My Trek Rail Long Termer

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
9.8XT long term impressions. Absolutely love the bike and the bosch motor. Feel that I bought into the correct system.

Negatives....34T chainring is too small and it's proximity to the chainstay is a mis-step for such a powerful bike. Key needed to put the battery back in is a pain. Charger port on bike broke within a few months so just taped it shut. Euro nanny speed limit is horseshit but luckily there's lots of options to fix that. Zeb is OK but I still prefer fox. Shimano over SRAM for slick shifting every day of the week. Hub engagement is great with 108 pts? 29 er roll over everything and the power of the motor is amazing. No mullet here. Flip chip set to high to avoid pedal strikes most of the time.

Still love the bike. Break stuff every week and it's tough to find replacement parts but still love this bike. Might buy a turbo levo 2022 just to compare to what they are doing.

9p8xt.PNG

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Rob did you end up sliding more rear brake line through after watching your video? I can see now how mine started leaking after a few bottom outs.

aviserated

Aug 18, 2021
Oxford GA
Fall line R Forehead seat post mount will correct effective seat angle. About $40.00 US dollars.

It's good to know that my Rail 5 ranks right up there with the best.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Thanks for the long term review. Early days with my 9.8XT and only issue so far has been self induced (wrecked rear wheel). Going to change the stock saddle as I find it too slippery and will probably also change the tyres for something grippier. Otherwise have spent too much on just buying it without wanting (or needing) to spend much more on it.

I do like the concept of buying the base model and upgrading where necessary to achieve your perfect bespoke machine. May well do that with my next bike.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Loved your video on the Rail Rob, especially as I keep getting drawn to one myself, although, as with everything else they are pretty impossible to source at the moment and will be, for the model I fancy, until 2024 according to one website :eek:. One thing I particularly liked was the weight of 23 kg but apparently I might be disappointed on that score also.

What I did wonder was, how much would that bike have cost you, or more particularly me, if all your upgrades had to be purchased in order to create your perfect bike. We don't all have a spare set of forks sitting around or a sponsor with some nice wheels to give away, unfortunately.

Last edited:

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight
Rob was noticing the front light you had mounted on the bike in the video, which one is it and what do you think of it?

Details in here:

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Hi @Rob Rides EMTB, fantastic video there, it really resonated with me.
All too often I see reviews complain about the build kit and selection of components on top end builds when I think to myself, if you're that picky, why not buy the base model and over time upgrade to exactly the components you want.
Sometimes you'll find that components work perfectly well and you can leave them be and save some cash e.g. the Deore brakes. Other times you benefit from the upgrade, but it's nice to find this out yourself, rather than be dictated to by the product manager, who was probably motivated by the bulk discount they could receive on either Shimano or SRAM rather than the benefit it would deliver to the ride! For example, if you had started with nice wheels you would have no idea what they were doing to contribute to the feeling of the bike and wouldn't appreciate them.

Personally this is how I view a bike purchase; is it good enough value out of the box, and what is the long term potential; will it grow with you over time as your skills/requirements/fashions change.

It's hard work doing a long term review, but it tells me a lot more about what a particular bike is like to live with. P.S. can't wait to see the long-long term update to see how this project evolves.

Well done for calling out the locking mechanism. I have the same issue with my Steps external battery lock. Why waste money on Carbon, when a simple Allen bolt could have saved you way more time/money/frustration. I would love to see an after market product to remove the lock from the Shimano system.

P.P.S. did you forget to post the video on the EMTB forums home page?

Last edited:

pmcc

Feb 14, 2021
Northern Ireland
Details in here:

Great thanks 👍

I see magicshine now have a ME 2000 light for ebikes which max output should be closer to the bosch limit. Discount code seems to work on that one too.

Thesag

Feb 27, 2021
Fort Worth; Texas USA
I did the same thing. Bought a Rail 5 and I’m slowly upgrading it. Went full coil suspension and my next upgrade is the brakes. Not loving the Tekro’s at all. The rear brake seems to fade pretty bad.

It will be as expensive as one of the higher end models when I’m done, but it will have the kit I want. Yeah it won’t be carbon but I don’t really care that much about that. I almost don’t care about weight at all when it comes to this thing.

mtndug

May 21, 2020
Ashland Oregon, USA
Nice review-I've got the same bike and the same color (excellent taste)! I've got about 1200km on the bike and just replaced rotors/pads front and rear. Other than that nothing has gone wrong. With acoustic bikes I used to kill my chain frequently-I guess this original chain is built stonger.
I love the power and the big wheels that roll right over most anything. The bike deserves a better rider, but I couldn't be happier, although I find the length and the weight of it a challenge compared to my old cross country bikes.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Uploaded my 1000Km update on the rail

Yes, nice riding ebike or any other ride for that matter, especially for full 29’ hefty ride.

My quibbles after 8 months of hard riding (over 2,700 miles) is that battery life is quite weak and seems to lessen over time for some reason. Also, battery to electronic plate connection is poor with power short whenever riding jarring terrain even with new battery alignment mounting plate. I have to run two very tight tension straps around frame and battery to minimize disconnectivity of power source. Bike rattle is pretty bad as well. Thought initially was all coming from poor fitting tolerance of battery RIB system despite many battery realignments by Trek, but realized a lot of it coming from motor clutch while thumping down trails. Also, pivot bearings at lower shock mount pivot don’t hold up well due to all the vertical forces on them and main pivot and ABP pivot bearings seized and creaked up not before long as well. Most all stock 12 speed crap including cassette, hub was roasted in under a month (10 speed Shimano convert here). Bontrager rear rim lasted only a few weeks with tire liners and 30-32 psi.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Yes, nice riding ebike or any other ride for that matter, especially for full 29’ hefty ride.

My quibbles after 8 months of hard riding (over 2,700 miles) is that battery life is quite weak and seems to lessen over time for some reason. Also, battery to electronic plate connection is poor with power short whenever riding jarring terrain even with new battery alignment mounting plate. I have to run two very tight tension straps around frame and battery to minimize disconnectivity of power source. Bike rattle is pretty bad as well. Thought initially was all coming from poor fitting tolerance of battery RIB system despite many battery realignments by Trek, but realized a lot of it coming from motor clutch while thumping down trails. Also, pivot bearings at lower shock mount pivot don’t hold up well due to all the vertical forces on them and main pivot and ABP pivot bearings seized and creaked up not before long as well. Most all stock 12 speed crap including cassette, hub was roasted in under a month (10 speed Shimano convert here). Bontrager rear rim lasted only a few weeks with tire liners and 30-32 psi.

Bosch motor just ok too. On my second motor in 8 months with warranty replacement by Bosch just 4 months into bike. ECO setting very weak and practically irrelevant on trail, especially compared to friends Shimano and Brose motors with much powerful settings, especially ECO and is adjustable. With that said, new 750 w/hr battery with new electronics and Flow App for 2022 looks like step in right direction.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
It’s not Eco that’s weak…
I do use as much as possible (ECO) on most access roads climbs. Level of assist (like 20-25%) to weight and drag of bike is pretty weak in my opinion. Prior to ebike last late winter, 4-5,000ft vertical gains on any given ride (regular bike ) was my norm (about 500,000ft total climbing vert/year). So fairly strong internal motor here 😁

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I think eco is too powerful. I wish it was a “neutral” setting that kind of just compensated for the eight of the bike. So if you are out with people on regular bikes you could be on their level. I freeze my ass off in winter if I’m with regular bikers and try to stay in eco and keep with them.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
So I basically stopped riding my ebike with friends that are on regular bikes
Yeah, regular bike and ebike riders don’t mix well from my experience. I do have a couple slower ebike pals, that is best I ride my regular bike with. Would be awful to ride with regular bike buds while on ebike and stay together most the ride. Definitely regular bike ride in those cases. I personally have best e-rides when solo, since buzzing at my own pace or on time limit and want to get a decent ride in.

Big07

Aug 23, 2020
Australia
I really respect Rob and enjoy the content that he puts out.

However personally I don't think 1000km is enough to call something a long term review or find out the many issues that appear over time.
When I demoed a Rail before buying one I put 300km on the bike in the 3 days I had it.

I've done 3800km on my Rail and it's garbage. I would not recommend it to anyone.

The pros:
- Good value
- The bike is fantastic to ride, feels really good. It makes an excellent first impression.
- I have no complaints about the battery/motor.
- 2nd owner warranty
- good resale value as the brand is very popular

Cons
- Can feel a little nose heavy compared to a 500wh ebike. I only really noticed at first when riding bigger jumps/drops and quickly became accustomed to it.
- The paint is extremely fragile. The paintwork is very easily damaged. Frameskin or similar is an absolute must.
- The design of the battery mount is fundamentally flawed from an engineering perspective. Trek have a new part that is available to order on request to address this issue, but owners usually only find out after their battery takes a tumble down the hill.
- Warranty and after sales support is awful. Trek don't have enough parts available for their ebikes, so whatever you break/damage, etc.. will take months to replace. Unless you have bike industry connections, or have spent 30k+ with your shop over the years they simply will not take care of you. Rear hubs, lower shock mount bolts, speed sensors and more have all failed for some owners and getting replacements is a months long process. Even getting them to agree on warranty issues is tough.
- The 'knock block' feature has cracked frames around the headset/top tube on carbon frames.
- Rear hubs frequently fail

If you get a Rail, sell it when the warranty expires.

As far as the battery and battery mounts go, this design is simply not suitable for aggressive emtb use. It has no place on a mountain bike. It only exists because it's a generic 'off the shelf' system that works perfectly in many of the city / commuter ebikes. For carbon frames the fact that each end is held in with only two small bolts causes numerous issues when used for mountain biking. The system also does nothing to stop water/mud/dirt/etc.. getting into the frame to affect both the battery and run down to the motor.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I don't think 1000km is enough to call something a long term review
When I demoed a Rail before buying one I put 300km on the bike in the 3 days I had it.
I've done 3800km on my Rail and it's garbage. I would not recommend it to anyone.
Criticising Rob for a 1000km test when you did 300km and still bought only to decide it’s garbage is hilarious. I wonder how many other reviews have hit 1000km? Not many I’d wager.
I’ve got nearly 5000 UK km on my Rail and the battery hasn’t fallen out once, perhaps it’s faulty…😂
Thanks for the physics lesson too, who knew that a heavier thing at the front of a thing would make the thing seem front heavy… 🙄
I’ve never had a problem with Trek’s warranty process; my Rail is a product of that process. I broke my Powerfly frame and it took them 24 hours to approve the claim and authorise the new bike.

Dr. Don

Mar 1, 2020
USA
Thanks to Rob for this special, personal review of the Rail. I have 2300 miles on a 2021 Rail 9.7. I love it as well, and I do not regret my purchase in the least. No problems with the battery. The paint, especially on the exterior battery panel, did chip fairly easily--I opted for a cheap, custom helicopter tape job and the issue was resolved. The chainring/chainstay design problem varies from bike to bike--mine is too close for comfort. I frequently check the tightness of the chainring and don't worry about it. My bike has been extremely reliable (only regular maintenance required--tune-ups, chain, cassette, brake pads). The bike is stable as a mule, lively, empowering (lots of power) and extremely smooth. The riding experience can be sublime. I myself like the 2.6, 120TPI stock tires--no flats in 2300 miles, with the exception of a 6 inch nail puncture (still able to reinflate and hobble home)--these tires are also perfect for dry, loose, rocky conditions (my riding environment). Stock suspension and brakes have also been good to me.

Thanks again Rob!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles