety was my first choice with the 31 diameter black label bar. Thoughts on rise ? 25mm on the bar ?

Or I can save a buck try stock bar and swap out if I’m not happy.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Diety was my first choice with the 31 diameter black label bar. Thoughts on rise ? 25mm on the bar ?

Or I can save a buck try stock bar and swap out if I’m not happy.
I've absolutely no idea. I don't really know your height, riding style or your bike set up/current bar height. Even if you were a riding buddy I'd known and ridden DH with for years I'd still only ever be able to make a ballpark guess.
I'm really quite particular about my preferred bar height on all my own bikes. So that means they don't all have the same rise or width. Sweep and bar angles are very close though.
some folk aren't quite so bothered, whereas others (me included) tune bar height to within 5mm to get where they like.
Your kenevos (from the pics I've seen in your other thread) look to already have very high bars but they also have way higher BB heights than I'd ever run.
Have you played around with bar height? and do you understand the effect lower or higher bikes have on the handling and know your own preference?
If yes to all of that stick somewhere close to where you are now. If no to any of it play around with height until you're happy and choose bars to match the rise you're aiming for.

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
@Gary I guess it’s a no so I have work at it more. I’ve never had a all Mountian bike I was on a sworks epic hardtail 29er before.

I’d like better turning but doubt want to make the bike twitchy.

I also don’t want to be to aggressive in the cockpit.

Thanks for your help

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
hahah... That thing is never going to be twitchy.

if it was mine I'd be looking at lowering it (a lot) and slackening out the head angle by a couple of degrees. But that might be tricky depending on headset standard/clearance for shock eyelet reducers.

If you have access to other (used) rise bars, play around and see what you get on with (and don't)

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
and shit

Phew.. you dodged a bullet there. Renthal stems are shit. One brand I'd never buy a stem from.

and by shit I mean poor designs AND poor material choice

So really I’m down to two options race face who has a weak metal compared to my other choice diety. Diety is clean but would require me to buy a new bar race face is less attractive but less money.

3E304864-312A-4689-B01F-8E9CE318E8D5.png

B8160116-98C4-4C77-A388-D2A939A70E6F.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You know my choice between those two.

It's really all down to you. Strength and lightness generally speaking does usually cost more.
If you're not bothered about strength there are plenty other cheap options in 6061.Infact if you're not bothered about strength or lightness and just want something cheap take your pick:

direct mount stem | Chain Reaction Cycles

You can sort them into bar diameter and stem length by ticking the corresponding box down the side. It's a pity you're so stuck on wanting such a long stem really.

Ps. I don't think you've actually said what diameter bars you have or whether you have a preference.

Last edited:

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
You know my choice between those two.

It's really all down to you. Strength and lightness generally speaking does usually cost more.
If you're not bothered about strength there are plenty other cheap options in 6061.Infact if you're not bothered about strength or lightness and just want something cheap take your pick:

direct mount stem | Chain Reaction Cycles

You can sort them into bar diameter and stem length by ticking the corresponding box down the side. It's a pity you're so stuck on wanting such a long stem really.

Ps. I don't think you've actually said what diameter bars you have or whether you have a preference.

I’m not stuck on the length just have long arms and regular legs so I bought a large kenevo with the intention of running a stem to fit right. But things changed visually after the bike was built. What looked nice on paper did not in person.

And money is not an issue so I prefer the diety, what’s your beef with RF?

31.8 bars stock. As of now.

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I’m not stuck on the length just have long arms and regular legs so I bought a large kenevo with the intention of running a stem to fit right. But things changed visually after the bike was built. What looked nice on paper did not in person.

And money is not an issue so I prefer the diety, what’s your beef with them ?

31.8 bars stock. As of now.

I could get you the Deity for 31.8
A66B7C3B-EF73-4783-9A60-4A387A4017BF.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Go see Al. He seems a sound guy

even if he doesn't realise pirates are fucking awesome!

*The above statement is based on romantic notion and in no way approves of slavery in any form

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Go see Al. He seems a sound guy

even if he doesn't realise pirates are fucking awesome!

*The above statement is based on romantic notion and in no way approves of slavery in any form
Like most things @Gary I like something else just to be contrary. Vikings are way cooler and way awesomer than pirates*

*The above statement was based on the portrayal of Vikings in literature, folklore and Black Metal music and is no way supporting or condoning murder, rape, sailing or other atrocities committed by Vikings in history

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles